Thread: 2015 Bengals Season Part 3

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: 2015 Bengals Season Part 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    In the Lewis-Dalton era:
    2015 (through 14 games): 11-3
    2014: 9-4-1
    2013: 9-5
    2012: 8-6 (won 7 of final 8 to make playoffs)
    2011: 8-6

No, but Lewis has improved each year from 2011 to this year.
    I don't think we are all as far apart as we seem to be.

I don't like Lewis against good football teams. I think his penchant for bad decisions with the clock and gameplay bring us closer to the spread.

I think this team has some of the best talent in the league, I wish they had a staff that could work on the issues I described.

I actually don't have a sinking feeling for tonight. They stand a shot.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Again- they haven't won a playoff game in the Lewis era.

I realize you are thrilled to pull out of the Shula years...I'm wanting more.
    You're the one that mentioned Shula. I'm just talking about this year right now

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You're the one that mentioned Shula. I'm just talking about this year right now
    I think you're just happy they don't suck.

I'm happy with 11-3, winning the division outright over the Steelers. That's all I can evaluate at this point

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Are you a Bengals fan?

Marvin Lewis is 65-44-1 since 2009 with five playoff appearances in six years...about to to be six in seven years, and there are really people saying he can't gameplan? Seriously, the facts contradict that loose assertion. In the NFL, a league where the talent level is arguably as tight across the board as any other sport and point spreads rarely are more than a touchdown apart, that sort of record speaks for itself.

Nevermind that the actual "gameplanning" is mostly up to the coordinators. To whatever influence Lewis has on gameplanning, the numbers suggest he's done a mighty fine job of it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

8. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-28-2015),bucksfan2 (12-28-2015),HeatherC1212 (12-28-2015),jimbo (12-28-2015)

Zero playoff wins, lower seedlings than they could have had...

And some people say they are just fine.

I'm happy, not thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Are you a Bengals fan?

Can a fan take an honest look at his team?

Should all the Reds fans look at that Todd Frazier trade and pipe down because the Reds have been to the playoffs recently?

Should we all thank our stars for Dusty Baker? Or did his team's do well in spite of him because of the talent?

Look- there is a tendency to settle for good enough. I don't possess that tendency.

Can a fan take an honest look at his team?

Should all the Reds fans look at that Todd Frazier trade and pipe down because the Reds have been to the playoffs recently?

Should we all thank our stars for Dusty Baker? Or did his team's do well in spite of him because of the talent?

Look- there is a tendency to settle for good enough. I don't possess that tendency.
    So is your answer yes or no?

So is your answer yes or no?
    Did you ask a question?

Did you ask a question?
    Assembly Hall did.

Are you a Bengal fan?

Assembly Hall did.

Are you a Bengal fan?
    Of course, and when I said "Can a fan take an honest look at his team?" I would think you could get that I was talking about myself...

Zero playoff wins, lower seedlings than they could have had...

And some people say they are just fine.

I'm happy, not thrilled.
    It sounds like whenever you make an assertion that is diminished or outright contradicted by facts, you just fall back on zero playoff wins as if that somehow mitigates every other argument. In this case, you try to make the case Lewis sucks at gameplanning, a fact the 65-44-1 record in the last seven seasons would dispute, and you go right back to "zero playoff wins" as if that's supposed to somehow trump those other 110 games.

You've become a broken record with this 'zero playoff wins' things. It's like we're all supposed to be miserable like you are because despite all this success, the lack of playoff wins is the only thing that matters in every discussion and in everyone's viewing habits.

On a final note: you say you're "happy, not thrilled" with the winning. I'm sorry but I haven't seen a bit of happiness from you. When they were undefeated, you were criticizing everyone for being happy because they had not "beaten anyone" (a fact that we later found to be untrue as we now know the Raiders, Seahawks, Chiefs victories were solid). You haven't shown hardly any enjoyment all year. Some of us do enjoy 11-3 seasons. They're fun to watch. Even if it doesn't manifest itself in a postseason victory, I'm not going to thumb my nose at the season as a whole. We actually are happy with it, I think most of us. I haven't seen much happiness from you. You're grumpy about everything... schedule strength, playcalling, etc. You act like you're trying to make everyone else here as miserable as you are about the Bengals.
    Last edited by Brutus; 12-28-2015 at 03:26 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

16. Likes:

Assembly Hall (12-28-2015),bucksfan2 (12-28-2015),Danny Serafini (12-28-2015),HeatherC1212 (12-28-2015),jimbo (12-28-2015),Sea Ray (12-28-2015)

Of course, and when I said "Can a fan take an honest look at his team?" I would think you could get that I was talking about myself...
    When you answer a question with a question, you haven't answered anything.

You don't come across as a fan

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

The best way to put it is: do I believe that the goal for the Bengals is to win the highest championship in their sport? Yes, absolutely! Is that an incredibly difficult thing to do in any given year? Yes, absolutely! That's the difference between this team now and the teams prior to Lewis-Palmer and Lewis-Dalton eras: those previous teams between 1990 and 2002 weren't constructed to win a championship; they were constructed to make Mike Brown as much profit as possible. I find this group, regardless of their final success this year, to be much more entertaining.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Turn Off Ads?