Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Singers'(Celebrities) Deaths That Hit You the Hardest

Singers'(Celebrities) Deaths That Hit You the Hardest

Let me say, first off, that I started to post this topic a few weeks ago but got busy with other things and it escaped my mind. But with the death a few days ago of Olivia Newton-John, I wanted to go ahead and post. Folks, this one hit me hard, even though I knew for a couple of years that this was coming sooner than later. She bravely fought the disease for thirty years.

You see, Olivia was my very first crush. As a 11 year-old boy, I kept pictures and posters of her. With those big blue eyes and sweet smile and those innocent, girl next door good looks, , I was smitten. In the early seventies, she was all over the radio with songs like "Let Me Be There," "Please, Mister Please," "Have You Never Been Mellow," and my favorite from 1974, "If You Love Me Let Me Know." Although I wasn't crazy about "Physical," it was probably her biggest hit. And who can ever forget her portrayal as "Sandy" in Grease ?

This celebrity death was one of the toughest for me, if not the toughest pop singer death of all. The night after she passed, I stayed up all night playing a lot of old ONJ records and watching some old concert footage on YouTube. I think these musicians that we grow up listening to as kids become important to us because they take us back to a meaningful time in our lives, In many cases, their music helped us to get through some very difficult times in our lives. Their songs, in many instances, helped form the soundtrack of our early years.

In this thread I would be interested to know which singers' death hit you the hardest. I am gonna post mostly pop/rock singers but it can be any genre of music. I'm mostly interested in hearing about singers but if a musician's death didn't affect you , free to list an actor, sports figure, or other non-musician celebrity that greatly impacted you.

For me, it seems like when a favorite musician dies it hits me a bit harder than when, say, an actor or even a sports figure passes. I mean, I liked Joe Morgan a lot and he was a big part of my life growing up , but his death didn't hit me nearly as hard as that of ONJ. I think it's because music touches us in such a personal way. Through the words and songs we've listened to for decades, it's almost like we knew these people. My mother, whose is 18 years older than me, I'm sure would say Elvis' death is the one that most affected her. When I was a very young kid, I remember Elvis' records being played at home all the time. Both my parents were big fans. Mom had tickets to see him at Rupp Arena, where he was scheduled to perform in August of '77. He passed away just days before the show was to take place. She still has those tickets.

I'd love to hear your feedback on this topic.

In closing, let me say that there was another death that was kinda overshadowed by the news of Olivia's death . Judith Durham died only three days before. While I was too young in the sixties to fully appreciate Judith, I came to love her musical talent when I got older. In my opinion, with the possible exception of Karen Carpenter, Judith Durham of the Seekers had the purist singing voice I've ever heard. Many of you older folks will remember Judith singing "Georgie Girl. " Tremendous, tremendous talent.
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 08-13-2022 at 02:04 PM.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Singers'(Celebrities) Deaths That Hit You the Hardest

Belushi for me, after that nothing surprised me

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (08-13-2022)

George Harrison and Olivia Newton-John hit me the hardest.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

I don't know that I can single out an entertainer's death that really hit me hard. I don't really have a "Day the Music Died" moment ( I was only three years old when the plane crash occurred that took Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. Richardson, Jr.). Since then there have been so many entertainers of all genres who have perished in plane crashes, to say nothing of being homicide victims, overdosing on drugs and alcohol, and just dying of old age.
    I grew up in my teens listening to a lot of music recorded by Mac Davis, Glen Campbell and Olivia Newton-John, so their passings hit me a little more.
    One regret I have is that I didn't start attending conventions, comic cons and nostalgia events until about a decade ago. For the most part, meeting a current entertainer or actor isn't that big a deal to me. However I grew up watching TV westerns in the 1960s, and the actors who played my heroes when I was a kid still retain a bit of a heroic quality to me. Sadly, while I could have met a good number of them a couple of decades ago, now they are largely gone. I have met actor Robert Fuller, who is now age 89, and it was a hoot meeting the guy I idolized when I was six years old and he was starring in "Laramie" and "Wagon Train."
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

7. Likes:

Roy Tucker (08-14-2022),Sea Ray (08-15-2022)

When Howard Cosell announced on Monday Night Football that John Lennon had died.

Up till then, I thought I was immortal and everyone was going to live forever. But when a Beatle died, I started to realize I wasn’t. I was 28 then.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

9. Likes:

Chip R (08-17-2022),cumberlandreds (08-14-2022),SunDeck (09-04-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    When Howard Cosell announced on Monday Night Football that John Lennon had died.

