Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Insurance question

Insurance question

So my daughter was in an accident yesterday. the driver hit her car, she sustained no damage. She's a minor.

The guy that hit her bullied her into showing her insurance card which he took a picture of. When she told him she called me, he said we'll let insurance deal with this and the police were not called. Now a claim has been filed against my insurance.

What are my options here?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Insurance question

If he thinks he can bully his way into your wallet, fight back. I doubt he wants to go to court. Give him the impression that, if he continues, it would go to court.

4. Likes:

TRF (12-11-2015)

I'm currently an auto liability adjuster.

First of all, for next time, always get a police report.

Second, he has a right to submit a claim. You'll want to call the insurance company and have your daughter give her side of the accident. They will probably complete a recorded interview with her.

In the end it will probably go to arbitration and a panel will determine fault.

You can submit a claim on his insurance too, btw

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    So my daughter was in an accident yesterday. the driver hit her car, she sustained no damage. She's a minor.

The guy that hit her bullied her into showing her insurance card which he took a picture of. When she told him she called me, he said we'll let insurance deal with this and the police were not called. Now a claim has been filed against my insurance.

What are my options here?
    Take pictures of the (lack of) damage, call your insurance company and ask them what they recommend.

IF you have his number I'd call him and tell him to NOT call your daughter again but to call you instead

7. Likes:

dougdirt (12-08-2015),KittyDuran (12-08-2015),redsmetz (12-11-2015),TRF (12-08-2015)

Thanks everyone.

Looks like my insurance company is not going to pay. His story was sketchy.

9. Likes:

Beltway (12-11-2015),REDREAD (12-18-2015)

Thanks everyone.

Would his story classify as insurance fraud?

They call me "chef"

One day, I will tell my future children the following advice:

In an accident, ALWAYS call the police and get a report. Even if the police officer who answers the phone says you don't need a police report or the officer who arrives says the damage is too little for a police report, DEMAND a police report. I don't know the law in every state but I believe any damage over a few hundred qualifies for a police report, and small dents can be that expensive, so pretty much any accident will qualify.

As a 20 year old, I didn't know the above advice and I was bamboozled by a woman who rear ended me and whose friend was following her in another car. She hits me, gives me a fake/old number and expired insurance card, while her friend acts like a stranger who saw the accident and was telling me a bunch of weird info that didn't make sense but worked well enough as a distraction/confusion tactic. The next day I called the number and a real angry dude cursed me out and told me to pass on some NSFW words to the woman who gave me the number. I called the insurance she gave me and they've never had anyone by her name as a customer. I lived and learned.

12. Likes:

Boss-Hog (12-11-2015),KittyDuran (12-13-2015),Razor Shines (12-11-2015)

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Thanks everyone.

Glad this worked out, but this is something I don't understand about the way car insurance works in America. Maybe Raisor can help.

My car was run into while parked. The responsible party stuck around, and gave me their insurance info, etc. We took pictures, etc. Got Police Report.

When I called MY insurance company, they said "you can file a claim with US, or you can file a claim with the other party's insurance co".

Why on earth should I file with the other party's insurance company? I'm not their client. They have NO interest in paying my claim quickly. Rationally, they should try to block my claim in any way possible.
    But if I go through MY insurance company (I'm told), it counts as a claim against my record and my rates will probably go up.
    Doesn't my company then get the money from the other company?
    Isn't that why I have them in the first place?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    When I called MY insurance company, they said "you can file a claim with US, or you can file a claim with the other party's insurance co".

Why on earth should I file with the other party's insurance company? I'm not their client. They have NO interest in paying my claim quickly. Rationally, they should try to block my claim in any way possible.
    But if I go through MY insurance company (I'm told), it counts as a claim against my record and my rates will probably go up.
    Fwiw, my company will only count it as a claim if they at the ones doing the paying. Sounds like you may want to shop your policy a bit.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Glad this worked out, but this is something I don't understand about the way car insurance works in America. Maybe Raisor can help.

My car was run into while parked. The responsible party stuck around, and gave me their insurance info, etc. We took pictures, etc. Got Police Report.

It depends.

If it's a clear cut liability you probably want to file against the other party. If you file on your policy you will be responsible for up fronting the deductible to the bodyshop.

There's lots of moving parts in a claim.

So, it turns out my insurance IS going to pay. Despite the fact the there is no damage to my daughter's car, apparently he got some. And though he rear ended her, it was determined, because he had a witness, that my kid changed lanes after turning, into his lane without seeing him so he swerved left (over a median that's about 2 inches in height) and tapped her bumper.

If you have ever seen a ford focus you'd know that rear end is entirely made of plastic. She didn't get a scratch.

ugh. born to lose.

Turn Off Ads?