Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: December 7th, 1941

Re: December 7th, 1941

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I graduated from college on this date in 1995. Probably a coincidence.
    I finished up my Master's on December 7. 2008, I think, but that might be wrong.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I had a chance to visit Pearl Harbor last summer when my wife and I vacationed in Hawaii. It's a very surreal, quiet atmosphere and it draws thousands of people every day. The one thing that struck me while out on the USS Arizona Memorial was the strong oil smell. The USS Arizona has been continually leaking oil since it sunk (and will continue to do so for several more decades apparently). In a way, my senses picking up on the strong oil smell made me feel even more connected to the event despite the fact that it was so long ago.

If you've ever wanted to visit the memorial and pay your respects, I would urge you to get out there and do so. It's a very powerful and somber place, but it's an important event in American history.
    What was your impression on the actual size of PH? I have heard from several people who have been there that it seemed smaller than what they imagined or appeared on tv.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My grandfather loved Mercedes but he absolutely despised the Japanese after that. He would never even consider a Japanese made car.
    I have always thought this was a very interesting dynamic of World War 2. There were two very different wars going on at the same time and those who fought in only one of them did/do not seem to think much of the other front, almost as if it did not exist.

My grandfather fought the Germans in Western Europe and never spoke of the Japanese front, although he didn't like to talk about the German front much at all.

I have heard he saw some really bad stuff. He drove a tank and was awarded the bronze medal. After he passed about 10 years ago, I asked my grandmother if I could see his uniform/medals/etc and she told me the moment he landed in New York City after the war he bought a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and immediately threw all of his medals and uniform away in the bathroom of the port. He wanted absolutely no reminders of the war.

He was a great man.

5. Likes:

Chip R (12-15-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I had a chance to visit Pearl Harbor last summer when my wife and I vacationed in Hawaii. It's a very surreal, quiet atmosphere and it draws thousands of people every day. The one thing that struck me while out on the USS Arizona Memorial was the strong oil smell. The USS Arizona has been continually leaking oil since it sunk (and will continue to do so for several more decades apparently). In a way, my senses picking up on the strong oil smell made me feel even more connected to the event despite the fact that it was so long ago.

If you've ever wanted to visit the memorial and pay your respects, I would urge you to get out there and do so. It's a very powerful and somber place, but it's an important event in American history.
    When I visited there, I had a very similar experience. The oil bubbles were a powerful reminder of that day. Hard to describe, but I had a very strong sense of *place*. Like, this isn't a history book. This is exactly where a history-altering event happened. I've had similar experiences at the doctor's office across from Ford's Theater where Lincoln died and the 9/11 site. Very powerful reminders of generation-defining events.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

7. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-21-2015)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    When I visited there, I had a very similar experience. The oil bubbles were a powerful reminder of that day. Hard to describe, but I had a very strong sense of *place*. Like, this isn't a history book. This is exactly where a history-altering event happened. I've had similar experiences at the doctor's office across from Ford's Theater where Lincoln died and the 9/11 site. Very powerful reminders of generation-defining events.
    I was out east working a few years back. Had the opportunity to stop by Gettysburg. I cant explain how I felt, but it was weird. In my mind I was hearing shots, young men dying, and Lincoln's address. This is where it happened.

Turn Off Ads?