Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ad-free Youtube.... are you willing to pay for it?

Re: Ad-free Youtube.... are you willing to pay for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    I'm glad that I'm not entirely dependent on what the local cable provider is offering anymore. The more options, the better.
    I have Netflix, Hulu, and HBO-streaming. I can survive without ad-free YouTube.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I have Netflix, Hulu, and HBO-streaming. I can survive without ad-free YouTube.
    I don't really care about the ad-free aspect as much as the possibility of getting a more reliable connection. I already basically have ad-free Youtube because the Kodi Youtube plugin blocks ads.

I don't mind most ads. Only the longer ones irritate me. My daughter watches the most You Tube anyway - one more "how I made this wicked nail polish glitter or How to grow long beautiful hair (I thought that basically you just let it grow) and I'm gonna become a Tibetan monk in an Himalayan cave with no electronic anything. Well, except a MLB subscription...
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

I don't need/use YouTube often-mainly if someone sends me a clip to check out. I either hit skip-ad if offered or just do something else until the actual video comes on if no skip option.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Man, I remember when YouTube first came out. Weird to see it come to this, just feels wrong.

No, I won't pay for it.
    That's the problem facing the internet. No one wants to pay for anything on it. But by God if you have ads to try and make money, they lose their freaking minds about that too. Strange world we live in these days.

I don't have a problem with ads, i just won't pay $9.99 for YouTube. I basically just use it to watch music videos and movie trailers.

I don't have a problem with ads, i just won't pay $9.99 for YouTube. I basically just use it to watch music videos and movie trailers.
    I understand that, but that's not really what you said. What you said seems to read "It was free forever and charging for it now just feels wrong". Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's how it reads.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I understand that, but that's not really what you said. What you said seems to read "It was free forever and charging for it now just feels wrong". Maybe that's not what you meant, but that's how it reads.
    Ah, my mistake, then. That came off wrong. I understand things change and people have to make money.

I just meant I remember when it first came out and how it was great because it was a free source of user-created video content. YouTube becoming a big money corporation over the years is a bit strange for me, as I was there when it first started and that wasn't what it was about. Wrong was not the right word for me to use, "weird" fits better.

That's the problem facing the internet. No one wants to pay for anything on it. But by God if you have ads to try and make money, they lose their freaking minds about that too. Strange world we live in these days.
    I wouldn't say no one wants to pay for anything, but I get what you're saying. Most people seem to be more "frugal" when it comes to spending money on things on the internet, which they think should be free, but they pay $50+/month for that cable subscription without thinking.

I actually donate money to the Youtube channels I view most often. Part of that is due to the fact that they're not getting ad revenue from me, and part of it is because I want them to keep making content. Content producers can only make so little money before they have either take a part time job or quit their channel altogether. The overwhelming majority of Youtube content creators are not making PewDiePie money.

A few of the channels I donate money to:

https://www.youtube.com/user/AsapSCIENCE
    https://www.youtube.com/user/scishow
    https://www.youtube.com/user/crashcourse (SciShow and CrashCourse are actually made the same content creation group)

No one is making pewdiepie money, at least on an individual basis. I'd love to see what VEVO is bringing in though, given that they have all of the music videos (granted I'm sure they are paying the artists/labels a good chunk of that money).

But yeah, it's tough to make money on the internet unless you are selling something or have an enormous following.

I've seen a majority of the people I follow on youtube turn to Patreon for income. They still run ads, and all have sponsors WITHIN their videos as well. That's the way to go about it if you have a large enough following. Of course, most of what they are advertising is tools (most of them are Makers of some kind), so I'm imagining they are making a decent chunk per video off of that, but I don't know that for sure. It just makes sense when I think about the kind of stuff they are selling and how much those things cost versus the reach of some of these guys.

A good example was when Inventables came out with the Shapoko 2 (it's a DIY CNC Machine that they provide the parts and instructions on how to build, but you put it together). They sent out hundreds of these things to people for free to review them on youtube. They are retailing for $800-$1400 depending on which kit you got. Obviously that's not what Inventables had in them, but it couldn't have been cheap. But how many did they have to sell to make that back up for the 30,000,000 views that those combined videos got? 100? 500? It sure got me in the market for one (of course they have a newer version out now, that I will be buying if I ever get my check from MLB for unauthorized use of photos).

I'm rambling now.

It's difficult to make money off of random content, but web developers are making a killing.

I wouldn't pay 1 cent per month for ad free Youtube.

Generally speaking I'm OK with an ad if it's 10 seconds or less. Exceptions being social media posts forcing ads (since you're already using social media to promote yourself), literally any website that autoplays videos on load, and anything that wants me to answer questions to read their article.

I get that sites need ads to make money so I'm cool with it. And people doing DIY or review vids on Youtube need the following to make money on ads, so I'm cool with that.

Mobile site ad bombardment has gotta chill out tho.

A good example was when Inventables came out with the Shapoko 2 (it's a DIY CNC Machine ).
    Doug, I made a DIY CNC machine (I did a Joe's CNC). If you ever want any help on the topic let me know.
    Gives us a chance to talk about something other than Jay Bruce
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Doug, I made a DIY CNC machine (I did a Joe's CNC). If you ever want any help on the topic let me know.
    Gives us a chance to talk about something other than Jay Bruce
    I'm intrigued.

I've been eyeing the XCarve. I'm torn on if I should just save up for an extra month or two and get the 1000MM option instead of the 500MM option. Going from a 12x12 cutting area to 31x31 is significant and would provide a lot more flexibility. The question I keep coming back to though is: How many things would the 31x31 option be used for that couldn't be solved with a simple glue-up of 2-3 pieces from the 12x12?

What size are you using? Advice?

As a teacher who regularly uses streaming content I might like this. Nothing is worse than getting a video approved by administration--a step I have to go through even for 30 second clips--and having a beer ad pop up.

Turn Off Ads?