Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Want new headphones? Apple might force you to get them even if you don't.

Re: Want new headphones? Apple might force you to get them even if you don't.

Love my Macbook Pro, love my iPhone. Why anyone cares what I buy or use I have no idea.

I do think the company is suffering without Jobs unfortunately. The watch was weak, but maybe it'll grow into something better.

I'm excited to hear about Apple getting into electric cars, I want more bold moves like that.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    My Apple hate is simple: Their products aren't any better than other top end products produced by their competitors, but they've convinced people that they are, and charge twice as much for them. Good marketing on their part, no doubt, but it drives me insane.
    I know a very experienced web developer/programmer that got a new job a year ago and after he was offered the position the lead programmer asked "What kind of laptop do you want? We will order it immediately." My friend said "Macbook Pro" without hesitation and the employer said "Ha! I was just kidding, we ordered a macbook pro last week for you, just wanted to make sure you weren't an idiot."

tl;dr: it's not just marketing.

Slightly related: I am fixing up our new home right now and the office/guestroom is nearly completed. One of the first purchases my wife and I will make for the new home is a 21.5" iMAC w/ 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor. I am pumped.

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/im...A&step=config#

We will then have 2 iphones, ipad, and imac.

Do I get a sticker at that point?
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 12-08-2015 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I know a very experienced web developer/programmer that got a new job a year ago and after he was offered the position the lead programmer asked "What kind of laptop do you want? We will order it immediately." My friend said "Macbook Pro" without hesitation and the employer said "Ha! I was just kidding, we ordered a macbook pro last week for you, just wanted to make sure you weren't an idiot."

Slightly related: I am fixing up our new home right now and the office/guestroom is nearly completed. One of the first purchases my wife and I will make for the new home is a 21.5" iMAC w/ 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor. I am pumped.

I understand why people buy Macs. They don't want to spend any time dealing with the headaches that come with Windows/Linux and making PC hardware choices. That's not me. I like to configure and optimize. Regarding that Mac you linked, I recently built something at a similar price point. Here's a spec comparison:

Me - You
    CPU: i5 6600K (3.5 GHz unlocked Skylake CPU) - i5 2.8 GHz (no other information)
    RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400 - 16 GB LPDDR3 1867 (not a noticeable difference here)
    Storage: 512 GB Samsung 950 Pro NVMe (M.2 socket 3 SSD) - 256 GB Flash Storage (probably a SATA SSD, M.2 socket 3 is much, much faster)
    GPU: MSI 970 GTX - Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 (these aren't even comparable, a 970 GTX can run games at 60 FPS in ultra most of the time. An Iris Pro...stick to medium settings and you might get 30 FPS)
    Monitor: 2-27" Benq (already had these) - 21.5" (is it still 2005?)

For what you're spending you could build a Windows or Linux PC that would absolutely wipe the floor with that Mac. But again, I understand why people buy them. If you're not confident building your own PC, a Mac can be an attractive option.

You said you don't understand the Apple hate, not the iPhone hate....

As far as the iPhone prices - they are charging you $100 for a memory card you can buy on amazon for $20 (not to mention that the 16GB card in the other phone was only $7 - so for $13 to you, much less to them, they are gauging you for $100). And they do that on everything they sell.
    I don't understand your point. Apple makes the iPhone and many other products. I gave one example.

I know that extra iPhone storage is more expensive than buying an SD card. That's why I mentioned different models. My wife has a Galaxy Note 3 and I have an iPhone 6. My iPhone 6 been useful for work-related testing. Outside of that, I could take it or leave it. It just seems really weird to me that people get so emotionally invested in products and brands that they develop love/hate relationships with things they don't even own.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Then you have already voted with your pocket book, why the hell do you care about Apple products if you don't buy them?

I mean other to vent that is.
    I care because Apple tends to dictate the market in a lot of areas, unfortunately. So when they do something, it matters for the products that I do care about in some cases.

And some of it is venting. We all need to vent every now and again.

7. Likes:

westofyou (12-08-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    I understand why people buy Macs. They don't want to spend any time dealing with the headaches that come with Windows/Linux and making PC hardware choices. That's not me. I like to configure and optimize. Regarding that Mac you linked, I recently built something at a similar price point. Here's a spec comparison:

Me - You
    CPU: i5 6600K (3.5 GHz unlocked Skylake CPU) - i5 2.8 GHz (no other information)
    RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400 - 16 GB LPDDR3 1867 (not a noticeable difference here)
    Storage: 512 GB Samsung 950 Pro NVMe (M.2 socket 3 SSD) - 256 GB Flash Storage (probably a SATA SSD, M.2 socket 3 is much, much faster)
    GPU: MSI 970 GTX - Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 (these aren't even comparable, a 970 GTX can run games at 60 FPS in ultra most of the time. An Iris Pro...stick to medium settings and you might get 30 FPS)
    Monitor: 2-27" Benq (already had these) - 21.5" (is it still 2005?)

