Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubs thread.

Re: Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubs thread.

It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Likes:

KittyDuran (11-01-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

ELO is one of the best bands of all time. Or if you want to consider it Jeff Lynne & sidemen then Jeff Lynne one of the best singer/songwriters of all time.
    Considering some of the 2 or 3 hit wonders that are in the Hall of Fame then ELO is a no brainer.

if you have cable Palladium has been showing a recent ELO concert. Jeff's voice is still great.

5. Likes:

marcshoe (10-28-2015),Revering4Blue (10-28-2015)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    ELO is one of the best bands of all time. Or if you want to consider it Jeff Lynne & sidemen then Jeff Lynne one of the best singer/songwriters of all time.
    Considering some of the 2 or 3 hit wonders that are in the Hall of Fame then ELO is a no brainer.

if you have cable Palladium has been showing a recent ELO concert. Jeff's voice is still great.
    And that's not including Lynne's work as a producer, as Dave Edmunds, Tom Petty and - if they were still with us - George Harrison and Roy Orbison will attest.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

7. Likes:

marcshoe (10-29-2015),redsmetz (04-22-2016)

Not long ago my sister suggested that the reason Jeff Lynne's voice still holds up is that he hasn't toured constantly, like so many others. He said as much in an interview last week. btw, in the same interview he said he hadn't spoken to Bev Bevan in thirty years, which might make for an awkward induction ceremony if ELO gets in. When Lynne and Roy Wood got together in Birmingham a while back, Wood said a full-blown reunion of either the original ELO or The Move wasn't in the cards for him, then mentioned that he didn't like it that Bevan was touring with his own version of The Move, which is the same issue (with ELO) that Lynne cited. fwiw, I know a guy whose a drummer who met Bevan a few years back and says he's a great guy.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

9. Likes:

Revering4Blue (10-29-2015)

Can't believe anyone actually cares about this. "Were not coming. Your not paying attention" (sic)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I know exactly one song by Yes, it is a great one, but cannot say much else.
    Roundabout?

Yes should have been in years ago. Highly talented group of musicians. But the HOF has not been kind to progressive rock bands (other then Pink Floyd and Genesis). Here's one take on why they, as well as some other progressive rock bands (ELO?) aren't in... http://rockhall.com/blog/post/5442_a...y-no-yes-in-t/

Prog rock’s status in the Rock Hall is less about bias and corruption than it is a reflection of the changing history of the definition of rock and roll itself. From its inception, prog rock got a mixed reception. As Covach himself has shown in his book What’s That Sound? An Introduction to Rock and Its History, many critics originally saw the music as pretentious and some rock fans were turned off by prog’s lofty subject matter.

By drawing from classical elements, prog rock implied to some that rock itself wasn’t artistically interesting or important enough to contain its complex ideas. And for many critics prog strayed too far from rock’s African-American origins, reinforcing the stereotype that associated European music with the intellect and African music with the body.

For others critics and fans, prog just got out of hand. The elaborate art work, stage productions and concept albums became emblematic of rock’s 1970s excesses, and a perfect target for punk rock’s assault.
    But then the article goes on to say (concerning the above position)...

One could argue that these responses are, in fact, biases, but doing so shuts down an important discussion about artistic standards and objectivity. Standards for artistic merit cannot be objective, precisely because they are historically and culturally constructed.

The standard for artistic value in music, visual art, literature or any art form is fluid, shifting over time and fluctuating with cultural conditions and different audiences. At its birth, rock and roll itself was derided as primitive jungle music. Such a response was motivated by racism and the backlash of major record labels towards the economic threat of rising independent labels like Sun and Specialty.

