Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubs thread.

Re: Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubs thread.

I love Simon and Garfunkel, but if I had to choose between one existing and the other being removed from existence I am absolutely keeping Hall & Oates and saying bye-bye to Simon and Garfunkel. However, Paul Simon’s solo stuff must remain.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

goreds2 (03-04-2021),Revering4Blue (03-04-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

The real problem with the rock and roll HOF is not who is in, but who is deciding who is in. IIRC, Jan Wenner has outsized weight in the matter. It's like if Ken Rosenthal got 25% of the baseball HOF vote instead of just one ballot.

5. Likes:

M2 (03-04-2021),NebraskaRed (03-04-2021),Revering4Blue (03-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Best art house cover of a KISS song.

So weird, I had never heard of Red House Painters until yesterday when their song "Summer Dress" popped up on an Apple Music playlist. Now here they are, back in my life for the second day in a row.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

7. Likes:

Betterread (03-04-2021),M2 (03-04-2021)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    We got on this discussion at work last year. The old folks in the room were talking about the Beatles and someone around 25 made a joke “meh, Taylor Swift is better.” This of course created an uproar. The 25 year old then said nobody his age listens to the Beatles. He went around the office and asked everyone around his age or younger to name a Beatles song. I think 1 out of 15 people named one. Seriously. And these aren’t teenagers, these are people in their early to mid 20s. Teenagers have probably heard the name “The Beatles,” but they mostly cannot name a song.
    This isn’t so hard to believe at all. After all, this 53 year old - yours truly - cannot name ONE Justin Bieber song.

Then again, I’m a clear outlier as I’ve never been a member of his target demographic - I’ve paid, at best, scant attention to pop music that doesn’t crossover to some form of rock radio genre for the past thirty years or so - and have no children.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

I love Simon and Garfunkel, but if I had to choose between one existing and the other being removed from existence I am absolutely keeping Hall & Oates and saying bye-bye to Simon and Garfunkel. However, Paul Simon’s solo stuff must remain.
    My wife loves Paul Simon solo but can't stand S&G. I like both but agree that Simon solo is better. Hell, I'd probably rank every song on "Graceland" alone above all but 3-4 S&G songs.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

We got on this discussion at work last year. The old folks in the room were talking about the Beatles and someone around 25 made a joke “meh, Taylor Swift is better.” This of course created an uproar. The 25 year old then said nobody his age listens to the Beatles. He went around the office and asked everyone around his age or younger to name a Beatles song. I think 1 out of 15 people named one. Seriously. And these aren’t teenagers, these are people in their early to mid 20s. Teenagers have probably heard the name “The Beatles,” but they mostly cannot name a song.
    Sounds about right. If you played a Beatles song for either of my kids, they'd probably wonder who it was. The movie "Yesterday" (2019) was built around the conceit that a lot of people don't know Beatles songs all that well.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

That makes me think of the list released by Rolling Stone last year of the top 500 albums of all time. One of the people that was allowed to vote on it was Billie Eilish. Which made me think how the heck could someone like her really appreciate albums that were put out 40, 50, 60+ years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    That makes me think of the list released by Rolling Stone last year of the top 500 albums of all time. One of the people that was allowed to vote on it was Billie Eilish. Which made me think how the heck could someone like her really appreciate albums that were put out 40, 50, 60+ years ago?
    I appreciate Mozart. And contrary to popular belief, I wasn’t alive when he composed.

I think a lot of it depends on what age you are in your life. The older you get, the harder it gets to keep up with current music.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I appreciate Mozart. And contrary to popular belief, I wasn’t alive when he composed.

I think a lot of it depends on what age you are in your life. The older you get, the harder it gets to keep up with current music.
    Plus, the older you get the more great music you realize you missed the first time around also shows up at your door

14. Likes:

M2 (03-04-2021),Revering4Blue (03-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

The music that people will prefer and appreciate the most will (almost) always be the musical acts that were popular when they were young (under 30).

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Plus, the older you get the more great music you realize you missed the first time around also shows up at your door
    I didn't get into Led Zeppelin when they were around. It wasn't until years later that I learned to appreciate them more.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 03-04-2021 at 02:44 PM.

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-04-2021),westofyou (03-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    So weird, I had never heard of Red House Painters until yesterday when their song "Summer Dress" popped up on an Apple Music playlist. Now here they are, back in my life for the second day in a row.
    Mark Kozelek (the singer and lead guitarist of Red house painters) is still a very productive recording artist both under his own name and with Sun Kil Moon. Red House Painters is more folky, and Sun Kil Moon more Neil young type guitar rock. In general, he an be compared to Neil young, with better guitar chops but less catchy hooks.

He was born in Massillon, which is not too far from Cleveland. He would fit well in a RRHOF with clear standards, but he will never get in to the current tourist trap HOF.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    My wife loves Paul Simon solo but can't stand S&G. I like both but agree that Simon solo is better. Hell, I'd probably rank every song on "Graceland" alone above all but 3-4 S&G songs.
    Of course she does, “because Simon writes the ——ing songs, he’s the better one”

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Mark Kozelek (the singer and lead guitarist of Red house painters) is still a very productive recording artist both under his own name and with Sun Kil Moon. Red House Painters is more folky, and Sun Kil Moon more Neil young type guitar rock. In general, he an be compared to Neil young, with better guitar chops but less catchy hooks.

He was born in Massillon, which is not too far from Cleveland. He would fit well in a RRHOF with clear standards, but he will never get in to the current tourist trap HOF.
    Well he was anyway, until he got outed as being a sexual predator at some point last year. He runs his own label so his music will still get released, but I don’t see his records being as successful or the types of venues he used to play booking him anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Well he was anyway, until he got outed as being a sexual predator at some point last year. He runs his own label so his music will still get released, but I don’t see his records being as successful or the types of venues he used to play booking him anymore.
    Maybe. Pete Townshend, Michael Jackson, Chuck Berry, Marvin Gaye are as famous as ever. Kozlelek might be more affected because of the very personal, confessional lyrics he has been writing the last ten years. Now instead of being confessional, they seem creepy.

I know my kids often raided their old man’s LP record collection. It was weird to hear my music coming out of their bedrooms.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

22. Likes:

goreds2 (03-04-2021)

Turn Off Ads?