Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Want new headphones? Apple might force you to get them even if you don't.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Want new headphones? Apple might force you to get them even if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    I don't think Apple costs more than an equivalent PC anymore. A Dell XPS or a Lonova Yoga is just as good as a Macbook Air, and they cost just as much, too. Both reputations (Apple as overpriced, PC as junky) comes from the fact that Apple does high-end exclusively, whereas you can get a mid- or low-end PC. But whatever you go with, usually you get what you pay for.
    As someone who recently spec'd out a Macbook, I can't agree at all. Those things are very expensive for what comes inside of them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    I don't think Apple costs more than an equivalent PC anymore. A Dell XPS or a Lonova Yoga is just as good as a Macbook Air, and they cost just as much, too. Both reputations (Apple as overpriced, PC as junky) comes from the fact that Apple does high-end exclusively, whereas you can get a mid- or low-end PC. But whatever you go with, usually you get what you pay for.
    It does. See my previous post in response to RedTeamGo. The fact that some PC vendors sell a few models in an attempt to compete directly with Apple does not mean that Apple is no more expensive than a PC.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Sidenote: I've never had a PC laptop last more than 3 years.
    Personally, I really dislike laptops. I use one for work out of necessity (travel, working out in the field, etc), but never use one otherwise. It's mostly because I hate laptop keyboards and touchpads, but also because they're just not comfortable to use on your lap. If I'm going to plug in an external keyboard/mouse or sit at a desk/table, I'd rather just have a desktop (superior specs, no proprietary junk, better performance per dollar spent), but that defeats the purpose of a laptop in the first place. I do, however, like tablets. What I may set up in the future is a Windows 10 machine with a touch interface that I can remote desktop to with a tablet. I haven't used Windows 10's touch interface yet and don't know how it performs with any Android/iOS remote desktop apps, but I can imagine something well-configured being quite convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    So, it would appear that Apple is going to be removing the standard 3.5mm Headphone jack from the next iPhone, at least according to the rumors.

Yes, bluetooth is an option, but bluetooth kind of sucks on several fronts. I use it, and it's ok. But between connectivity issues and just the downgrade in quality of the output, it's going to be a real issue for some people. It's being done, apparently, to shave 1mm off of the thickness of the phone. You know, that phone that 99% of users are going to put into a big, thick protective case (with a circle cut out of the back so people can see that you have an iPhone, of course). This is just another way that Apple is sucking the money out of the pockets of it's users. Make everything Apple specific so you have to buy everything made by them to use with their device. Want to use your old headphones? Buy our adapter (for $49.99 - probably).

I hate almost everything about that company. With a passion.
    Last edited by bounty37h; 12-11-2015 at 04:14 PM.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

My laptop before this one was used for 4 years. I still use it as a media streamer, which puts it at roughly 6 years of use now. I did do a complete hard drive format on it twice. Once was because I wound up with malware (still unsure where it came from, which is completely infuriating for someone like me) and instead of trying to fight with it and go through my registry and all of that terribleness, I just backed up what I needed and wiped it clean. The other time was when I bought this one and decided to just use the other one as a media streamer, I figured start over with a clean machine. I will be doing it one more time here soon when I upgrade it to Windows 10 (it's a Windows 7 machine).
    That's probably what I'll do if and when this ASUS starts to drag. I'm always afraid to try to much with re-formatting, that kind of thing.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    Personally, I really dislike laptops. I use one for work out of necessity (travel, working out in the field, etc), but never use one otherwise. It's mostly because I hate laptop keyboards and touchpads, but also because they're just not comfortable to use on your lap. If I'm going to plug in an external keyboard/mouse or sit at a desk/table, I'd rather just have a desktop (superior specs, no proprietary junk, better performance per dollar spent), but that defeats the purpose of a laptop in the first place. I do, however, like tablets. What I may set up in the future is a Windows 10 machine with a touch interface that I can remote desktop to with a tablet. I haven't used Windows 10's touch interface yet and don't know how it performs with any Android/iOS remote desktop apps, but I can imagine something well-configured being quite convenient.
    A laptop can be stored into a case or put up in the closet / on the shelf when it isn't being used. A desktop computer marries you to a tower, a monitor, etc. that all require dedicated space someplace in your house. I get your overall point on "laptops don't really work well on laps," but desktop computers are space hogs and (generally) eyesores around the house. I'm very happy to have been rid of my desktop for the past decade, even if it meant a slightly higher investment cost for a laptop.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

8. Likes:

Rojo (12-14-2015)

I used to think I couldn't transition to a laptop, until I finally did it. It felt awkward for a week or so, and I haven't looked back, but I understand for certain people it's just not a real option.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I used to think I couldn't transition to a laptop, until I finally did it. It felt awkward for a week or so, and I haven't looked back, but I understand for certain people it's just not a real option.
    Meh, I prefer a desktop, get more bang for your buck, lasts longer too.

