Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2015 [continued]

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: Ohio State Football 2015 [continued]

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    IF they can find a QB. I think Mich will have a hard time duplicating 2015 success in 2016. Tougher schedule, higher expectations etc
    Yeah, my Michigan friends are already complaining about their schedule in the B1G. If I remember right they drew Wisconsin and Iowa from the west.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Yeah, my Michigan friends are already complaining about their schedule in the B1G. If I remember right they drew Wisconsin and Iowa from the west.
    And they also get MSU and OSU on the road if memory serves...

And they also get MSU and OSU on the road if memory serves...
    Yes, and I do believe the Iowa game is on the road as well.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Meyer noted today that they staff had been recruiting with the notion that six would leave early, 9 have. That gives them a few more to target for this round if they want them.

Meyer stated Elflein, Barrett and McMillan have already been named captains for 2016. (likely to add more in the fall)

Anonymous player poll at the at the US Army All American game.

Favorite College Stadium:
    8 votes: Michigan, Ohio State
    7: Tennessee
    6: Alabama, Texas A&M
    5: LSU, Notre Dame
    4: Georgia
    3: Clemson, Florida State, Michigan State, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Penn State, UCLA
    2: BYU, Florida, Oregon, USC, Washington
    1: Auburn, Baylor, Kentucky, Minnesota, Utah, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, TCU, Virginia Tech, Wisconsin

Best Game-day Atmosphere:
    10 votes: Ohio State
    9: Alabama
    6: Clemson, Texas A&M
    5: LSU
    4: Florida, Florida State, Michigan, Michigan State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Penn State
    3: Auburn, Georgia, Oklahoma, Tennessee
    2: Miami, Oregon, TCU, UCLA, USC, Wisconsin
    1: Baylor, BYU, Kentucky, Utah, South Carolina, Stanford, Utah, Washington

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-07-2016),HeatherC1212 (01-07-2016),Redsfaithful (01-09-2016),villain612 (01-07-2016)

Am I wrong in thinking that JT Barrett will stay the full 5 years? I guess it depends on how next year goes, but he's not an NFL style QB. I don't see him getting much draft hype. If stuck around for his senior year, the Bucks will be a team to beat in '17.
    Quote Originally Posted by fipp View Post
    How old are you? Do you want to be humiliated?

Quote Originally Posted by villain612 View Post
    Am I wrong in thinking that JT Barrett will stay the full 5 years? I guess it depends on how next year goes, but he's not an NFL style QB. I don't see him getting much draft hype. If stuck around for his senior year, the Bucks will be a team to beat in '17.
    He'll be around for 2 more years. He might catch on as an NFL back up in the right place because he is smart, but he isn't an NFL QB.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    He'll be around for 2 more years. He might catch on as an NFL back up in the right place because he is smart, but he isn't an NFL QB.
    Or he changes position at the next level.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    You may well be correct, but given the way the game has changed, it begs the question:

What really constitutes an "NFL-style" QB today?

Spread elements are apparent everywhere, even in the NFL. I'll argue that Stanford and Michigan- more often than not - line up in formations consistant with the traditional NFL style than 90 per cent of NFL teams today. Given that, I'm not about discount Barrett's future prospects an an NFL QB.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

11. Likes:

Assembly Hall (01-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    You may well be correct, but given the way the game has changed, it begs the question:

Spread elements are apparent everywhere, even in the NFL. I'll argue that Stanford and Michigan- more often than not - line up in formations consistant with the traditional NFL style than 90 per cent of NFL teams today. Given that, I'm not about discount Barrett's future prospects an an NFL QB.
    You still have to be a throw first QB. JT is pretty good about making reads in the run game, but less so passing. He has below average arm strength and would need to be more accurate than he is now. He would need to improve a lot to overcome the physical limitations he has and I'm not sure that's possible. Still love the guy though and he will have a strong chance at winning the Heisman in 2017.

13. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-07-2016)

Good question.....I wonder what Russell Wilson, Jameis Winston, and Cam Newton's replies to that would be?

