Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Weather

Re: Weather

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Nice. Ended up with 27" in my part of Balt City. Still not dug out (I need a plow or I cannot get my car off of my block) so I walked to work downtown today. 5.1 miles as it turns out.
    Kudos. That's long walk in the snow, heavy boots and all. Hope your employer was impressed

2. Likes:

wolfboy (01-28-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Kudos. That's long walk in the snow, heavy boots and all. Hope your employer was impressed
    Fingers crossed on that last part, yes.

5. Likes:

wolfboy (01-28-2016)

For my fellow Cincinnatians, Facebook recently reminded me what it looked like two years ago:

Name:  73178_10203089674351358_465428826_n.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  129.4 KB

Could be worse.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Atlanta is an interesting place geographically. As you go around the world at Atlanta's latitude, almost every area is dry, pretty much a desert. Atlanta and SE Asia are the only exceptions. The reason Atlanta is different is because of the Gulf of Mexico. Ten years ago Atlanta flirted with its geography as it endured quite a drought.
    I heard that because Atlanta removed most its vegetation within 10 miles of downtowns epicenter, there's a constant rising of heat, day or night, and makes it extremely unpleasant.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I heard that because Atlanta removed most its vegetation within 10 miles of downtowns epicenter, there's a constant rising of heat, day or night, and makes it extremely unpleasant.
    I find plenty of other reasons for Atlanta to be labeled unpleasant.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    There are definitely micro-climates that are very difficult to forecast for. I live in one NE of SF. Basically the high temperature is either 75 or 95, depending on whether the desert air makes it this far west to push out the Pacific marine layer. At least we know it's not going to rain. LOL I can't imagine how difficult it must be up there around PDX.
    I lived in Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill and Concord in the mid-80's. Though they bordered each other in a triangle, Walnut Creek had the benefit of being at the inside-most position of a V-shaped mountain range. The clouds that would come off the Bay hit that V and either went north of Walnut Creek through Pleasant Hill and Vallejo or South of Walnut Creek through Danville. As a result, it only rained 2 of the 52 weeks a year there. If not for the high winds (and that it lay on the San Andreas Fault), it was unbelievably good weather.

I'll still take San Diego over everything.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Weather

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I find plenty of other reasons for Atlanta to be labeled unpleasant.
    It's not too bad. Lived here for three years now almost. My only real complaints are the traffic and the pollen during allergy season. Never knew there were so many trees here before we moved!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    It's not too bad. Lived here for three years now almost. My only real complaints are the traffic and the pollen during allergy season. Never knew there were so many trees here before we moved!
    They have a suburb called "Peach Tree City" and it never occurred to you?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Starting decade #3 here. It really is stunning to fly in and out. That's when you appreciate the fact that the city is located in the middle of a forest.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    They have a suburb called "Peach Tree City" and it never occurred to you?
    I'm from Peachtree City.

it's awesome.

Wish I'd put it together that so many Reds fans were in GA when I was regularly going to Savannah.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Wish I'd put it together that so many Reds fans were in GA when I was regularly going to Savannah.
    I've lived in Georgia on and off for 28 years. I never have made it to Savannah.

Yeah. That's stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I've lived in Georgia on and off for 28 years. I never have made it to Savannah.

Yeah. That's stupid.
    Nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there. Not as much of a tourist trap as you might think.

Australian lightning video with terrific "subtitles"

18. Likes:

dougdirt (02-24-2016),RFS62 (02-27-2016),WrongVerb (02-24-2016)

Nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there. Not as much of a tourist trap as you might think.
    I have an uncle who lives on Tybee Island. He used to build houses, then flip them, but he's been in the same place for more than twenty years now. Getting older, I guess. I want to go back and visit purely as a tourist sometime. When I've been it's been with family, and we've only spent a little time doing touristy things.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

20. Likes:

WrongVerb (03-07-2016)

Turn Off Ads?