Up till then, I thought I was immortal and everyone was going to live forever. But when a Beatle died, I started to realize I wasn’t. I was 28 then.
    Yeah, very few deaths compare. It shook me to my foundations. I was 14 and the Beatles were still the only un****withable band in my mind. Still are in many ways.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

11. Likes:

SunDeck (09-04-2022)

In more recent years, Prince and Tom Petty were tough to take.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

13. Likes:

SunDeck (09-04-2022)

John Prine. I was aware he had covid. I opened up a FB group of another related musician and saw a post that had 1 word. An expletive starting with F. His illness had been followed in the group. His wife had left a post saying he was improving. Then I saw that and I just new. I started googling his name. Nothing. Kept googling it. Finally something appeared confirming his death. It really hit me hard.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Tom Petty - Always wanted to see him live. Just a unique sound to him where I can listen to anytime.

Taylor Hawkins - Integral member of my favorite band. My buddy texted me and I floored.

Kinda surprised that there hasn't been a mention of Eddie Van Halen.

I listened to a lot of Dan Fogelberg in my junior and senior years of high school and into my early college years. When he passed away in his fifties, it really made me sad. In my opinion he was a tremendous singer/songwriter. Some of the stuff he wrote when he was in his late teens/early twenties is mind blowing.

Also, I listened to a lot of Warren Zevon in my early college years. I enjoyed seeing him on David Letterman(he even filled for Paul Schaffer for a couple of weeks once). I never forget his statement "Enjoy every sandwich." Such a unique lyricist. "Lawyers, Guns, & Money" is an epic tune.
    Last edited by Ky Fried Redleg; 08-15-2022 at 02:36 PM.
    “It’s the mathematical potential for a single game to last forever, in a suspended world where no clock rules the day, that aligns baseball as much with the dead as the living.”
    ---- Bill Vaughn

"Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved." ---Tim Minchin("Storm")

The death of Karen Carpenter made me very sad. In my mind , she had the best singing voice ever.

A had pretty big crushes on two ladies from the seventies/eighties era . Nicolette Larson and Laura Branigan. Nicolette died of liver failure brought on by overuse of Valium and Tylenol. Laura died of a brain aneurysm . Loved their music. Sadly, both were just in their forties.

Some others that hit me:

Paul Davis ( "I Go Crazy," "65 Love Affair")
    Gerry Rafferty ("Baker Street," "Right Down the Line")
    The Gibb brothers- Andy, Maurice, and Robin
    ---- Bill Vaughn

Tony Lewis of the Outfield died suddenly and unexpectedly a year or so ago. I really hated that because I was a big fan of the Outfield. Great '80's band.

Name:  tonyL.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  5.0 KB
    ---- Bill Vaughn

19. Likes:

Dom Heffner (08-16-2022),goreds2 (08-18-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Fried Redleg View Post
    The death of Karen Carpenter made me very sad. In my mind , she had the best singing voice ever.

A had pretty big crushes on two ladies from the seventies/eighties era . Nicolette Larson and Laura Branigan. Nicolette died of liver failure brought on by overuse of Valium and Tylenol. Laura died of a brain aneurysm . Loved their music. Sadly, both were just in their forties.

Some others that hit me:

Paul Davis ( "I Go Crazy," "65 Love Affair")
    Gerry Rafferty ("Baker Street," "Right Down the Line")
    The Gibb brothers- Andy, Maurice, and Robin
    Since we’re among friends, I’ll confess that I love “‘65 Love Affair”.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Since we’re among friends, I’ll confess that I love “‘65 Love Affair”.

I'll make the same confession, and it's not even a midnight confession.

Speaking of Midnight Confessions, what about Rob Grill ? I saw him and the Grass Roots about a dozen years ago in my town's festival. What a great performer and what a band they were in their heyday!!!

Also, Eddie Money came to perform in my town's festival a few years ago. He got through about five or six songs and it came a severe thunderstorm with extrememly heavy rains, wind, and lightening. There is no way he could possibly continue , as it was an outdoor event. He apologized and said he would come back to town and do a free show for everyone sometime. Sadly, he never got the chance. He got sick and then passed away a few years later.
    ---- Bill Vaughn

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Singers'(Celebrities) Deaths That Hit You the Hardest

The following haven’t been mentioned yet, but each death hit me like a ton of bricks:

Robin Williams - No need to really elaborate. But he was truly one of a kind. I’m certain this hit ALL of us hard.

Farah Fawcett - Just as with Olivia Newton-John, the youth memories factor came into play. Both gone too soon.

John Ritter - This was really devastating to me because it was sudden. At least with Farrah, we knew the end was coming soon.

Freddie Prinz - I’m sure I’m not the only one here that remembers his sudden suicide at the height of his career. I was in 3rd grade at the time. Chico And The Man (in which he starred) Sanford and Son and Rockford Files comprised a must watch NBC Friday Night lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

23. Likes:

marcshoe (08-15-2022),RichRed (08-15-2022),westofyou (08-15-2022)

Turn Off Ads?