Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Weather

Re: Weather

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    I watched some live streams today. Ft. Meyers Beach had insane flooding from the storm surge, and Punta Gorda got absolutely hammered by wind on the backside of the eyewall. When the sun rises tomorrow the damage is gonna be really bad. Hopefully these folks evacuated.

Also saw this from a weather follow. Shows how Ian stacks up historically.

Attachment 18805
    That list doesn't even include hurricanes like Wilma (2005) which caused $21B worth of damage in Florida alone Doesn't have to be cat 4 or 5 to be very dangerous

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Sanibel Causeway wiped out

Total devastation along the coast
    Saw the photos of the causeway. Damage wasn’t due to any shortcomings in construction. It just took a direct hit from a major hurricane. Jeez.

If that happened to the causeway, I can’t imagine what happened to the structures on the island.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Saw the photos of the causeway. Damage wasn’t due to any shortcomings in construction. It just took a direct hit from a major hurricane. Jeez.

If that happened to the causeway, I can’t imagine what happened to the structures on the island.
    Looks really torn up

https://www.fox13news.com/weather/hu...thwest-florida

Fort Myers Beach is erased.

Sanibel too.

On a separate note,

Welcome to Florida you soulless hedge fund ghouls who bought up everything worth having.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Our double wide in our over 55 park stayed together. We got lucky.
    Last edited by redhawkfish; 09-30-2022 at 05:59 AM.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

7. Likes:

adkindo (09-29-2022),cumberlandreds (09-30-2022),goreds2 (09-29-2022),Kingspoint (09-30-2022),Redsfaithful (09-30-2022),Revering4Blue (09-29-2022),RFS62 (09-29-2022),Roy Tucker (10-01-2022),The Operator (10-02-2022)

The images coming out of coastal Fort Meyers and the barrier islands are just indescribable beyond total devastation. I have never seen inland flooding this bad throughout Central Florida. I can only imagine the flooding that will take place along the St. Johns river once this water arrives. Today was the wettest day on record for Orlando and surrounding areas.....all of the downtown lakes flooded over their banks putting large parts of downtown under water. I find the inland flooding extremely dangerous as it transports gators, water moccasins and other dangers.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkindo View Post
    Nobody will say it out loud, but the state, insurance companies, etc. are very thankful Tampa avoided one again. The worst case scenario for a West Coast (Florida) storm is to go into Tampa Bay. The storm surge would be catastrophic to a major urban area that has not been hit in nearly a century....when it was not a highly populated or urban area.
    The home insurance industry in Florida is an absolute mess. The serious companies started pulling out after Andrew after 1992 and later the hurricane heavy early 2000's. That left a lot of policies with state-owned Citizens corp. But then Florida legislators (Republican mainly) had a great idea: entice the "private" sector to get back in by letting them 'cherry-pick" policies from Citizens (at first homeowner had right of refusal, later it was mandatory). So well-connected insurance "entrepreneurs" set up shop with fancy names like "Heritage", "Avatar" etc. (I got "taken out" by half a dozen of these and had to refuse to get back to Citizens – until I couldn’t anymore).

So, these companies are already going broke. Homeowners have teamed up with lawyers and contractors to file suit requesting new roofs and other repairs alleging wind damage. (You need a new roof here in Florida every 20 yrs or so). And they have been winning large settlements, prompting proposed changes in legislation.

Naturally a large part of the problem is that these companies were never set up to be real insurance companies anyway, the idea was to collect premiums, pay out salaries and dividends until the next big hurricane. At that point the State (through Citizen’s or the insurance guarantee fund) would step in (and these companies would file for Bankrupcty).

Now we have the big one. Never mind that it didn’t hit Tampa. This is huge and state-wide. It will be a financial disaster for the state.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

10. Likes:

Betterread (09-30-2022)

Some hi res satellite photos of Sanibel and other affected Ft Myers area.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/i...27.766/-82.101
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Turn Off Ads?