Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubs thread.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubs thread.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Agreed, utterly in a bubble, albeit a big bubble if you know jam band types.. I can't name a Guster song, nor a Taylor Swift song myself. I can name maybe four KISS songs, that's where they were in my world in the late 70's. I do however know a lot of Little Feat songs, a band I'm sure nobody knows or cares about.
    I wouldn't go that far. Though I've never really thought of them in the RRHOF vein, they were a tremendously underrated, yet commercially successful band that somehow soldiered on following the untimely death of Lowell George.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Likes:

919191 (03-06-2021),M2 (03-05-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Japan loves the Jam. Paul Weller. They’re stand alone shops of Beatles. Led Zeppelin memorabilia and vinyl during the 90s was excellent too.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. Though I've never really thought of them in the RRHOF vein, they were a tremendously underrated, yet commercially successful band that somehow soldiered on following the untimely death of Lowell George.
    That was tongue in cheek, but I'll say that when Lowell died that band became less interesting than the Radiators which is hard to do IMO. I was lucky enough to see them when I was 15 at NKU, that along with Commander Cody on my 18th birthday at Bogarts changed my perception of live music

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Japan loves the Jam. Paul Weller. They’re stand alone shops of Beatles. Led Zeppelin memorabilia and vinyl during the 90s was excellent too.
    Speaking of Japan, if the R&RHOF intends to keep spreading its international wings (e.g. Fela Kuti), then I want Shonen Knife in there, stat.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I thought the Jam was in. They are or were respected even among the holding their noses at punk/new wave writers and musicians. They were more in line with Who obviously who had more of a punk vibe in the 60s then some of the punk bands that came in 76-78. Motown meets The Who and Small Faces.

The Smiths should be in on Matt’s work alone. Morrisey and his world political views will negate that however for the voters.
    Neither Lemon Jelly nor the Jam are in. Marmalade either. Jelly Roll Morton doesn't count.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 03-05-2021 at 05:49 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Speaking of Japan, if the R&RHOF intends to keep spreading its international wings (e.g. Fela Kuti), then I want Shonen Knife in there, stat.
    Yellow Magic Orchestra

There's a certain band that originated in New Zealand, then moved to Australia, changing the 'nds' at the end of their name to 'nz' in the process if you're considering international success. This particular band, who I might have mentioned earlier, was apparently a big influence on Pearl Jam and Radiohead (can't win 'em all).
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    No on each count. Fela Kuti, no no no. No Shonen Knife....

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

God forbid we disgrace the institution that enshrines Journey with the presence of Fela Kuti.

13. Likes:

cincinnati chili (05-10-2021)

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I'm a big Gordon Lightfoot fan. "Sundown" is one of the best songs of all time. It supposedly refers to Gord's tumultuous relationship with Cathy Smith, who's better known as the woman who injected John Belushi with the drugs that killed him.

“I can't think of any Gordon Lightfoot song I don't like. Every time I hear a song of his, it's like I wish it would last forever." -Bob Dylan
    I was a wee fellow when Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald came out and that song haunted me. I had bad dreams about being stuck on sinking ships for weeks. I love his music.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

15. Likes:

cincinnati chili (05-10-2021),RedTeamGo! (03-11-2021),Revering4Blue (03-11-2021),RichRed (03-12-2021)

I’ve been obsessed with three songs recently:

Roy Orbison - You Got It
    Sam Cooke - Bring it on Home to me
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps

Are Roy and Sam in the HOF?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

17. Likes:

M2 (03-13-2021)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

Roy Orbison - You Got It
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps

Yes on both counts.

And deservedly so.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

Roy Orbison - You Got It
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps

Roy - I Drove all night

Well worth obsessing over
    Last edited by westofyou; 03-12-2021 at 12:39 PM.

20. Likes:

RedsBaron (03-16-2021)

Wasn't You Got It during Roy's Wilbury days? That has a lot of Jeff Lynne production in it, IIRC.

22. Likes:

westofyou (03-12-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Wasn't You Got It during Roy's Wilbury days? That has a lot of Jeff Lynne production in it, IIRC.
    Lynne was producer and its was Orbison's solo album Mystery Girl. I think the Wiburies were what got the ball rolling for him, but it wasn't a Wilbury song.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?