Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubs thread.

Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubs thread.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/08/entert...eat/index.html

That's what it amounts to every year, I guess. Still no ELO, which is just silly at this point. No Nillson either, in spite of an organized campaign. We do have The Cars Deep Purple, Yes, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Steve Miller, and LaToya Jackson's big sister.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubs thread.

Steve Miller is a no brainer. I love The Cars.

I am not really seeing Chicago. Some of their songs are fantastic, but they became awful during the 80s. Not really seeing Cheap Trick, seems like they really only have 3-4 good songs. I know exactly one song by Yes, it is a great one, but cannot say much else. I know little to nothing about Deep Purple as well. That is more of a me-problem, though. Janet Jackson sold a ton of records.

It is a travesty that ELO is not in yet. Same with Phish.

Joan Jett is in so just let everyone in. I'm surprised the Cars aren't already in.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (10-14-2015),Revering4Blue (10-09-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Steve Miller is a no brainer. I love The Cars.

I am not really seeing Chicago. Some of their songs are fantastic, but they became awful during the 80s. Not really seeing Cheap Trick, seems like they really only have 3-4 good songs. I know exactly one song by Yes, it is a great one, but cannot say much else. I know little to nothing about Deep Purple as well. That is more of a me-problem, though. Janet Jackson sold a ton of records.

It is a travesty that ELO is not in yet. Same with Phish.
    Cheap Trick should get in for their first 4 Albums

7. Likes:

marcshoe (10-08-2015),Revering4Blue (10-09-2015),Rojo (10-09-2015)

I would love to see REO Speedwagon get in. While they had their big payday in the early/mid '80s, they had a lot of great songs in the '70s that people seem to forget. Kevin Cronin (lead singer), while not an original member, is from the Chicagoland area. The band itself was founded in Champaign. Gary Richrath (former guitar player) passed away earlier this year.

Best Albums:
    Hi Infidelity
    R.E.O T.W.O
    You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish
    Wheels Are Turnin
    R.E.O
    And one of the best live albums ever - You Get What You Play For

Best Songs (in no particular order):
    Like You Do
    Music Man
    Golden Country
    Ridin' The Storm Out
    Son Of A Poor Man
    Roll With The Changes
    Time For Me To Fly
    Keep On Loving You
    Take It On The Run
    Can't Fight This Feeling - This will be the first song dance at my wedding.

9. Likes:

goreds2 (04-09-2016)

I'm probably biggest on The Cars and Cheap Trick, which shows my age. I like Steve Miller, but for whatever reason I'm so-so on his induction. I want to support Chicago for old times' sake (and the Terry Kath stuff), but I'm not sure much of the music holds up as well.

An aside connecting the nominated and the snubbed, Terry Kath's widow has been accompanying Jeff Lynne recently. She was also married to Kiefer Sutherland for a bit. I'm not sure how he fits in, but I thought I'd mention it.

Nobody, including me, has mentioned Chaka Khan, who I think is great.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Just saw this article from May about a Rolling Stone readers' poll on who should get in. Interesting that four of the top five were nominated this year.

btw, I like Deep Purple (absolutely loved the "Perfect Strangers" LP), and this article suggests that their problem was that they were too European, but I've always thought all the personnel changes hurt their chances.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

For once, I'm not going to spend a significant amount of time pointing out the glaring omissions of artists that are not on the ballot - ELO, the Cure, Chubby Checker and Joy Division, for example. For once, I'll simply state that, IMHO, judging solely from the list of nominees this year, the five most obvious choices, in no particular order:

The Spinners

Chaka Khan (Her time/work with Rufus comes into play)

The Smiths

The last two should go to the AOR crowd, and given that, most likely (throwing out personal preferences)

Deep Purple (If Black Sabbath is in, Deep Purple should be, as well)

Draw either Yes, Steve Miller or Chicago out of a hat.

