Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rock & Roll HOF 2016 Inductees

Rock & Roll HOF 2016 Inductees

This is always a lively thread, but here are the 2016 inductees for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame: N.W.A., Cheap Trick, Deep Purple, The Steve Miller Band and Chicago. I've actually seen two of these acts; Chicago performed at XU when I was in high school and The Steve Miller Band, who I think played at Cincinnati Gardens (subbing in for Jethro Tull who cancelled their tour).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rock & Roll HOF 2016 Inductees

I'm going to speak in defense of Chicago, who essentially became a pop band of sorts. I bought their first album, the self titled Chicago Transit Authority in the fall of 1969. It was playing on the stereo in the record department of Shillito's Department Store in Kenwood Mall (now Macy's for you youngsters and the Mall is now Sycamore something-the-other across from Kenwood Towne Center - then known as Kenwood Plaza; yeah I'm old). Didn't know the band, liked the music, because I thought at first it sounded like Iron Butterfly (of In-A-Gada-Da-Vida fame). Saw it was a two record set (as all their albums were) and figured I couldn't afford it, but it was only like $2.75, about 50 cents more than a single album or thereabouts).

There are some poppy numbers on their (their first hit "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is), but there are some great rock songs on that album, including a fabulous cover of Steve Winwood's "I'm a Man" and Terry Kath's guitar playing is just phenomenal. There's even a performance piece on it that is one of those cuts you only listen to once and then never come back to, sort of like The Beatles cut on the White Album titled "Revolution No. 9". I honestly consider this one of the best rock albums ever. And they were on the vanguard of a jazz rock fusion that was beginning (started by Blood Sweat & Tears).

Here's the album

https://youtu.be/DTcEPw0ZRtE
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

4. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-17-2015)

Loved Chicago before they went pop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

6. Likes:

redsmetz (12-17-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    For some reason an image of Mr. Creosote popped (sorry) into my head.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

8. Likes:

redsmetz (12-26-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I bought their first album, the self titled Chicago Transit Authority in the fall of 1969.
    Man, are we old! LOL

Does Anybody Really Know What Time it Is?

Other songs I loved ..... 25 Or 6 to 4 .... Saturday In The Park ... If You Leave Me Now ..... Feelin' Stronger Every Day

That's as much as this old mind can bring up right now (LOL). But all good stuff.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

10. Likes:

redsmetz (12-23-2015)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I can respect that.

I also can respect that they can't make the music they made in 1969 in 1981. They worked with David Foster. They sounded oh so romantic. It drove the band apart. Some of them felt like you do.

But as Ace Frehley says about "Beth," it bought them a lot of stuff.

I don't mind when people make music palatable and sweet and gooey for the ears. It doesn't make me think less of them.

I'm guessing "Smells Like Teen Spirit" would have sounded more like The Melvins if Cobain hadn't wanted to bring it to the masses.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-23-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Man, are we old! LOL

Does Anybody Really Know What Time it Is?

Other songs I loved ..... 25 Or 6 to 4 .... Saturday In The Park ... If You Leave Me Now ..... Feelin' Stronger Every Day

That's as much as this old mind can bring up right now (LOL). But all good stuff.
    Their catalog from a quantity standpoint is stacked with great music. They are often overlooked in "greatest of all time" conversations, but they are one of Billboard's top charting acts. They've got to be top 15 or 20 now (they were top 10 back in the early 90's, I imagine some acts have pushed them out.)

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (12-23-2015)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Now that the cultural phenomenon of nwa had been honored with its own movie, I hope none of these bands get in.

A lot of musical mediocrity in that list imho. Bah humbug.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Now that the cultural phenomenon of nwa had been honored with its own movie, I hope none of these bands get in.

A lot of musical mediocrity in that list imho. Bah humbug.
    Cheap Trick is everything but mediocre

17. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (01-14-2016),marcshoe (12-26-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    They are loved by a lot of musicians. That says a ton.

19. Likes:

marcshoe (12-27-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    They are loved by a lot of musicians. That says a ton.
    I remember hearing Alice Cooper say that Cheap Trick was a band that other musicians pay to see. Not having musical talent myself, I don't always recognize it as I would like, but people who have talent have been known to say very good things about Cheap Trick. Without this reputation, I'm not sure they would have made it in, as the HOF hasn't always honored musicians with a sense of humor, with the exceptions being giants like Dylan, the Beatles, and the Stones.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    . Of the nominees, they are my favorite. I like the song surrender. But they also put out "The Flame" which to me is the equivalent of Joe Jackson throwing the world series
    Stick to your guns.

. Of the nominees, they are my favorite. I like the song surrender. But they also put out "The Flame" which to me is the equivalent of Joe Jackson throwing the world series
    I found "Stepping Out" irritating, but I would have never referred to it as throwing--oh, wait. I get it.

23. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (01-14-2016),cincinnati chili (12-27-2015),Revering4Blue (12-31-2015),westofyou (12-27-2015)

Cheap Trick probably has a love/hate relationship with "The Flame," but they aren't giving back the money, so...

The Flame is a great song, one of the better ballads of the era. It isn't Cheap Trick, per se, but that song has held up well.

They had the look for MTV at the time, if you think about it. They just needed a song.

Epic got some outside writers, and voila, a #1 hit.

I want to say they arranged it, which hats off to them it's well done. I always thought they pulled it off- it wasn't Lionel Richie.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 12-27-2015 at 08:24 PM.

Every band has some crap, ELO has a trunk full of it, doesn't mean they aren't the diggity.

I like the Flame it's a classic power ballad, stuffed with cheese and served on a platter of schmaltz

Turn Off Ads?