Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubs thread.

Re: Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubs thread.

Speaking of LP collections. I was going through ours and totally forgot I had Gordon Lightfoot. Wreck of the Edmund Firzgerald is great.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

goreds2 (03-04-2021),Revering4Blue (03-05-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Maybe. Pete Townshend, Michael Jackson, Chuck Berry, Marvin Gaye are as famous as ever. Kozlelek might be more affected because of the very personal, confessional lyrics he has been writing the last ten years. Now instead of being confessional, they seem creepy.
    Ehhhh, I don’t think Townsend and Jackson are as famous as ever, especially Jackson. I know multiple people who refuse to listen to Michael ever again.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It’s kinda cliche but Love Will Tear Us Apart is one of my favorite songs. Just perfect.
    It is ineffable. A means to an end is pretty close.

7. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (03-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    One band on this year's ballot we've given no mention is Foo Fighters. They've got the whole modern "monsters of rock" cred, but they don't make the cut for me. Rage is on the ballot too and, despite the Foos selling way more records, I don't think there's argument as to which one is the more groundbreaking and seminal band. Like, this is one where the snobs need to step in and rocksplain to the masses. That's not even getting into Beck and Weezer being more deserving contemporaries. I've got nothing against the Foos, but they seem to be an object lesson in the difference between big and great.
    A few years ago I would have argued with you, but now that the Foo have settled into the role of boring flannel wearing old guy rock, I would leave them out, they are like a guy on his way to 500 homers who suddenly decides to start bunting all the time.

I'd put Garbage in first.
    Go Gators!

Any guitar oriented club that does not recognize Sonic Youth and Yo la Tengo is just pretending to be elitist. Those two bands are benchmark pop and experimental music performers and makes me proud of the NYNJ pop culture scene that values them.

10. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (03-05-2021)

Just noticed that Judas Priest was nominated but did not get in. They rocked way harder than their British metal contemporary Def Leppard. And Glenn Tipton and KK Downing were one of the best guitar duos.

12. Likes:

goreds2 (03-05-2021),M2 (03-05-2021),marcshoe (03-05-2021),mth123 (03-12-2021),NebraskaRed (03-05-2021),Revering4Blue (03-05-2021),Tony Cloninger (03-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Just noticed that Judas Priest was nominated but did not get in. They rocked way harder than their British metal contemporary Def Leppard. And Glenn Tipton and KK Downing were one of the best guitar duos.
    Priest set the archetype for heavy metal, but Rolling Stone has been missing that boat ever since it first launched. I'm not sure how much more distinctive, influential and fantastic a band should have to be to get inducted.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

goreds2 (03-05-2021),NebraskaRed (03-05-2021),Revering4Blue (03-05-2021),Tony Cloninger (03-05-2021)

Speaking of LP collections. I was going through ours and totally forgot I had Gordon Lightfoot. Wreck of the Edmund Firzgerald is great.
    I'm a big Gordon Lightfoot fan. "Sundown" is one of the best songs of all time. It supposedly refers to Gord's tumultuous relationship with Cathy Smith, who's better known as the woman who injected John Belushi with the drugs that killed him.

“I can't think of any Gordon Lightfoot song I don't like. Every time I hear a song of his, it's like I wish it would last forever." -Bob Dylan
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

16. Likes:

goreds2 (03-05-2021),RedTeamGo! (03-05-2021),Revering4Blue (03-05-2021),westofyou (03-05-2021)

Depeche Mode getting in before Echo, Joy Division, the Smiths, the Jam, XTC and a laundry list of others bugged me. The institution itself has a glaring post-invasion British blind spot, so I try to be happy when any of them get in. Yet I think any serious look into that era of British music would identify the Cure as a great start and Depeche Mode as an odd second choice.

Boston and BOC are interesting omissions. Tom Scholz supposedly made a lot of important technical leaps on the production side, on top of Boston selling a bazillion albums. And "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is at the very least vibing on "More Than a Feeling". It's another band that I'm not super into, but I don't have an argument against them. I've got a soft spot for BOC. And Allen Lanier dated Patti Smith and cowrote some of her songs, that's got to count for something. Yet it's hard to sort out the AOR field because there's so many bands in there. There's all sorts of balancing between popular and visionary to be done as well. It's probably cleaner to shun them all, though the HOF would need to drop the "Rock & Roll" from its title if it did that. It's kind of an unavoidable thicket.
    I thought the Jam was in. They are or were respected even among the holding their noses at punk/new wave writers and musicians. They were more in line with Who obviously who had more of a punk vibe in the 60s then some of the punk bands that came in 76-78. Motown meets The Who and Small Faces.

