Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubs thread.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame snubs thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Squeeze is still around, still producing music, still playing shows (I saw them at the Kennedy Center in 2019 and had/have tickets to see them this Summer (hopefully). They had tons of singles and are a great band.

"People knowing a band" isn't exactly the standard for the HOF. Laura Nyro is in after all.

And Warren Zevon should be in as well.
    IMHO, Zevon will be inducted eventually. It is only a matter of time.

Given the previous inductions of Joan Baez, Bonnie Raitt and Dr. John - The qualifications of at least one easily recognizable, iconic song coupled with being a favorite of music critics - the aforementioned precedents have already been set. And i say this as a huge fan of Zevon's work/catalog. He was a genius.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Pat Benatar has had two multi-Platinum albums, five Platinum albums, and 15 Billboard Top 40 singles while in Canada she had eight straight Platinum albums.
    And - like most Rock/Pop crossover artists of her era - several AOR radio hits that were not Pop Top 40 singles. "Hell is for Children' the prime example.

Let's see...Joan Jett and the Blackhearts have been inducted while Benatar has, so far, been shut out?

Makes.

No.

Sense.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

4. Likes:

marcshoe (03-03-2021),mth123 (03-04-2021)

I am not saying Squeeze is a bad band like Nickleback but they sounded like a new wave Air Supply. Badfinger had more recognizable and popular music and a truly terrible story on leeching rock management. The Creation had more influence on rock guitar usage. Put them in.

While I'd like to see Badfinger in, I'll have to disagree with the squeeze/Air Supply comparison. I always thought they had some ska overtones, truthfully, like Madness or Mental as Anything.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

7. Likes:

M2 (03-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Who did Squeeze ever influence? And they’re body of work was so limited that you might as well put in the Buzzcocks for at least better work and influence. You have underground influential bands like Velvet and the Stooges or Echo & The Bunnymen who still had more popular followings than Squeeze. And they were influential.

Is Black Flag or DK in yet?
    I'd argue Squeeze is one of the main touchstones for the pop sensibilities inside the alternative genre. They definitely influenced the Pixies (a snub that should be in before Squeeze) and, by proxy, Nirvana. Fountains of Wayne is practically a knock off the Squeeze block. Brandon Flowers (The Killers) clearly was raised on a steady diet of Squeeze.

No Black Flag or DK in there. Apparently American hardcore never happened.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

marcshoe (03-03-2021),Wonderful Monds (03-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    While I'd like to see Badfinger in, I'll have to disagree with the squeeze/Air Supply comparison. I always thought they had some ska overtones, truthfully, like Madness or Mental as Anything.
    I thought they were like Split Enz on relation to their musical influences but SE were better and had catchier songs. I was not a big fan either way. If AS is a harsh comparison then I will just lump Squeeze and Joe Jackson as the Billy Joel new wave sound. Every time I would hear Billy’s Piano Man on a rock station while same DJ ‘s who were playing it are disparaging Prince during his Purple Rain days was the clearest form of ignorance typical of 80s rockers. attitude.

XTC is a band that should be in.
    Last edited by Tony Cloninger; 03-03-2021 at 09:12 PM.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd argue Squeeze is one of the main touchstones for the pop sensibilities inside the alternative genre. They definitely influenced the Pixies (a snub that should be in before Squeeze) and, by proxy, Nirvana. Fountains of Wayne is practically a knock off the Squeeze block. Brandon Flowers (The Killers) clearly was raised on a steady diet of Squeeze.

Man I knew the R&R HOF was a joke, but I didn’t realize how bad of one it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Man I knew the R&R HOF was a joke, but I didn’t realize how bad of one it is.
    Arguably, you can make a better R&R HOF from the bands not in there, certainly a more raucous one.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

13. Likes:

Betterread (03-03-2021),Revering4Blue (03-03-2021),Tony Cloninger (03-03-2021),Wonderful Monds (03-03-2021)

Somehow I hadn't realized the Pixies weren't in, but I should have known. btw, I read something Black Francis had written about one of my favorite semi-obscure horror writers a couple of years ago, but I can't remember who it was, only that it impressed me. I need to find that. Given the kick I was on at the time, it might have been Robert Aickman.

Another aside, since XTC was mentioned, when Depeche Mode went in I made the comment that XTC was a similar band that was more deserving. I don't know that they should be in, but I wouldn't compain.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Such a silly and non-winnable debate.

“NOBODY knows :insert band name:!!”

Go up to a 19 year old and ask them to name a Beatles song. See what happens.

I guarantee you more people under the age of 22 know who Rick Astley is than Gene Simmons, Robert Plant, Steve Perry, George Harrison, whatever. Soley because of the meme.

What’s that mean? It means the rock and roll half of fame is, in a word, silly.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 03-03-2021 at 10:07 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

cincinnati chili (05-10-2021),M2 (03-03-2021),marcshoe (03-03-2021),westofyou (03-03-2021),Wonderful Monds (03-03-2021)

I’d say Joy Division/New Order are as glaring of an omission as any other. There arguably would not have been alternative or indie rock without them, given how of those genres had their roots in what Joy Division did. New Wave too.

18. Likes:

M2 (03-04-2021),RedTeamGo! (03-04-2021),Tony Cloninger (03-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Here we go. KISS was crap- because people liked them.
    No, they were crap because they sang stupid songs about stupid stuff and they looked stupid.

Sure people liked them, people like Haggis too.

20. Likes:

cincinnati chili (05-10-2021),marcshoe (03-03-2021),Roy Tucker (03-04-2021),Wonderful Monds (03-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

Squeeze aside from Elvis Costello were probably the most popular "Pub Rock" bands that popped up 40 years ago, but because Tanya in Ybor City doesn't know that they are doorstops in the annals of history

22. Likes:

M2 (03-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Squeeze aside from Elvis Costello were probably the most popular "Pub Rock" bands that popped up 40 years ago, but because Tanya in Ybor City doesn't know that they are doorstops in the annals of history
    This the second reference to Ybor City made on this board in the last week
    Last edited by Wonderful Monds; 03-03-2021 at 11:10 PM.

24. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (03-03-2021)

Can't wait for Creed to get in
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?