For what you're spending you could build a Windows or Linux PC that would absolutely wipe the floor with that Mac. But again, I understand why people buy them. If you're not confident building your own PC, a Mac can be an attractive option.
    Yeah, I totally get where you are coming from. My brother is an avid gamer and builds his own machines. I used to game a lot, but not much at all anymore, especially with the recent arrival of a baby. We just want a solid machine that is consistent and is compatible with all of our devices. It will also be powerful enough to run Heroes of the Storm, so I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

The Macbook Pro may be a great laptop, but you can get a far more powerful one for the same price if you get a PC. Apple makes quality products. They just charge you an arm and a leg for them compared to an absolutely equivalent counterpart that has the exact same stuff inside of it from another company, OS excluded.

The one thing that I do enjoy about my friends getting Apple products though: When they break, they no longer come to me and ask to have them fixed. They take them to the Apple store and have someone else do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Love my Macbook Pro, love my iPhone. Why anyone cares what I buy or use I have no idea.

I do think the company is suffering without Jobs unfortunately. The watch was weak, but maybe it'll grow into something better.

I'm excited to hear about Apple getting into electric cars, I want more bold moves like that.
    Eh, the watch is a foray into a new area that Apple never had a foot hold in. I think wearables will be a exploding market in the future but right now the technology isn't that great. Right now the wearable has to be light, but IMO under around $200 for it to make sense. I wear a fitbit Charge HR and like it, acknowledge its inaccuracies, but do appreciate what it does. If I were to get something more expensive I would want to make sure it was much much more accurate. I don't think the iWatch is there yet, and don't think it is worth the money, especially since it does little your iphone in your pocket doesn't do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I agree. If you're going to wrap it in an Otterbox does 1mm really advance anything?
    Or when you are going to add the new battery that doubles the thickness...

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

The Macbook Pro may be a great laptop, but you can get a far more powerful one for the same price if you get a PC. Apple makes quality products. They just charge you an arm and a leg for them compared to an absolutely equivalent counterpart that has the exact same stuff inside of it from another company, OS excluded.

The one thing that I do enjoy about my friends getting Apple products though: When they break, they no longer come to me and ask to have them fixed. They take them to the Apple store and have someone else do it.
    Longevity and security of Apple comps more than make up for the price difference.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Longevity and security of Apple comps more than make up for the price difference.
    If you spend the same price you paid for a Macbook on a PC, and not just go out and buy some $600 Best Buy special, it's going to last you a long time. And I think that's one of the problems that "PC" runs into. People try to compare the Apple products that cost $1200-2000 and talk about how great they are (and they are good machines, don't get me wrong) compared to their old PC that they paid $650 for at Best Buy. Uh, duh. Of course it's better. First off, it's probably three generations newer than your old computer and it's a much higher end one as well.

The laptop I'm on now is two years old. I spent $1300 on it. It's a heck of a machine. It really was a heck of a machine when I got it. My best friend just dropped $1600 on a new Macbook. Aside from it being lighter/thinner, this two year old laptop wipes the floor with his machine. It's faster in every aspect and it's really not all that close either.

Security - maybe that is an issue for some. I know that I keep Flash turned off on my browser, which is something most people don't do, so I understand the risks. But let's not pretend like Apple products aren't getting malware and such. They are. Certainly not at the same rates, but they are.

For me though, if you spend the money you are going to get way more bang for your buck by avoiding an Apple product. Apple doesn't make garbage like some "PC" companies do. But you aren't going to get a garbage PC for the Apple price.

14. Likes:

SultanOfSwing (12-10-2015)

I'm actually in the process of testing that. My employer has always provided me with MacBookPros over the years. My last one was amazing, functioning well for almost 7 years. But I needed one for personal use last year, so I spent a little more and got an ASUS. It's awesome so far. Just curious to see what the longevity will be while taking some of those cautious steps you mentioned.

Sidenote: I've never had a PC laptop last more than 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    Sidenote: I've never had a PC laptop last more than 3 years.
    My laptop before this one was used for 4 years. I still use it as a media streamer, which puts it at roughly 6 years of use now. I did do a complete hard drive format on it twice. Once was because I wound up with malware (still unsure where it came from, which is completely infuriating for someone like me) and instead of trying to fight with it and go through my registry and all of that terribleness, I just backed up what I needed and wiped it clean. The other time was when I bought this one and decided to just use the other one as a media streamer, I figured start over with a clean machine. I will be doing it one more time here soon when I upgrade it to Windows 10 (it's a Windows 7 machine).

I don't think Apple costs more than an equivalent PC anymore. A Dell XPS or a Lonova Yoga is just as good as a Macbook Air, and they cost just as much, too. Both reputations (Apple as overpriced, PC as junky) comes from the fact that Apple does high-end exclusively, whereas you can get a mid- or low-end PC. But whatever you go with, usually you get what you pay for.

Turn Off Ads?