Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones, Season 6

Game of Thrones, Season 6

First promo posters released today for season 6. Check this one out:

Name:  images-1.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  4.9 KB

Looks like Jon Snow is indeed alive, so all those rumored sightings of Kit Carrington filming are true. Series continues in April 2016. I can hardly wait.
    Last edited by RedEye; 11-23-2015 at 04:33 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Game of Thrones, Season 6

No GoT fans here? Seriously? Maybe I just missed another thread...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Huge fan here, though I actually hadn't watched a single episode prior to the start of Season 5. Just never really got around to it.

Gotta give kudos to Harrington - it's obvious how much he's matured as an actor over the past few years. Snow has been my favorite character from the very beginning.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

5. Likes:

RedEye (11-27-2015)

Love the books, I don't like how much they started changing around the end of season 3 and haven't watched since.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Love the books, I don't like how much they started changing around the end of season 3 and haven't watched since.
    Huh. I've heard that after that the shows are a vast improvement though. I haven't read the books except for parts of the first one. In general tho I try not to make things an either/or comparison.

The show is a massive improvement.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

9. Likes:

RedEye (11-29-2015)

I've done the opposite of what most do and was a show watcher first and then started reading the books this summer. I'm just into Book 4. I've heard that the fifth book is just bad and both 4/5 really drag on. But the first three books are fantastic.

11. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (11-30-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    I've done the opposite of what most do and was a show watcher first and then started reading the books this summer. I'm just into Book 4. I've heard that the fifth book is just bad and both 4/5 really drag on. But the first three books are fantastic.
    This is what I have heard as well. And the first three books are really the core of the show so far as well.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Once you get past all the succession stuff on the Iron Islands (spoiler alert: the Ironborn are all uniformly boring / unlikable characters), Book 4 isn't terrible. I actually enjoyed Book 5.

The series is definitely teetering on the edge right now, though. Robert Jordan had the same problem with "The Wheel of Time," where he spent 3-4 books doing some of the best worldbuilding and character development this side of Tolkien, and then was unable to pivot towards plot resolutions and bring the series home. I'm hoping Martin doesn't make the same mistakes, but it seems like he's still adding pieces to the board.

As for the show, I like a lot of what they've done and hate a bit of it as well. And, don't be too quick to assume Jon Snow is "alive" in the most accurate sense of the word.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    As for the show, I like a lot of what they've done and hate a bit of it as well. And, don't be too quick to assume Jon Snow is "alive" in the most accurate sense of the word.
    Yeah, I'm sure he "died" so that he can be released from the Watch and go do hoodrat stuff with his friends the last 3 seasons. I guess he could also come back as Azor Ahai.

Shifting gears, I know that Martin really wanted to wrap the series up with a movie instead of on HBO so that they could have a $300mm budget and really do it up but HBO said no. But the world is big enough that I could see someone going back and doing a movie about something like Robert's Rebellion.
    Last edited by RiverRat13; 11-30-2015 at 02:04 PM.

I binge watched seasons 1-3 (before season 4 came out), then read all 5 books, then watched season's 4 and 5. I much preferred seasons 1-3. Four was mostly okay, but I was annoyed with some of the divergences and omissions, especially one that they'd set up in Season 1 (Tysha - to be specific). I hated how they portrayed some characters as compared to the books as well (Tyrion was way too "good" in the show in seasons 4 and 5).

I agree with others that book 4 drug along a bit with the Greyjoys and the adventures of Briene and Pod, but the King's Landing storyline - especially the diabolical Cersei - was very interesting. Book 5 was incredible, in my opinion (though 3 is still my favorite). Season 5 left me very disappointed and I told my wife I wouldn't watch Season 6. I just don't trust the HBO writers, especially now that George has stopped contributing to focus on his book (which he can't write soon enough).
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

What they did to the Sansa Stark character this past season was almost enough to make me swear off the TV show for good.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I love the 5th book, but the 4th is a slog.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    What they did to the Sansa Stark character this past season was almost enough to make me swear off the TV show for good.
    I didn't have a problem with that. It struck me as honest to the characters and a sign of just how wicked the GOT world has become. It contrasted Bolton's cruelty with Tyrion's fundamental decency on his wedding night to Sansa, making it clear that she's beyond safety. It's also way less harsh than what happens to Bolton's fake-Sansa bride Jeyne Poole in the books. If they had filmed that, people really would have gone nuts.

Also, Sansa's fundamental character arc in the books and shows is that of a less-than-sympathetic ingenue who blunders into increasingly treacherous circumstances until becoming treacherous herself.

Snow's "death" has to be temporary. He's in a castle with a red witch, who certainly can perform a R'hllor-aided resurrection. He also can warg into another body - possibly his direwolf, Ghost - while Lady Melisandre works her voodoo. The 5th book/season ended there for the "not this too" effect. It's playing off Ned's beheading and Robb's betrayal at the Red Wedding. We're brought to a new pit of despair before the story pivots toward its resolution.

So, Jon Snow may be dead, but rest assured Kit Harrington will rise as Jon Targaryen (because Ned was his uncle, not his father).
    Last edited by M2; 12-01-2015 at 01:09 AM.

Turn Off Ads?