Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Want new headphones? Apple might force you to get them even if you don't.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Want new headphones? Apple might force you to get them even if you don't.

So, it would appear that Apple is going to be removing the standard 3.5mm Headphone jack from the next iPhone, at least according to the rumors.

Yes, bluetooth is an option, but bluetooth kind of sucks on several fronts. I use it, and it's ok. But between connectivity issues and just the downgrade in quality of the output, it's going to be a real issue for some people. It's being done, apparently, to shave 1mm off of the thickness of the phone. You know, that phone that 99% of users are going to put into a big, thick protective case (with a circle cut out of the back so people can see that you have an iPhone, of course). This is just another way that Apple is sucking the money out of the pockets of it's users. Make everything Apple specific so you have to buy everything made by them to use with their device. Want to use your old headphones? Buy our adapter (for $49.99 - probably).

I hate almost everything about that company. With a passion.

2. Likes:

919191 (12-02-2015),BillDoran (12-08-2015),cinredsfan2000 (12-07-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Want new headphones? Apple might force you to get them even if you don't.

It's a rumor

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    It's a rumor
    You're a rumor!

It's a rumor - but one from a place that tends to get the rumors right.

6. Likes:

Joseph (12-19-2015)

You understand Apple is in the business of making money? Pretty much every business does stuff like this. It sucks, but that's how capitalism works. And I love capitalism.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

8. Likes:

bucksfan2 (12-01-2015)

Eh all mobile manufacturers will move away from it in the future since the race to be the thinnest lightest phone is on. And the 3.5mm jack is holding everything back.

But Apple markets so well that people throw money at them so I'm sure it'll be alright. I'll stick with Android.

Funny, because Apple computers went into in the 80's and 90's precisely because they were so proprietary.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You understand Apple is in the business of making money? Pretty much every business does stuff like this. It sucks, but that's how capitalism works. And I love capitalism.
    Nope. I don't understand business at all. Can you please explain it to me in detail?

headphone jacks eh?

My life is over.

Not

I have one apple device, a phone.

I like it, not impressed with androids interface, will buy a headphone if I buy a new phone... and I will survive

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Actually it's not capitalism. It's manipulation. But yes, that manipulation is a common occurrence among profit-first corporations.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

14. Likes:

BillDoran (12-08-2015),cinredsfan2000 (12-07-2015)

How dare car companies make car's that require a specific type of oil that is only available from approved suppliers.

I switched to a Samsung phone shortly before the iPhone 5 came out. I still don't regret it.
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

17. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (12-07-2015),Joseph (12-19-2015),TRF (12-14-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    How dare car companies make car's that require a specific type of oil that is only available from approved suppliers.
    Exactly my point. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    I switched to a Samsung phone shortly before the iPhone 5 came out. I still don't regret it.
    I have the Galaxy 5 and love it.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Have bluetooth headphones gotten any better? I tried a set a few years ago and it was nothing but a hassle and when it did work it sounded like someone playing the radio in the bathroom.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Have bluetooth headphones gotten any better? I tried a set a few years ago and it was nothing but a hassle and when it did work it sounded like someone playing the radio in the bathroom.
    I have a set from Sony that wrap behind the head and over the ears. They don't completely cover the ears, but they sound fine to me. Then again, I'm not a huge stickler for fidelity when listening to music or podcasts from my phone, either.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Better, but still not incredibly reliable and the sound still doesn't stand up.

Turn Off Ads?