If prog rockers considered Bo Diddley too simple, or punk rockers rejected ELP as pretentious, it’s not bias. It’s a debate over how to define the music and the parameters of that debate are always in flux. This is neither a problem nor a failure. While we need to be aware of how our own judgments about value are specific to our own time, interests and taste, we can never truly escape those things.
    Conclusion?..... the Rock n Roll HOF is still a joke IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

12. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (11-26-2015),marcshoe (11-03-2015),Revering4Blue (11-03-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Just saw this article from May about a Rolling Stone readers' poll on who should get in. Interesting that four of the top five were nominated this year.

btw, I like Deep Purple (absolutely loved the "Perfect Strangers" LP), and this article suggests that their problem was that they were too European, but I've always thought all the personnel changes hurt their chances.
    I bled Deep Purple in the 70s. Wore the grooves out of the album Machine Head (LOL). One of my favorite songs is Strange Kind of Woman. Got a live version that will knock your socks off!

Still one of my favorite rock bands. And yes, Perfect Strangers is an awesome album.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-03-2015 at 04:27 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

14. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (11-26-2015),Revering4Blue (11-03-2015)

Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubs thread.

I'll say it

Deep Purple is not a HOF band. In fact I'd say they are the Jay Bruce of rock, started out with huge promise, had the pedigree and hits some early HRs, but since then not much eh?

Problem is Bruce can experience a rebirth, one that DP never did

16. Likes:

cincinnati chili (12-21-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'll say it

Deep Purple is not a HOF band. In fact I'd say they are the Jay Bruce of rock, started out with huge promise, had the pedigree and hits some early HRs, but since then not much eh?

So you do't think Jay Bruce will be in the Hall?

Honestly, if the article I linked above is accurate (and I have no idea), then they may be an example of a band with greater international success than US success. I'm never sure how to gauge that as far as the Hall of Fame is concerned. I mean hey, I'd love to see Split Enz inducted, but I'm not sure success in Australia and New Zealand translates. It's a question.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 11-03-2015 at 11:33 AM.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'll say it

"See photos of the newest Rock and Roll Hall of Fame class -- Deep Purple, Steve Miller, Chicago, N.W.A. and Cheap Trick -- as they are inducted during a ceremony at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn on Friday, April 8, 2016. HBO will air an edited version of the ceremony April 30."

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment...016-1.11669094

ouch

19. Likes:

marcshoe (04-09-2016)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

So that's this year. Next year will be an interesting year for the Rock HoF. There are not a ton of new artists who you'd expect to be inducted, but there are three very interesting ones:
    Pearl Jam, who should be inducted right away and is right up the RRHOF's alley.
    Nine Inch Nails, who, though a bit more unconventional, still not out of the Rock Hall's range and if Trent doesn't make it in next year, he will soon enough.
    And then there's Radiohead.

By all means, a popular, critically acclaimed band who despite all their achievements, still linger just outside the mainstream. By all means, they should be a unanimous slam dunk first ballot entry. But I have no idea what will happen there.

Whatever they do in that scenario basically determines how much I care about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, lol.

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-21-2016)

No Ritchie Blackmore presence at the induction ceremonies.

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainme...e_tension.html

Blackmore declined to attend the ceremony due to tensions with his former band members over previous reunion attempts.
    Of course anyone who has followed Deep Purple, and knows their history, will tell you that Blackmore has always been a moody, brooding, egotistical A-hole (LOL)

[but I loved the man's guitar work]

Interesting interview with Ian Paice ....... http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dee...in-a-punch-up/

"Well, who would they induct? There have been so many members of this band, even if they say it will be core members, who would it be?

"You also have to bear in mind, that if some people are inducted together, it could end in a punch-up. I don't need to tell anyone certain key members and former members of this band do not get on.... "As for playing live, again who would be involved? You'd have the same situation as for an induction. This one won't play with that one — it could be a mess.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-09-2016 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    I would love to see REO Speedwagon get in. While they had their big payday in the early/mid '80s, they had a lot of great songs in the '70s that people seem to forget. Kevin Cronin (lead singer), while not an original member, is from the Chicagoland area. The band itself was founded in Champaign. Gary Richrath (former guitar player) passed away earlier this year.

