Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Liquid Water Flowing on Mars

Re: Liquid Water Flowing on Mars

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Now they're saying that there's water on Pluto too. Plus somehow they know that it has a gorgeous blue sky. How can they have a gorgeous blue sky so far away from the sun?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/scienc...n-dwarf-planet
    Because the Sun is humongous.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Slightly on-topic -- I saw The Martian last night, and it was outstanding.
    Hilarious Lord of the Rings reference sequence, which my son had to explain to me.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

4. Likes:

Raisor (10-10-2015)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Hilarious Lord of the Rings reference sequence, which my son had to explain to me.
    I hate all of you.

6. Likes:

SunDeck (10-10-2015)

Here's a fun fact: There is an international agreement, signed in the 1960's that states that no country can have direct physical contact with water found on an celestial body for fear of contamination.

So yeah. There is water on Mars, Pluto, possibly Charon, and probably Saturn's moons Enceladus and Europa. Can't analyze though. Can only look at it.

Kind of a bummer.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Slightly on-topic -- I saw The Martian last night, and it was outstanding.
    It really was great. Best movie I've seen this year.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Here's a fun fact: There is an international agreement, signed in the 1960's that states that no country can have direct physical contact with water found on an celestial body for fear of contamination.

So yeah. There is water on Mars, Pluto, possibly Charon, and probably Saturn's moons Enceladus and Europa. Can't analyze though. Can only look at it.

Kind of a bummer.
    I'm assuming a new agreement can be signed.

10. Likes:

Stray (10-10-2015)

Kind of a bummer.
    Once we get past the massive dangers of traveling outside of Earth's protective magnetic field, any life we'd ever find on another planet is scary. I mean, a simple bacteria or virus that Earthlings have never seen would be lethal.

By the time we figure out how we'll get there and back safely, we will have some sort of method in place to protect ourselves and the world we're visiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Once we get past the massive dangers of traveling outside of Earth's protective magnetic field, any life we'd ever find on another planet is scary. I mean, a simple bacteria or virus that Earthlings have never seen would be lethal.

By the time we figure out how we'll get there and back safely, we will have some sort of method in place to protect ourselves and the world we're visiting.
    If Matt Damon can do it, so can I.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If Matt Damon can do it, so can I.
    I liked their ship since there's a good chance that'll be what our first ship to Mars looks like.

But space is radiation filled dangerous place. We'll figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    It really was great. Best movie I've seen this year.
    Did you like the part where the director of NASA had to have the gravity slingshot explained to him? If we didn't have hipster millenials where would we be, oh my!

Another unbelievable part was when they went back for Matt Damon. Nobody would go back for Matt Damon.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 10-11-2015 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Did you like the part where the director of NASA had to have the gravity slingshot explained to him? If we didn't have hipster millenials where would we be, oh my!

Another unbelievable part was when they went back for Matt Damon. Nobody would go back for Matt Damon.
    I have a few female friends that would do ANYTHING for Matt Damon.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I am shocked, just shocked! that a movie about space exploration was not completely believable.

What will Chris Carpenter say to his son?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I have a few female friends that would do ANYTHING for Matt Damon.

18. Likes:

Chip R (10-12-2015),dougdirt (10-11-2015)

Kind of a bummer.

Yeah, but when President Trump ascends to power, he'll simply re-negotiate that agreement, just like NAFTA. You know, every agreement has an end, and stuff.

Can't wait to see the first Trump Martian Tower.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

20. Likes:

wheels (10-14-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I mean, a simple bacteria or virus that Earthlings have never seen would be lethal.
    How do we know that? Maybe a simple bacteria we've never seen would give us superhuman strength or cure cancer instead.

Turn Off Ads?