Full disclosure: I'm as big of a fan of the Cars and Cheap Trick as anyone and believe that both will be inducted eventually, but Yes, Steve Miller and Chicago have been factors for a much longer period of time, so they get the nod.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 10-09-2015 at 01:09 AM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Just saw this article from May about a Rolling Stone readers' poll on who should get in. Interesting that four of the top five were nominated this year.

btw, I like Deep Purple (absolutely loved the "Perfect Strangers" LP), and this article suggests that their problem was that they were too European, but I've always thought all the personnel changes hurt their chances.
    Good to see some love for ELO, Warren Zevon and Iron Maiden.

Sidenote: The article mentions the lack of progressive rock bands inducted in the HOF - I'd argue that ELO falls under that category, to a certain extent - and, IMHO, given that, Jethro Tull is every bit as deserving as Yes.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

14. Likes:

marcshoe (10-09-2015)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Chicago is one of the most successful bands of all time, man tough crowd.

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-10-2015)

Too bad they stopped being a rock band 35 years ago

18. Likes:

Chip R (10-11-2015),redsmetz (04-22-2016)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Too bad they stopped being a rock band 35 years ago
    What were they supposed to do play their 70s style into the 1980s?

They should be in the hall based on their early work alone, the 80s stuff was icing on a very well made cake.

I enjoy all incarnations, even 17 was a well made pop record.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Good to see some love for ELO, Warren Zevon and Iron Maiden.

Sidenote: The article mentions the lack of progressive rock bands inducted in the HOF - I'd argue that ELO falls under that category, to a certain extent - and, IMHO, given that, Jethro Tull is every bit as deserving as Yes.
    Dewey Finn agrees.

21. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-11-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

They should be in the hall based on their early work alone, the 80s stuff was icing on a very well made cake.

They became less Rock more schmaltz but yes the first seven albums are worthy. My point is they don't rock like what I think rock is

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    They became less Rock more schmaltz but yes the first seven albums are worthy. My point is they don't rock like what I think rock is
    Actually, I agree with both of you.

Even though they had been a hit single machine, up to and including the album Hot Streets - the first album following the untimely death of Terry Kath - the band, believe it or not, was perceived as a rock band first, pop crossover band second. The band tried to continue the same formula without Kath, even hiring another lower-voiced co-lead singer for three albums, but sans Hot Streets, they were not commercially successful and, IIRC, Columbia Records (even after all of the band's success with the label) dropped them like a hot potato.

The situation with Chicago '79 - '82 was not unlike the situations of Heart and Aerosmith in the early to mid 80's: No hit Singles, moderate (read: only die-hard fans purchasing) concurrent album sales, and only lukewarm presence on AOR radio with concurrent tracks. See, once Pop radio stations began fleeing AM radio (circa '79) or so for FM, where they often were located next to and competed directly with AOR stations, it was almost essential for Rock bands to enjoy Pop crossover success in the pre-internet / download era - hit single(s) - in order to sell albums. Journey and REO Speedwagon were ahead of the curve by producing hit singles with a pop friendly sound without alienating their rock fanbases. Heck, Led Zeppelin's In Through The Out Door album was fueled by the hit single "Fool In The Rain."

Anyway, as we all know, Heart and Aerosmith followed the Journey and REO crossover blueprint to resounding successes. At the request of producer David Foster, Chicago, too, changed their style / sound for the Chicago 16 album, but didn't quite go the Heart / Aerosmith route. Instead, in addition to hit singles on Top 40 radio, they found a home on a prominent format today that was in it's infancy then....Lite FM. Once again, concurrent Chicago albums began to sell at the pace they had in their 70's heyday. That isn't to say that AOR radio ignored concurrent material, but for a few tracks here and there, the band was hit-or-miss on AOR radio, where they remained well into the post Peter Cetera years.

That stated, IMHO, they are a no-brainer for the RRHOF. How many bands could survive the death of one co-lead singer, the departure of another and remain commercially successful?

I must say that while I enjoyed the band's 70's sound more, it really did not detract from my enjoyment of all of the band's incarnations. Much like, for example, the Genesis "Invisible Touch" era, while comparisons to older albums with a different style are inevitable, I tend to accept the incarnations / styles for what they were. It was still good music to me.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 10-12-2015 at 01:19 AM.

24. Likes:

Chip R (10-12-2015),Dom Heffner (10-12-2015),KittyDuran (11-01-2015),marcshoe (10-12-2015)

Turn Off Ads?