The Smiths should be in on Matt’s work alone. Morrisey and his world political views will negate that however for the voters.

18. Likes:

Betterread (03-05-2021),marcshoe (03-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    I thought the Jam was in. They are or were respected even among the holding their noses at punk/new wave writers and musicians. They were more in line with Who obviously who had more of a punk vibe in the 60s then some of the punk bands that came in 76-78. Motown meets The Who and Small Faces.

The Smiths should be in on Matt’s work alone. Morrisey and his world political views will negate that however for the voters.
    I think it’s cool that you and M2 both mentioned the smiths and the jam in the same posts because both Weller and Johnny Marr were well known for using Rickenbacker guitars (330 model I believe).
    I later learned that Marr said actually a lot of that chiming guitar tone that he is known for came from using a Fender Stratocaster, not a Rickenbacker. And Weller said he used the 330 initially, but moved on to other gear in order to get the sounds he wanted.
    Last edited by Betterread; 03-05-2021 at 12:11 PM.

20. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (03-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post

The Jam isn't in, and I can't explain why. I suppose it's because they never hit it big in the States (except with an avalanche of bands that cite them as a chief influence). You won't run into many music buffs who will tell you anything but the Jam was great. It's widely regarded a universal truth. I've seen (and participated in) numerous Echo vs. Smiths fights. There's a number of pantheon-level bands I can take or leave. Yet if you're rattling off a list of bands that were/are great and you mention the Jam, the response tends to be "well obviously the Jam."

22. Likes:

Betterread (03-05-2021),Tony Cloninger (03-05-2021)

The Jam isn't in, and I can't explain why. I suppose it's because they never hit it big in the States (except with an avalanche of bands that cite them as a chief influence). You won't run into many music buffs who will tell you anything but the Jam was great. It's widely regarded a universal truth. I've seen (and participated in) numerous Echo vs. Smiths fights. There's a number of pantheon-level bands I can take or leave. Yet if you're rattling off a list of bands that were/are great and you mention the Jam, the response tends to be "well obviously the Jam."
    The Jam are a lot like The Kinks in that they sang about England and well that doesn't always sell in Ybor City either.

24. Likes:

M2 (03-05-2021)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

One band on this year's ballot we've given no mention is Foo Fighters. They've got the whole modern "monsters of rock" cred, but they don't make the cut for me. Rage is on the ballot too and, despite the Foos selling way more records, I don't think there's argument as to which one is the more groundbreaking and seminal band. Like, this is one where the snobs need to step in and rocksplain to the masses. That's not even getting into Beck and Weezer being more deserving contemporaries. I've got nothing against the Foos, but they seem to be an object lesson in the difference between big and great.
    In addition to their accolades that you mentioned, the fact that Rage helped spawn Audioslave has to also help their HOF cause, no?

Bias aside - as to which artists of the four are the most deserving of HOF induction, I suspect all four artists that you mentioned will be inducted eventually. Beck, for example, has experienced an immense resurgence in popularity due partly to the proliferation of AAA (Adult Album Alternative) radio - both terrestrial and satellite - within the past decade. Not that radio airplay factors as much into the equation anymore, traditional Alternative radio has always been kind to all four mentioned artists. But it seems as though Mainstream Rock Radio, save for a track or two every now and then, has kinda shied away from Beck.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

26. Likes:

M2 (03-05-2021)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

It’s kinda cliche but Love Will Tear Us Apart is one of my favorite songs. Just perfect.
    I actually heard that song recently in (of all places) the grocery store, and it quite literally made my day. Believe it or not - and others close to and or my age may remember this - that track was a Mainstream Rock radio mainstay throughout the '80s. Why it hasn't (to my knowledge) transitioned to most National Classic Rock radio playlists today, I'll never understand.

Such a GREAT song!
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The Jam are a lot like The Kinks in that they sang about England and well that doesn't always sell in Ybor City either.
    It only they'd have named the song "Ybor Rifles".

Turn Off Ads?