Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubs thread.

Re: Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubs thread.

Wilco's eligible now, you know. Tweedy's said some bad, bad things about the Hall, however.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    This the second reference made to Ybor City made on this board in the last week
    I blame The Hold Steady... another band nobody knows

4. Likes:

NebraskaRed (03-04-2021),Wonderful Monds (03-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I’d say Joy Division/New Order are as glaring of an omission as any other. There arguably would not have been alternative or indie rock without them, given how of those genres had their roots in what Joy Division did. New Wave too.
    It’s kinda cliche but Love Will Tear Us Apart is one of my favorite songs. Just perfect.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

6. Likes:

Betterread (03-04-2021),Wonderful Monds (03-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Can't wait for Creed to get in
    The RRHOF with arms wide open

8. Likes:

M2 (03-04-2021),NebraskaRed (03-04-2021),RichRed (03-04-2021),Wonderful Monds (03-03-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

10. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (03-04-2021)

The RRHOF is not even consistent in their hierarchy within genres. Journey and Kiss are in but Boston and Blue Oyster Cult are not? Don’t fear the reaper and long time and more than a feeling are AOR mainstays with way more airplay than anything Kiss ever wrote. Don’t stop believin’ got as much airplay as Boston and BOC but their big hits are far better music. Journey should be excluded for a lyrics like this one from another big hit everyone will recognize - “Lovin’, touch in’ squeezing’ .....each other”
    And Kiss were considered a teeeny bopper band when I was a kid. Cheap Trick was considered “serious music” for Middle schoolers at the time. That’s when I broadened my horizons to punk, and new wave.

12. Likes:

M2 (03-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    No Black Flag or DK in there. Apparently American hardcore never happened.
    The ghost of hearing in my right ear says hello to Black Flag.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

14. Likes:

cincinnati chili (05-10-2021),M2 (03-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I blame The Hold Steady... another band nobody knows
    Really enjoying their new album.

16. Likes:

westofyou (03-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No, they were crap because they sang stupid songs about stupid stuff and they looked stupid.

Sure people liked them, people like Haggis too.
    I'm not a huge KISS fan, but I can recognize KISS was kind of great. They perfected arena rock. Even decades after the genre was dead, they were selling out shows. No one ever would have guessed it 45 years ago, but they turned out to have massive staying power. Maybe the KISS Army (I was a member) was the most brilliant idea ever.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

goreds2 (03-04-2021)

KISS absolutely should be in the RRHOF. They’ve sold a ridiculous amount of tickets and records.

20. Likes:

M2 (03-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The RRHOF with arms wide open
    Dammit, beat me to it. Now all I got is something something My Sacrifice.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

22. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (03-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    The RRHOF is not even consistent in their hierarchy within genres. Journey and Kiss are in but Boston and Blue Oyster Cult are not? Don’t fear the reaper and long time and more than a feeling are AOR mainstays with way more airplay than anything Kiss ever wrote. Don’t stop believin’ got as much airplay as Boston and BOC but their big hits are far better music. Journey should be excluded for a lyrics like this one from another big hit everyone will recognize - “Lovin’, touch in’ squeezing’ .....each other”
    And Kiss were considered a teeeny bopper band when I was a kid. Cheap Trick was considered “serious music” for Middle schoolers at the time. That’s when I broadened my horizons to punk, and new wave.
    Depeche Mode getting in before Echo, Joy Division, the Smiths, the Jam, XTC and a laundry list of others bugged me. The institution itself has a glaring post-invasion British blind spot, so I try to be happy when any of them get in. Yet I think any serious look into that era of British music would identify the Cure as a great start and Depeche Mode as an odd second choice.

Boston and BOC are interesting omissions. Tom Scholz supposedly made a lot of important technical leaps on the production side, on top of Boston selling a bazillion albums. And "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is at the very least vibing on "More Than a Feeling". It's another band that I'm not super into, but I don't have an argument against them. I've got a soft spot for BOC. And Allen Lanier dated Patti Smith and cowrote some of her songs, that's got to count for something. Yet it's hard to sort out the AOR field because there's so many bands in there. There's all sorts of balancing between popular and visionary to be done as well. It's probably cleaner to shun them all, though the HOF would need to drop the "Rock & Roll" from its title if it did that. It's kind of an unavoidable thicket.

24. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (03-05-2021)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    What you find obscure was what my friends and I have been listening to for 40 plus years. I don't think its as easy to make the call as you do denigrating bands people thinks should be in. I will, however, denigrate Journey until my dying day.
    I love Squeeze.

I also know my love for them doesn't make them Hall worthy.

Maybe Im too self aware...

26. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    KISS absolutely should be in the RRHOF. They’ve sold a ridiculous amount of tickets and records.
    The tickets is the big one for me. They headlined for 40 years. That's insane. Also, thanks to video games, my kids know "I Was Made for Lovin' You" and "Rock & Roll All Nite" better than most classic rock. They wouldn't know a Journey song if it bit them.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm not a huge KISS fan, but I can recognize KISS was kind of great. They perfected arena rock. Even decades after the genre was dead, they were selling out shows. No one ever would have guessed it 45 years ago, but they turned out to have massive staying power. Maybe the KISS Army (I was a member) was the most brilliant idea ever.
    Sure.. I get it.

But using KISS as some barometer against bands like Phish (another huge touring act after 30 years) is disingenuous, especially when you are just talking about the man on the street analogy.. well I propose that it depends on what street you're on.

I'm sure I could find people who love both KISS and Phish and people who hate both equally.

Turn Off Ads?