Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Samsung Smart TV issues

Samsung Smart TV issues

Is anyone else having issues with their Samsung Smart TVs? The past few days I have been unable to get many of my apps in the Smart Hub to work. Hulu Plus is all fouled up and won't let me log in. TWC app gives me a login but can't connect. Amazon instant video says it requires an update, and Samsung Apps Store gives me a Network interference error, so I can't even delete the apps that aren't functioning and try reinstalling them. I wonder if it's a problem on Samsung's end but I can't find a decent repository that might give me information on outages or bugs that are being patched. It's so frustrating I may just go invest in a Roku device and just give up on Smart Hubbard altogether.

It's not a router issue because some apps, like Netflix function properly. My TV and other devices connect to the router no problem.
    Last edited by Yachtzee; 09-23-2015 at 12:48 AM.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Samsung Smart TV issues

It's probably on Samsung's end. Not that I've owned their TVs before, but enough of their products to know that any Samsung related software is gonna screw up more often than most other softwares.

If your internet is working and your TV isn't, it's a TV problem. I'd talk to Samsung to see what's going wrong on their end.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Get a Roku device. Smart TVs are really dumb.

This is probably a Samsung issue. My understanding is that all communication goes through their servers. If their servers go down, so does the service.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I've never heard of a smart TV that actually works well when it comes to the "smart" stuff. I have two of them in the house. Both have a Roku hooked up to them because the "smart" apps suck and cause one tv to overheat and turn itself off and the other one has the worst app interface, on all of the apps, that you've seen in the last 10 years or so.

I have a samsung smart TV and it works wonderfully. Used it last night to watch The Mindy Project on Hulu.

I never have issues and use it for netflix, hulu, etc. very often.

I refuse to turn on the Samsung smart functions. I don't want them listening in on my household and doing what they've been doing with that data.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

8. Likes:

klw (09-24-2015)

Well, now not even Netflix is working. I'm thinking I might just pick up a Roku stick tomorrow. It seems like every time Samsung updates the tv, the Smart TV functions deteriorate. Plus, they just keep adding apps for things like watching Indian TV or Korean dramas, but not much in the way of things I'd actually want to watch.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I refuse to turn on the Samsung smart functions. I don't want them listening in on my household and doing what they've been doing with that data.
    Do you have a smart phone? It's doing the same thing. What about an Xbox 360 w/Kinect or an Xbox One? Yep, also doing the same thing. Know anyone with a smart phone? It's listening to you. That's the age we live in.

But, you can just turn off the listening feature on the TV. http://www.cnet.com/how-to/samsung-smart-tv-spying/

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Do you have a smart phone? It's doing the same thing. What about an Xbox 360 w/Kinect or an Xbox One? Yep, also doing the same thing. Know anyone with a smart phone? It's listening to you. That's the age we live in.

But, you can just turn off the listening feature on the TV. http://www.cnet.com/how-to/samsung-smart-tv-spying/
    That still doesn't turn it off though.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    That still doesn't turn it off though.
    Are you sure?

But either way, it's not a big deal. If you go out in public, you're being recorded. Everyone has a smart phone. And they are ALL listening to you. New cars? Listening to you. Laptops? Tablets? Yep. They listen to you too.

Alright, so I went out and bought a Roku stick and the irony is, Samsung sent out an update to fix the Smart TV issues. Sure enough it's working again. But since I have no faith in it to continue to work, I'm sticking with the Roku stick.

14. Likes:

dougdirt (09-26-2015)

I don't play video games. I don't look at youtube on my smartphone. I don't listen to music on it. I don't download apps...any apps. I get rid of all the ones on it that I am allowed to get rid of. My Samsung smartphone does not have a listening function on my smartphone that I don't have control over.

As far as turning off the listening feature on the Samsung TV, I have it off, but I simply don't trust them. They've proven through this "listening/spying case" to not be trustworthy.

John Snowden is an American Hero and a Patriot.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sure?

But either way, it's not a big deal. If you go out in public, you're being recorded. Everyone has a smart phone. And they are ALL listening to you. New cars? Listening to you. Laptops? Tablets? Yep. They listen to you too.
    No, they don't. Those are controllable. It's a matter of principle and permission. There are Amendments to the Constitution dedicated to this.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I don't play video games. I don't look at youtube on my smartphone. I don't listen to music on it. I don't download apps...any apps. I get rid of all the ones on it that I am allowed to get rid of. My Samsung smartphone does not have a listening function on my smartphone that I don't have control over.

As far as turning off the listening feature on the Samsung TV, I have it off, but I simply don't trust them. They've proven through this "listening/spying case" to not be trustworthy.

- - - Updated - - -

No, they don't. Those are controllable. It's a matter of principle and permission. There are Amendments to the Constitution dedicated to this.
    Wait, Samsung has proven that they can't be trusted? Where did that happen?

I'm confused here. You have a Samsung smartphone, but it CAN be trusted, yet the TV can't be? They are literally using the exact same technology in the exact same way.

And the Constitution isn't in play here. You are allowing these devices to listen to you by agreeing to the terms of service. Just like when someone says "I'm recording this phone call" and you don't hang up, you're giving them permission to legally wiretap the conversation.

It's a lot of fuss over things that 10 other devices you can see in any Starbucks is also doing. The only difference is, Samsung actually told people how it actually works.

Isn't his name Edward Snowden?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Isn't his name Edward Snowden?
    That's just what they want you to think....
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Turn Off Ads?