Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pizza Debate - Crust, Sauce, Cheese or Toppings?

Re: Pizza Debate - Crust, Sauce, Cheese or Toppings?

I was reared in Dayton....the stuff we call pizza is different. Different kinds of things called pizza don't bother me, most of them are good.

I'm not convinced that saving money this year is a goal for the long term health of the franchise.
    I don't mind trading for value. I'm not sold that the Frazier deal was a worthwhile return, but it certainly was a tipping point for the franchise. Anything that they can sell that will make them better in 2017 should be sold. Giving playing time to oldsters to boost next year's win total is a bad path to go down.

This franchise has never been afraid to burn itself to the ground and attempt to retool. It's just never been really successful at the retool part.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's crust. Having relocated to the east coast I've learned that is what differentiates pizza varieties. Cheese is a close second.
    "When I began playing the game, baseball was about as gentlemanly as a kick in the crotch." - Ty Cobb

4. Likes:

M2 (12-21-2015)

New York style pizza >>>> Chicago style pizza, or more accurately Chicago style cassarole.

6. Likes:

RFS62 (12-22-2015)

nah, I like it all. East coast, the thinner and saucier the better. Chicago style (old school Unos or even through some marinara on top, I don't mind). Or west coast with avocado feta and all that jazz. Bottom line is you can't go wrong, as long as you trade Phillips and Chapman before the deadline next summer.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Best pizza I ever heard was at a place called Donna Stella's on Dee Why Beach in Sydney back in 81 and 82. Hand-tossed crust, delicious toppings, everything worked. First place I ever got ham and pineapple pizza, and I've never had another as good. I understand the place is gone now, but hey, it's been 35 years.

I'm old.

edit: a quick google tells me there is still a place by that name in Amalfi, near Pompeii. I need to go to Italy. Now.
    Last edited by marcshoe; 12-21-2015 at 05:09 PM.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I'm told the best pizza anywhere is found in Buffalo, though I've never been there to confirm it.

As for pizza, I've become a fan of making it on the grill. We've got a local bakery that makes a quality dough. Shape it out, grill it on both sides and it's as good as anything I've ever gotten from a wood-fired oven.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

dougdirt (12-21-2015),Roy Tucker (12-21-2015)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm told the best pizza anywhere is found in Buffalo, though I've never been there to confirm it.

As for pizza, I've become a fan of making it on the grill. We've got a local bakery that makes a quality dough. Shape it out, grill it on both sides and it's as good as anything I've ever gotten from a wood-fired oven.
    For years now I've been wanting to make my own brick oven in the yard for pizzas, but not owning my own home has kept me from doing so. I've looked at making something portable though. I really love a good, fired pizza.

12. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (12-25-2015),pahster (12-21-2015)

I once had corn and beans on a pizza. It wasn't as good as it sounds.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    For years now I've been wanting to make my own brick oven in the yard for pizzas, but not owning my own home has kept me from doing so. I've looked at making something portable though. I really love a good, fired pizza.
    A grill totally does the trick. Brush olive oil on one side, grill it up crisp, brush oil on the other side while it's grilling, flip it over, cheese-sauce-toppings on the cooked side (I actually pull it off the grill to do that), cheese will melt while the other side gets crisp (provided you've got a lid for the grill).

I use a gas grill, set on high, iron grate - but I bet it would be divine with a charcoal/wood set up too.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

15. Likes:

Roy Tucker (12-21-2015)

They call me "chef"

There's still a chance that Phillips waves his no-trade clause. We just have to wait and see.

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (12-21-2015)

I'm having Little Caesers crazy bread for dinner tonight and I don't care who knows it.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Sauce > cheese > toppings > crust I generally prefer thin crust pizza. Occasionally, I will be in the mood for deep dish esp when visiting Chicago. I find that leftover thick crust doesn't keep well either.
    Stick to your guns.

20. Likes:

Newport Red (12-22-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    A grill totally does the trick. Brush olive oil on one side, grill it up crisp, brush oil on the other side while it's grilling, flip it over, cheese-sauce-toppings on the cooked side (I actually pull it off the grill to do that), cheese will melt while the other side gets crisp (provided you've got a lid for the grill).

I use a gas grill, set on high, iron grate - but I bet it would be divine with a charcoal/wood set up too.
    Summertime margerhita pizza on the grill. Homemade mozzarella, fresh picked Roma tomatoes, and just picked basil. Yum.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

22. Likes:

M2 (12-21-2015),RFS62 (12-22-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I'm having Little Caesers crazy bread for dinner tonight and I don't care who knows it.
    Well that certainly explains alot about you.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

24. Likes:

KronoRed (11-05-2023),pahster (12-21-2015)

I always liked the Chef Boyardee pizza mix growing up. Loved the sauce and the crust.

26. Likes:

marcshoe (12-21-2015),Roy Tucker (12-21-2015)

Turn Off Ads?