Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubs thread.

Re: Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubs thread.

Bump. Hall of Fame inductees - Class of 2017.

The late rapper Tupac Shakur and Seattle-based rockers Pearl Jam lead a class of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees that also include folkie Joan Baez and 1970s favorites Journey, Yes and Electric Light Orchestra.
    The rock hall also said Tuesday it would give a special award to Nile Rodgers, whose disco-era band Chic failed again to make the cut after its 11th time nominated.
    Here is the list of nominees. Obviously, I am clueless. There are several nominees that would have made it if I were the King of Rock and Roll. And several that were selected, would still be on the outside looking in.

https://www.rockhall.com/2017-nominees

2. Turn Off Ads?

Tupac?!? Was he a rocker?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Tupac?!? Was he a rocker?
    Eh, the Rock and Roll HOF has become more of a music HOF. The impact that Tupac had on rap and music in general over the past 25 years is phenomenal. People still idolize him today (and many think he is still alive!)

It just seems a bit to me like putting Michael Jordan in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

No problem with Tupac. I'm happy that Janet Jackson wasn't there, and I assume that Nile Rogers' award means that the Hall is giving up on Chic. Would have liked to have seen the Cars and Chaka Khan--maybe next year.

But most of all, ELO is finally in.

Now let's see if we can get Jeff Lynne, Bev Bevan, and (hopefully) Roy Wood all in the same room. I don't think Tandy will be a problem. It would be nice to get some of the strings there as well.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-20-2016),Sea Ray (12-20-2016),_Sir_Charles_ (01-03-2017)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I wonder if there were a rap hall of fame, if theyd let Dolly Parton in it.

No Replacements, not really a HOF of "Rock"

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (12-21-2016),texasdave (12-20-2016)

Tupac is more rock and roll than Yes. And I have no problem with both of them being in.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post

But most of all, ELO is finally in.

Now let's see if we can get Jeff Lynne, Bev Bevan, and (hopefully) Roy Wood all in the same room. I don't think Tandy will be a problem. It would be nice to get some of the strings there as well.
    Tandy is touring with Lynne's ELO, and they've either put aside their differences or they're putting on a very nice public face. I hear Lynne and Bevan haven't talked for 30 years, except through their lawyers, and Kelly Groucutt is deceased. Sentimentally, it would be nice to see them get on stage, but the Hyde Park concert video with the new lineup is the best live sound I've ever heard from them.

I'm glad Yes got in, but they don't sound good anymore even in their various spin-offs. Getting them all onstage would probably be a mess, just like it was on the Union tour.

I hate Journey, but can't deny the effect they've had on people. I wouldn't have voted for them. But, hey, they're in. The only plausible argument against Baez and Tupac is that they're more folk / rap then rock n' roll. But if rock n' roll is defined that broadly, then they're in, and a whole bunch of others should be in who were never on my radar.

I've never owned a Pearl Jam record, because they're kind of like cold pizza to me. But cold pizza tastes better than Journey. No question that they'd get in.

Stick to your guns.

13. Likes:

marcshoe (12-21-2016),texasdave (12-21-2016),_Sir_Charles_ (01-03-2017)

Lynne and Tandy have often recorded together; he even showed up in a Wilbury's video (chasing the cardboard car at the end of "She's My Baby"). There was a lawsuit involving Kelly Groucutt that caused him to leave the group, but the most recent problem has been Bev Bevan. He toured for a while with groups called ELO II and Orchestra (or something), and the promoters would call them ELO, which would lead Lynne to sue. Around 2000 Lynne bought out the name. Bevan then began touring with a version of the Move, and I thought there was peace (he, or someone pretending to be him, left a note on The Move's myspace page saying he'd try to come see Bevan), but in a recent interview, Lynne said he hadn't talked to Bevan for 30 years, like you said.

And then in the last year or so, Lynne and Roy Wood got together, and Wood said he couldn't see a reunion of either group because of Bevan's using the Move name without his permission.

So who knows what will happen.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 12-21-2016 at 05:31 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

15. Likes:

cincinnati chili (12-21-2016)

Does Journey getting in open the door for Styx and REO Speedwagon?
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Does Journey getting in open the door for Styx and REO Speedwagon?
    Personally, I hope it does.

18. Likes:

goreds2 (12-28-2016),Revering4Blue (12-23-2016)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Lynne and Tandy have often recorded together; he even showed up in a Wilbury's video (chasing the cardboard car at the end of "She's My Baby"). There was a lawsuit involving Kelly Groucutt that caused him to leave the group, but the most recent problem has been Bev Bevan. He toured for a while with groups called ELO II and Orchestra (or something), and the promoters would call them ELO, which would lead Lynne to sue. Around 2000 Lynne bought out the name. Bevan then began touring with a version of the Move, and I thought there was peace (he, or someone pretending to be him, left a note on The Move's myspace page saying he'd try to come see Bevan), but in a recent interview, Lynne said he hadn't talked to Bevan for 30 years, like you said.

And then in the last year or so, Lynne and Roy Wood got together, and Wood said he couldn't see a reunion of either group because of Bevan's using the Move name without his permission.

So who knows what will happen.
    If this can be believed, Bev wants to bury the hatchet. I love the Spinal Tap story. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/fe...e-rift-w457572
    Stick to your guns.

20. Likes:

marcshoe (12-23-2016),Revering4Blue (12-23-2016)

Glad to see that, as well as the Roy Wood mention. Wood didn't stay with the group for long, but it took years for him and Lynne to get the musicians together and get ELO up and running. He deserves to be part of this.

22. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-24-2016)

Chicago, Deep Purple and Zevon. Somebody doesn't belong in that sentence.

Turn Off Ads?