Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Spygate Revelations

New Spygate Revelations

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/9/8...bill-belichick

Patriots staffers would dress like media members, covering team logos on their clothing or turning sweatshirts inside out to hide their team gear. They would also wear badges, credentials marked for Patriots TV or Kraft Productions. That trick came in handy when the league, in cooperation with the Jets, set up a sting to catch the Patriots in the act.

The assembled tapes would typically include three shots, one for the down and distance, a shot of the signals and close up of a cheerleader's skirt or top.

Patriots employees would go through a visiting team's hotel looking for playbooks and other materials left behind. They would also send a staffer into an opponent's locker room to steal play sheets with the first 20 scripted plays on them.
    Many assume this is why Goddell went hard after the Pats. If any of this new revelation is true I can't believe that both Kraft and Belichick have skated to the extent they have.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: New Spygate Revelations

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/9/8...bill-belichick

Many assume this is why Goddell went hard after the Pats. If any of this new revelation is true I can't believe that both Kraft and Belichick have skated to the extent they have.
    These are things they should have went after them in a timely fashion for...instead they worried about the integrity of the league.

The NFL and Pats both look awful...

So, instead of going after the Pats for this stuff, they focus on a few underinflated balls? And then they punish Brady, who may have instructed that the balls be underinflated but didn't actually deflate them himself, with a suspension equal to someone who failed a PED test and twice as many games as Ray Rice's original suspension? Boggles the mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

5. Likes:

M2 (09-08-2015),nmculbreth (09-08-2015),Revering4Blue (09-08-2015),Slyder (09-08-2015),TRF (09-08-2015)

Darn it I had a bet with a friend that someone would try and get rich on reveling the depth of spygate in a tell-all book.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    These are things they should have went after them in a timely fashion for...instead they worried about the integrity of the league.

The NFL and Pats both look awful...
    Here is the thing with the NFL. People try and use everyday logic with the way the league operates when in reality it is one big corporation with 32 entities. They operate with anti-trust exemption and by the collective bargaining agreement every single player in the NFL has agreed to. The owners can do what they want as long as their "employees" have agreed to it.

I understand why the NFL destroyed the Spygate evidence, the circumstantial evidence is pretty damning, could you imagine if that got out at that time? The NFL team that became the last dynasty had done it via cheating? Had done it by stealing information? Those guys in that room had to know eventually something was going to get out, just were hoping it was muted.

Young and the Restless is much better than the NFL vs. the Patriots.

The NFL needs to take this more seriously, in general.

The integrity of the game is always the biggest thing. You lose that and people will tune out, eventually.

When I watch the Patriots dominating now, this is always in the back of my mind. Great coach, great QB, but they rarely seem to face adversity and you wonder after awhile if stuff like this is the edge that makes that happen.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

10. Likes:

dougdirt (09-10-2015)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Covering up cheating hurts the integrity of the game...the logic us nutty.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Covering up cheating hurts the integrity of the game...the logic us nutty.
    Covering up is required to protect the territory gained and desire to keep it. Cheaters cover up because it is their nature to be dishonest. They often come clean only when it does not cost them anything to do so and it is too late to punish them, with an aim to clearing their consciences, or to make more money off of their cheating when all the money is gone from their cheating. Cheat, get rich, or famous, or considered the best, then get as much mileage as you can from there.

By the way, Goodell is just as much a cheater in all this with his ruse handling of things and clear conflict of interest. The owners are all cheaters as well because they want the league to keep laying the golden eggs. But in this day and age, folks will wag their heads, throw out a few barbs and shame on you, grab a beer, and watch games all day Sunday, tune in Monday night, Thursday night, and watch the NFL Network when nothing else is on.
    Last edited by traderumor; 09-08-2015 at 05:30 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-08-2015)

I did not see it mentioned in the article, but the "heroic" play to end the Super Bowl with the Seahawks, well, its as if the "hero" knew exactly what play was coming.

Also, the depth of corruption here and the recent FBI investigation of the Cardinals...MLB coverup ensuing...you know, just a few low level employees involved meme...

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I did not see it mentioned in the article, but the "heroic" play to end the Super Bowl with the Seahawks, well, its as if the "hero" knew exactly what play was coming.
    I made that interception a couple of times in HS. It's a pretty simple read. Keep the QB in your sites, step in front of the receiver when the ball gets released. If you're covering that receiver or that zone, then it's a pretty straightforward play.

On a separate note, maybe it's because I'm not a football fan anymore, but I have a hard time getting riled up about spying in a sport that is essentially a mock war. It's got trenches, blitzes, bombs, flanks, formations, a neutral zone, the red zone. It's a highly marshalled game. They stop it every few seconds, re-establish the battle lines and reset the formations. An interchangeable group of soldiers wearing body armor are shuffled on and off the field.

Or, to quote George Carlin, "In Football, the object is for the quarterback, otherwise known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz, even if he has to use the shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing his aerial assault with a sustained ground attack, which punches holes in the forward wall of the enemies’ defensive line."

Spying is part of war. Makes sense that it would be employed in football, where teams use complex signalling systems to relay information to their forces. No one gets angry that Alan Turing decoded the Enigma machine or Station HYPO cracked the Japanese code book, revealing plans for the attack on Midway. Of course football teams are trying to crack those codes. Even in HS football we were trying to figure out the other team's signals and patterns.

Football has got double agents. Players will spill everything they know about their former team's playbook when they join a new franchise. Why wouldn't teams employ A/V equipment or hacking to gain similar knowledge? People love football exactly because it's the most military of our sports, so how are espionage and intrigue bad things? They're just another layer to the hostilities, the game within the game. If all's fair in love and war, then why not football too?
    Last edited by M2; 09-10-2015 at 01:37 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

16. Likes:

westofyou (09-10-2015)

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Spying is part of war. Makes sense that it would be employed in football, where teams use complex signalling systems to relay information to their forces. No one gets angry that ...
    In the real world ... Angry? Spies get executed! Spying is expected and the consequences are dire if one gets caught doing so.

In the NFL ... I don't fault anyone for trying to get an edge ... just understand there is probably a price to pay if you get caught. Up to each team and individual to make that decision. I wouldn't want them to be executed (unless it was the Steelers), but I have no problem with exacting a few pounds of flesh.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Not so sure about that since 98% of the people thought a run was coming.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Not so sure about that since 98% of the people thought a run was coming.
    Right but the db read pass. That makes my point.

M2, spying is allowed in football just not this type. Just like there are war crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    In the real world ... Angry? Spies get executed! Spying is expected and the consequences are dire if one gets caught doing so.
    No one likes the other side's spies, but your own side's spies are heroes. I'm just saying, there's no war without spying. War in general is pretty dire. To it's credit, football has removed the fatal aspects of war from the equation.
    Last edited by M2; 09-10-2015 at 03:52 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?