Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 9/27/2015 Reds vs Mets JV

Re: 9/27/2015 Reds vs Mets JV

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I wish I could understand this.

Bruce has a 9% walk rate. It's a good walk rate for a power hitter. It's average for Bruce lifetime. He walks plenty.

All the rest of his OBP is his batting average. Those are by far and away the key components.

Yet posters care about OBP and don't care about BA. When BA is directly responsible for his low OBP.

Sorry, I just don't get this.
    Fair point, Bruce's low OBP is due to his lack of base hits.

But you can, of course, have a good OBP without a high batting average.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Fair point, Bruce's low OBP is due to his lack of base hits.

But you can, of course, have a good OBP without a high batting average.
    It's difficult. Most on base events are hits. Walks happen much less often than hits. In baseball this year, there have been more than three times as many hits than walks (over 40,000 hits v. over 13,000 walks.) Even Joey Votto, the king of walks, has more hits than walks this season.

This is why I believe the best stats people still understand the importance of batting average.

It is not the be-all and end-all stat. It doesn't tell us everything. But BA does tell us the frequency of hitting safely which is a huge component of on base ability.
    Last edited by Kc61; 09-27-2015 at 03:11 PM.

I just wish Bruce played better.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

5. Likes:

oneupper (09-27-2015),Red Raindog (09-27-2015)

Solid relief outing for Lorenzen, HR aside.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

10 k's. Maybe we'll get pizza.

The people in the row in front of us won a Reds jersey and 2 posters. We got zippo.

I think we probably shouldn't confuse our young arms with the Mets', as I've seen some on the ORG do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I just wish Bruce played better.
    Watch him do so for someone else next year.

Bruce will never play up to expectations (800 OPS?) until he learns to stop trying to pull everything he sees. His best freakin friend figured it out and decided he was not going tolet the shift beat him --Bruce gives in to it --it's as if he and Votto have never talked about hitting for one minute. He's still a guess hitter and that ok --I'm amazed at how badly he guesses. His whole swing and approach need re-tooled.

I've noticed that Jim Kelch has done play-by-play for every inning today, with Doug Flynn providing only color commentary throughout the game. A refreshing change.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

11. Likes:

KittyDuran (09-27-2015),marcshoe (09-27-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post

Watch him do so for someone else next year.
    The Paul O'Neil syndrome.

The game wasn't on TV here, so I did some honey-do stuff. My phone kept blowing up with score updates from At Bat, so I didn't turn the radio on (SiriusXM). It truly is embarrassing to watch this. It's obvious to all men and women that Sampson is simply not MLB material, the bullpen is simply horrible--at least most of them most of the time, there is no reason on earth to play Schumaker at any time, and leaving Chapman to rot in the bullpen is the most ridiculous decision a field general can make (though it would have done no good today). There is nothing to watch, so people aren't coming. I had planned to be there this weekend, but just couldn't decide to make the six-hour drive to see this mess. I've been a solid Reds fan since birth, but if moves aren't made to stabilize this staff and get some real outfielders, it's going to be the same next year and even 2017. It's not a pretty picture. It wouldn't surprise me to see this team lose out.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Reds may win one today. The Mets will be all hungover and not really interested in playing today. May be the last win of the year for the Reds. So enjoy it.
    I was a dummy for thinking the Reds could win with Sampson pitching. He along with three or four other pitchers are not major league pitchers. I really doubt the Reds will win another game this season. Looks like the number two pick at least. Maybe they have a shot at number one? But it doesn't matter. They would probably pick some high school kid who we won't see for five years and then only as a back up catcher.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    How 40 years makes a difference. On this date in 1975 the Reds put out a lineup almost the same as this one. Only Rettenmund had replaced Griffey. It was the last day of these season and the Reds were 107-54 and about 20 games ahead of the Dodgers. The Reds won that day and rolled into the playoffs. Now this year the team is almost the exact opposite. They can't even be competitive.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?