Best Albums:
    Hi Infidelity
    R.E.O T.W.O
    You Can Tune A Piano, But You Can't Tuna Fish
    Wheels Are Turnin
    R.E.O
    And one of the best live albums ever - You Get What You Play For

Best Songs (in no particular order):
    Like You Do
    Music Man
    Golden Country
    Ridin' The Storm Out
    Son Of A Poor Man
    Roll With The Changes
    Time For Me To Fly
    Keep On Loving You
    Take It On The Run
    Can't Fight This Feeling - This will be the first song dance at my wedding.
    I am seeing REO tonight in concert. I last saw them in 1987. Yes, they should be in for sure. Bad Company should be in or least in the near future.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/09/ar...=top-news&_r=0

Steve Miller — of all people — brought some punk spirit to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony on Friday night at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

The singer, guitarist and space cowboy, known for smooth 1970s hits like “The Joker,” used his onstage acceptance speech to tactfully allude to the Rock Hall’s opaque nomination process and poor track record on inducting women.

Backstage, he unleashed more of his feelings.

Asked to expand on his criticisms of the organization, which was founded by industry heavyweights like Jann S. Wenner of Rolling Stone and has its museum in Cleveland, Mr. Miller said, “The whole process is unpleasant,” suggesting that it be “changed from the top to the bottom.”

“They need to respect the artists they say they’re honoring, which they don’t,” the singer continued, making references to issues like licensing agreements between the show and its honorees. (Friday’s ceremony will be broadcast by HBO on April 30.)

Mr. Miller, 72, then turned to the ceremony itself. “When they told me I was inducted they said, ‘You have two tickets — one for your wife and one for yourself. Want another one? It’s $10,000. Sorry, that’s the way it goes,’ ” he said, adding, “What about my band? What about their wives?”

When a publicist for the Rock Hall tried to interrupt him, Mr. Miller persisted. “No, we’re not going to wrap this up — I’m going to wrap you up,” he said. “You go sit down over there and learn something.”

25. Likes:

marcshoe (04-10-2016),redsfanmia (04-12-2016),redsmetz (04-22-2016),Revering4Blue (04-10-2016),Roy Tucker (04-11-2016),savafan (04-12-2016)

I'm fine with this HOF class. They've got so many acts still waiting to get it, it's ridiculous. I am curious to see who showed up from Deep Purple. I assume it's the Machine Head lineup, but David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes should be there. Metal is severely unrepresented in the HOF. The lack of Judas Priest, Motorhead and Iron Maiden is criminal.

Cheap Trick is about damn time. They, the Cars and Blondie basically invented American new wave. Now we just need to get the Cars in there. I'm pro-N.W.A., though that means I'm also pro-Wu Tang. Steve Miller's been in heavy AOR rotation for 40+ years. Past time he got in.

I'm kind of glad NiN didn't make it. There's a lot of better acts from their era that deserve recognition first (Replacements, Pixies, Pavement, Jane's Addiction, Fugazi, Faith No More, Sonic Youth, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden - I'd even say the Cult). I maintain NiN was a Columbia House phenomenon. They were a "what the hell" pick when you filled out your initial order. It's a bummer to see Chicago make it while E.L.O., Thin Lizzy, T.Rex and Roxy Music twist in the wind. And if you want an eclectic quasi-big band whose career you don't have to apologize for, there's always Oingo Boingo. I'm down with no to Yes.

The HOF still doesn't know how to handle Brit acts. The Smiths got left out this year, meaning they're still in the gigantic not-inducted pile with the Cure, Joy Division, XTC, New Order, Echo & the Bunnymen, the Stone Roses, Nick Cave, the Damned, the Jam, the Specials, Duran Duran and the Jesus and Mary Chain (which still sounds 10 years ahead of everyone else). Seminal punk acts like the Dead Kennedys and Black Flag somehow aren't in while Nirvana and Green Day, which cut their teeth on those bands, went first ballot.

Though I still think the two biggest omissions are Dick Dale (who changed the way music sounds) and the B-52's (there's nothing else remotely like them). You'd also think Warren Zevon would be there since he's a de rigueur reference point for Rolling Stone music critics.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

27. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (04-21-2016),Chip R (04-12-2016),Revering4Blue (04-12-2016)

Turn Off Ads?