Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubs thread.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubs thread.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It kind of is. Arguably, one of the main flaws with the RRHOF is it needs better snobs as its gatekeepers.
    No, it doesn't need the record store clerk up there ushering in Phish and Squeeze and KISS can stay out.

It is a Hall of Fame- it would be like putting in Dann Bilardello because he taught Johnny Bench something.

Just no...no, no, no. Nobody knows who the f Squeeze is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    No, it doesn't need the record store clerk up there ushering in Phish and Squeeze and KISS can stay out.

It is a Hall of Fame- it would be like putting in Dann Bilardello because he taught Johnny Bench something.

Paul Carrack and Jools Holland do, and they were only short-time members. Glenn Tillbrook and Chris Difford were the main guys. Seriously, Squeeze was pretty big. You might be thinking of Squash or Crush. Ever hear Cool for Cats? Pulling Mussels from the Shell? Hourglass? Tempted?

edit: looking it up, Holland was a member for longer than I thought; he just left for a little while in the early eighties. Oh well; Later.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 03-03-2021 at 05:30 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

4. Likes:

Betterread (03-03-2021),M2 (03-03-2021)

btw, Squeeze wasn't really on my snubs radar before this, but it gives me courage to start my Split Enz campaign. The Finn brothers, while different from each other, are two of the best songwriters of the rock era.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

6. Likes:

texasdave (03-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Paul Carrack and Jools Holland do, and they were only short-time members. Glenn Tillbrook and Chris Difford were the main guys. Seriously, Squeeze was pretty big. You might be thinking of Squash or Crush. Ever hear Cool for Cats? Pulling Mussels from the Shell? Hourglass? Tempted?

edit: looking it up, Holland was a member for longer than I thought; he just left for a little while in the early eighties. Oh well; Later.
    The world is a little large to argue by anecdote.

Baseball nerds can name Squeeze members and songs. The general public knows nobody...

They may know Paul Carrack's voice, they have no idea who he is....

Can you imagine a rock and roll hall of fame being run by the music snobs? Who would go?

Oh look, honey, I know you came to see KISS, but here's a plaque for Kraftwerk.

Just stop/

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    btw, Squeeze wasn't really on my snubs radar before this, but it gives me courage to start my Split Enz campaign. The Finn brothers, while different from each other, are two of the best songwriters of the rock era.
    Oh and hey, let's toss in Crowded House....they inspired somebody.

Who did Squeeze ever influence? And they’re body of work was so limited that you might as well put in the Buzzcocks for at least better work and influence. You have underground influential bands like Velvet and the Stooges or Echo & The Bunnymen who still had more popular followings than Squeeze. And they were influential.

Is Black Flag or DK in yet?

Squeeze was around for more than twenty years, iirc.

The world is a little large to argue by anecdote.

Baseball nerds can name Squeeze members and songs. The general public knows nobody...

They may know Paul Carrack's voice, they have no idea who he is....

Can you imagine a rock and roll hall of fame being run by the music snobs? Who would go?

Oh look, honey, I know you came to see KISS, but here's a plaque for Kraftwerk.

Just stop/

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and hey, let's toss in Crowded House....they inspired somebody.
    But KISS is crap Dom, pure garbage that was the bubs daddy of rock, nothing to be proud of either

The whole Rock HOF debate thing is ridiculous, might as well debate who belongs in the Pickles and Olives HOF

11. Likes:

cincinnati chili (05-10-2021),marcshoe (03-03-2021),Wonderful Monds (03-03-2021)

Halls of fame on the whole are mostly fiction. However here's a good one, even if it's a bit small: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARIA_Hall_of_Fame.

I agree with Dom. Very few people know Squeeze. They had exactly ZERO top-ten hits in America. They did have TWO in the top-40. So, there's that. I am not saying that album sales and radio play is nothing, but it is something. And anyone comparing Tillbrook and Difford to Lennon and McCartney needs to just stop. Honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    But KISS is crap Dom, pure garbage that was the bubs daddy of rock, nothing to be proud of either

The whole Rock HOF debate thing is ridiculous, might as well debate who belongs in the Pickles and Olives HOF
    Here we go. KISS was crap- because people liked them.

Squeeze is still around, still producing music, still playing shows (I saw them at the Kennedy Center in 2019 and had/have tickets to see them this Summer (hopefully). They had tons of singles and are a great band.

"People knowing a band" isn't exactly the standard for the HOF. Laura Nyro is in after all.

And Warren Zevon should be in as well.

16. Likes:

marcshoe (03-03-2021)

KISS is already in. Also, if you're going by popularity, then they never should have had to wait.

And the votes that get you in are critics, A&R folks and other musicians. The fan vote is a sideshow. It's an insiders club. If you did lines with Greil Marcus at the Bitter End in 1967, you're in. Their problem is it's a calcified group that's still waiting for Joni Mitchell's next record to drop.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

18. Likes:

cincinnati chili (05-10-2021),Revering4Blue (03-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Squeeze is still around, still producing music, still playing shows (I saw them at the Kennedy Center in 2019 and had/have tickets to see them this Summer (hopefully). They had tons of singles and are a great band.

"People knowing a band" isn't exactly the standard for the HOF. Laura Nyro is in after all.

And Warren Zevon should be in as well.
    Yeah, you're right. Obscure bands loved by 1% of the population should be in the hall of fame.

Laura Nyro should be kicked out.

20. Likes:

texasdave (03-03-2021)

J. Geils should be in as well. They were more popular than KISS at one point and had a long run playing great rhythm and blues. Plus the drummer is my Uncle's fraternity brother, which is probably as good as standard as any the HOF uses.

22. Likes:

goreds2 (03-04-2021)

Yeah, you're right. Obscure bands loved by 1% of the population should be in the hall of fame.

Laura Nyro should be kicked out.
    What you find obscure was what my friends and I have been listening to for 40 plus years. I don't think its as easy to make the call as you do denigrating bands people thinks should be in. I will, however, denigrate Journey until my dying day.

Turn Off Ads?