Where does everyone think 'Zeke will go in the draft?

Man I'd love to see the Browns get him. We need that style of back in our offense (just one more needed piece)... but I'd hate to put that kinda "curse" on any young player (LOL)
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

The spread is not necessarily about formation -- NFL teams have been extremely multiple for decades now -- as about what its fundamental elements are. The college version of the spread usually incorporates the QB as a running threat (zone read) and often packaged-play concepts that give the QB a run/pass option based on simple reads of the defensive alignment. A fast tempo is often incorporated as well; by forcing the defense to hurry up to just get lined up, in theory it minimizes how fancy the defense can get, making the key reads easier. And then there's the Baylor favorite, "send four guys with track speed deep and key on the one covered by the weakest defender."

In the NFL, though, the key skill remains the ability to execute a more complicated version of the passing game. Running ability is nice but most QB runs are off-script scrambles, not called plays. It's icing, not the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Good question.....I wonder what Russell Wilson, Jameis Winston, and Cam Newton's replies to that would be?
    I didn't watch a lot of Wilson in college, but Newton and Winston weren't really similar players. Newton is a terrific athlete who thrived as a pass/run dual threat in college, and the draft questions were about his ability to adapt to pro-style passing. Winston's always been a pocket passer who's been as NFL-style, both in skill set and schooling, as any QB coming out of college in recent years. Mariota is a better comparison for Newton in terms of the type of college system they played in and being a dangerous runner. Obviously, playing in a spread offense in college has not prevented either from being good pro quarterbacks.
    Last edited by IslandRed; 01-08-2016 at 12:42 PM.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-08-2016),dubc47834 (01-12-2016),Revering4Blue (01-09-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    The spread is not necessarily about formation -- NFL teams have been extremely multiple for decades now -- as about what its fundamental elements are. The college version of the spread usually incorporates the QB as a running threat (zone read) and often packaged-play concepts that give the QB a run/pass option based on simple reads of the defensive alignment. A fast tempo is often incorporated as well; by forcing the defense to hurry up to just get lined up, in theory it minimizes how fancy the defense can get, making the key reads easier. And then there's the Baylor favorite, "send four guys with track speed deep and key on the one covered by the weakest defender."

In the NFL, though, the key skill remains the ability to execute a more complicated version of the passing game. Running ability is nice but most QB runs are off-script scrambles, not called plays. It's icing, not the cake.

I didn't watch a lot of Wilson in college, but Newton and Winston weren't really similar players. Newton is a terrific athlete who thrived as a pass/run dual threat in college, and the draft questions were about his ability to adapt to pro-style passing. Winston's always been a pocket passer who's been as NFL-style, both in skill set and schooling, as any QB coming out of college in recent years. Mariota is a better comparison for Newton in terms of the type of college system they played in and being a dangerous runner. Obviously, playing in a spread offense in college has not prevented either from being good pro quarterbacks.
    The jury's still out on Mariota being a good pro QB. The issue for these guys is can they stay healthy? Wilson is an exception due to his intellect but I'm of the belief that these scrambling QBs can't stay healthy unless they've got size like Newton (Kaepernick). The smaller guys like Vick, RG3 and Mariota will tend to spend a lot of time on the sidelines nursing injuries

19. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-09-2016)

The jury's still out on Mariota being a good pro QB. The issue for these guys is can they stay healthy? Wilson is an exception due to his intellect but I'm of the belief that these scrambling QBs can't stay healthy unless they've got size like Newton (Kaepernick). The smaller guys like Vick, RG3 and Mariota will tend to spend a lot of time on the sidelines nursing injuries
    To be fair it is a struggle for any QB to stay healthy for 16 games, but scrambling QBs certainly have to be smart about when to get hit.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

The jury's still out on Mariota being a good pro QB.
    I guess, but given how he played this year relative to the adjustments he had to make, I liked what I saw.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

22. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-12-2016)

Turn Off Ads?