I have 24 Gig memory on my tower, I wouldn't want to pay for that in a laptop myself.

I have 2 laptops and two towers, the towers I prefer 100% of the time

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    A laptop can be stored into a case or put up in the closet / on the shelf when it isn't being used. A desktop computer marries you to a tower, a monitor, etc. that all require dedicated space someplace in your house. I get your overall point on "laptops don't really work well on laps," but desktop computers are space hogs and (generally) eyesores around the house. I'm very happy to have been rid of my desktop for the past decade, even if it meant a slightly higher investment cost for a laptop.
    I have an office in my basement full of baseball books, it's a great place for my tower

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Meh, I prefer a desktop, get more bang for your buck, lasts longer too.

I have 24 Gig memory on my tower, I wouldn't want to pay for that in a laptop myself.
    I really only see it if you play games or code/design/do some sort of work where you need the monitors and horsepower (you do, don't you? Or am I misremembering?)

Like I said, there's real exceptions, but most people don't need it. A lot of people can get by with tablets honestly.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    I understand why people buy Macs. They don't want to spend any time dealing with the headaches that come with Windows/Linux and making PC hardware choices. That's not me. I like to configure and optimize.
    I bought my first PC in the olden days when a good one would set you back a couple grand or more. Back then, if you had one, you were probably a tinkerer/hobbyist and obsessed over the specs. I certainly did. But for at least 90% of the buying public nowadays, it's just an appliance. Hardcore gamers and the like aside, avoiding hassles is a bigger priority than incremental performance gains.

The Macbook Pro may be a great laptop, but you can get a far more powerful one for the same price if you get a PC. Apple makes quality products. They just charge you an arm and a leg for them compared to an absolutely equivalent counterpart that has the exact same stuff inside of it from another company, OS excluded.
    And the Mac enthusiast would say, "yeah, but then you have a PC and not a Mac."

I have PCs myself but I get the Mac thing, since I've used them a little bit. The OS is not only NOT excluded, it's the primary reason Mac buyers buy Macs.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I really only see it if you play games or code/design/do some sort of work where you need the monitors and horsepower (you do, don't you? Or am I misremembering?)

Like I said, there's real exceptions, but most people don't need it. A lot of people can get by with tablets honestly.
    Not a gamer, do a lot of web dev work and database stuff, but I like a spread out setup more, I loath mouse pads on laptops and I prefer to load my data on an external drive over a laptop or a cloud.

In short I prefer the old school setup... and I've owned laptops the last 20 years too

14. Likes:

Redsfaithful (12-14-2015)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I have PCs myself but I get the Mac thing, since I've used them a little bit. The OS is not only NOT excluded, it's the primary reason Mac buyers buy Macs.
    Which is strange, because they are essentially the same thing. Yeah, there are some slight differences here and there - but they work pretty much the exact same way. Boxes to open and close. Icons on the bottom to open up your programs. This isn't like comparing DOS to Windows 10/OS X.

Real reason I don't like Macs is a don't care for the OS, I like more control of my machine and traditionally Mac gave you less.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Real reason I don't like Macs is a don't care for the OS, I like more control of my machine and traditionally Mac gave you less.
    I like OS when it comes to "fun." I like PC when it comes to "work." If I have to do any kind of work with Office I want a PC. When it comes to pictures, music, movies, etc. I want OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I understand why many people prefer laptops over desktops. I simply have a very strong preference for desktops. I've currently got 4 "desktops", applying that definition liberally.

1. In a closet running a file server, among other things (no monitor).
    2. In a fancy-looking case in the family room. It's great for playing emulated console games (ie. Dolphin running Twilight Princess) and PC games on the big screen. I've spent a good amount of time playing Fallout 4 with a wireless Xbox 360 controller while reclining on the couch lately. It also serves as a front-end for watching movies, TV shows, Youtube videos, etc. I don't have cable, so it takes the place of a cable box.
    3. In the bedroom. It's a small, silent, fanless box that runs only the movie/TV show/Youtube front end. It's not powerful enough to play any games.
    4. In the office, multi-monitor. If I'm working from home or playing a game that requires a mouse/keyboard, that's where it happens.

If I'm going to sit on the couch and use a "computer", I prefer a tablet over a laptop 99 times out of 100. If I'm going to be sitting at a desk, I prefer a desktop over a laptop 100 times out of 100.
    Last edited by Beltway; 12-15-2015 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo

Turn Off Ads?