Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bull Durham

Re: Bull Durham

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Sports movies?

Hoosiers

Everything else
    Hoosiers is great
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Likes:

Hoosier Red (09-28-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Hoosiers is great
    It's no Slapshot, but it's ok.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

5. Likes:

Hoosier Red (09-28-2015)

Hoosiers is great
    David Anspaugh lives in Bloomington; I had drinks in a bar a couple weeks ago and he was there. I kept thinking the guy looked familiar and it finally clicked toward the end of the night. It's kind of hard to get near him, though. Everyone wants to hang with him.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Bull Durham

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    It's no Slapshot, but it's ok.
    Are you being facetious? Because I really like Slap Shot. I also really like Hoosiers. In fact, I might put them on the very opposite ends of what a sports movie can be.

Hoosiers -- sports is about inspirational teamwork and compelling individual stories

Slap Shot -- sports is an irreverent, bloody festival of masculinity

What I like about both films is they are genuine and unaffected about that vision and pursue it to the end.
    Last edited by RedEye; 09-28-2015 at 10:19 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

8. Likes:

CySeymour (09-29-2015),westofyou (09-28-2015)

Bull Durham

Are you being facetious? Because I really like Slap Shot. I also really like Hoosiers. In fact, I might put them on the very opposite ends of what a sports movie can be.

Hoosiers -- sports is about inspirational teamwork and compelling individual stories

Slap Shot -- sports is an irreverent, bloody festival of masculinity

What I like about both films is they are genuine and unaffected about that vision and pursue it to the end.
    Slap Shot is classic, patients running the asylum 70s cinema. Very Altman

Hoosiers is classic underdog Hollywood depiction of the middle of the country cinema. Very Reagan era

Both great, both completely different in structure

10. Likes:

RedEye (09-29-2015),RFS62 (09-30-2015),RichRed (10-14-2015)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I absolutely loved Hoosiers. Not only is it based on a true story(Milan defeating Muncie Central in 1954 to win the state championship) but two of the characters I have met. I played HS ball against Rade(Steve Hollar), who in real life played on the 1984 Warsaw team that won a state title. The announcer for the championship game was Hilliard Gates. In real life he was a sports broadcaster out of Fort Wayne, I had the pleasure of chatting with him in 1985.

Slap Shot is my all time favorite sports movie and easily in my top 5 movies of all time and I dont know a damn thing about hockey.

I could have been an extra in Hoosiers had I sold enough raffle tickets at my HS but I was to lazy. Plus no one had a clue at the time the movie would go on to be this popular. It would of been in the scene where Hickory got in the fight. One down side is my classmates who were in the crowd had to get 1950 style haircuts. I was to cool for that.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 09-29-2015 at 12:05 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

13. Likes:

IslandRed (09-30-2015),RedEye (09-29-2015),westofyou (09-29-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Slap Shot is my all time favorite sports movie and easily in my top 5 movies of all time and I dont know a damn thing about hockey.

I could have been an extra in Hoosiers had I sold enough raffle tickets at my HS but I was to lazy. It would of been the scene where Hickory got in the fight. One down side is my classmates who were in the crowd had to get 1950 style haircuts. I was to cool for that.
    You got a problem with a "flat top"? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    You got a problem with a "flat top"? LOL
    My dad has worn one his entire life.

He was quite the square in the 60's.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    My dad has worn one his entire life.

He was quite the square in the 60's.
    I am sporting one now......it takes a lot of the grey out!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I absolutely loved Hoosiers. Not only is it based on a true story(Milan defeating Muncie Central in 1954 to win the state championship) but two of the characters I have met. I played HS ball against Rade(Steve Hollar), who in real life played on the 1984 Warsaw team that won a state title. The announcer for the championship game was Hilliard Gates. In real life he was a sports broadcaster out of Fort Wayne, I had the pleasure of chatting with him in 1985.
    I was looking at the FB page of a long time business acquaintance and friend and long story short, he is related by marriage to the actor who played Jimmy Chitwood. I never knew, he just kept it kinda hush, hush.

Also the gym where Hickory got in the fight at is the grade school both my mom and wife went to St Phillip Neri, and let me tell you it is a small gym.

If you are ever in Knightstown, Indiana check out the gym that was the home court for Hickory. The team picture is still on the wall as is alot if the banners that were in the movie.

Lot of the Grade Schools in my day were those schools as large as Hickory

Lot of the Grade Schools in my day were those schools as large as Hickory
    My job as an electrical contractor takes me to schools all over the state. I enjoy old architecture and the old schools have some amazing work in em.

Brad Long (Buddy) came to my high school every year to sell class rings. Seemed pretty nice, wasn't afraid to mention that he was in Hoosiers.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Slap Shot is classic, patients running the asylum 70s cinema. Very Altman
    I often think George Roy Hill is a surprisingly overlooked director. In addition to Slap Shot, which we have already covered:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) - More remembered for Newman/Redford, but it is a fine picture in terms of technique as well

The World According to Garp (1987) - Again, more remembered for acting (Williams and Lithgow) but it is a pretty darn good adaptation of the novel

The Sting (1973) - Another absolute classic, but often talked about more as a genre pic than a directorial film

Slaughterhouse-Five (1972) - Maybe Hill was a glutton for punishment, and many don't like this film, but I think he did a pretty good job with a very difficult novel by Vonnegut

I will not, however defend Funny Farm (1988). That movie just sucks.

Turn Off Ads?