Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Weather

Re: Weather

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Interesting that Cincinnati ranked pretty high. I think that's because it's at a point where several weather systems interact. In Cincinnati you can get weather from the Gulf, the Great Lakes or from the Atlantic. Northern Michigan weather can also be funky due to the Great Lakes. Those lakes do weird things to the weather. You can't just look at Wisconsin and extrapolate what's coming east
    Where does Atlanta rank? I've lived here for three years now, and we've had some pretty radically different weather each year. Of course, I'm also skeptical whether my experience is in any way typical.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Where does Atlanta rank? I've lived here for three years now, and we've had some pretty radically different weather each year. Of course, I'm also skeptical whether my experience is in any way typical.
    Right in the middle (I found Atlanta not predictable, but also not crazy weird.. just hot a lot)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Atlanta is an interesting place geographically. As you go around the world at Atlanta's latitude, almost every area is dry, pretty much a desert. Atlanta and SE Asia are the only exceptions. The reason Atlanta is different is because of the Gulf of Mexico. Ten years ago Atlanta flirted with its geography as it endured quite a drought.

5. Likes:

marcshoe (11-13-2015),RedEye (11-12-2015),Revering4Blue (11-13-2015)

Interesting that Hawaii is the most predictable. When I was there I recall being told that their native language didn't even have a word for weather because it was always the same.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Atlanta is an interesting place geographically. As you go around the world at Atlanta's latitude, almost every area is dry, pretty much a desert. Atlanta and SE Asia are the only exceptions. The reason Atlanta is different is because of the Gulf of Mexico. Ten years ago Atlanta flirted with its geography as it endured quite a drought.
    The reason for this is large-scale global circulation patterns. As you can see in the image below, air tends to circulate north to south. This is because heating of the earth by the sun is uneven and weather is nature's way of taking energy surplus at the equator and putting it where there's a deficit at the poles. Anyway, due to this and a few other factors, these cells are formed. Heat rises at the equator, subsides around 30 degrees latitude, rises again at 60 degrees and subsides near the poles.

Rising air leads to lower pressure, and what do we get when low pressure comes along? Precipitation. Subsiding air leads to higher pressure. What do we get then? Dry air. So on a very large scale, you're getting lots of rain in the tropics (where the tropical rain forests and jungles are), lots of dry at 30 degrees (where the Sahara, Gobi, Mohave, and other major deserts are), lots of rain at 60 degrees (where the mid-latitude rain forests are), and lots of dry near the poles (where, despite the presence of lots of ice, it's surprisingly dry and lacking in precipitation).

Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

8. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-02-2016)

Interesting that Hawaii is the most predictable. When I was there I recall being told that their native language didn't even have a word for weather because it was always the same.
    Seriously? That's wild.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The reason for this is large-scale global circulation patterns. As you can see in the image below, air tends to circulate north to south. This is because heating of the earth by the sun is uneven and weather is nature's way of taking energy surplus at the equator and putting it where there's a deficit at the poles. Anyway, due to this and a few other factors, these cells are formed. Heat rises at the equator, subsides around 30 degrees latitude, rises again at 60 degrees and subsides near the poles.

Rising air leads to lower pressureE, and what do we get when low pressure comes along? Precipitation. Subsiding air leads to higher pressure. What do we get then? Dry air. So on a very large scale, you're getting lots of rain in the tropics (where the tropical rain forests and jungles are), lots of dry at 30 degrees (where the Sahara, Gobi, Mohave, and other major deserts are), lots of rain at 60 degrees (where the mid-latitude rain forests are), and lots of dry near the poles (where, despite the presence of lots of ice, it's surprisingly dry and lacking in precipitation).

You noaa geeks and your weather machines. Turn off the force field, we need a hurricane.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    You noaa geeks and your weather machines. Turn off the force field, we need a hurricane.
    Hey now, I have a lot of friends at Weather Service HQ. All I'm going to say is be careful what you wish for.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Hey now, I have a lot of friends at Weather Service HQ. All I'm going to say is be careful what you wish for.

Oooh, scared. Let me know when you have some friends at HAARP.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Oooh, scared. Let me know when you have some friends at HAARP.
    I love freaking out the conspiracy theorists when I tell them I've actually visited that facility in Alaska.

By any chance did you know this guy, Dan?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...rash/79319994/

By any chance did you know this guy, Dan?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...rash/79319994/
    Thanks. No, I didn't know him. The only person I know from TWC is Jennifer Lopez. And I bet there was a medical issue with him. My dad was driving when an aneurysm burst in his brain, causing him to lose consciousness, slump, and speed through some yards and across a busy road.

I had over 30 inches of snow where I live in Northern Virginia over the weekend. I'm just now getting dug out good. This rivaled the 2010 storm. Pretty much everything was shutdown up here and just now starting to see things ope back up. It was quite a storm.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I had over 30 inches of snow where I live in Northern Virginia over the weekend. I'm just now getting dug out good. This rivaled the 2010 storm. Pretty much everything was shutdown up here and just now starting to see things ope back up. It was quite a storm.
    I know. I used to live there (Leesburg, Ashburn, Reston, Sterling, and Woodbridge) and was on Facebook tracking the storm for my friends who are still there. Kinda sad I missed it, but Cali is the place for me now.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Nice. Ended up with 27" in my part of Balt City. Still not dug out (I need a plow or I cannot get my car off of my block) so I walked to work downtown today. 5.1 miles as it turns out.

Turn Off Ads?