Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2015-2016

Ohio State Men's Basketball 2015-2016

With the win over UK Saturday and a 20 point win over Mercer last night, let's start a thread.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ohio State Men's Basketball 2015-2016

I don't expect much, but the win over Kentucky kind of made the season. Whatever else they achieve is gravy now.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

4. Likes:

goreds2 (12-26-2015)

They will win out for sure.

Honestly if they qualify for the NIT that would be pretty good. It will be interesting to see how Mitchell integrates to the team, but they have too many good teams on the schedule to make any noise.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Why do I hear crickets? LOL I jest my friends. The Bucks are a team that I will be keeping a close eye on this year.

Calipari has freshman and Kentucky is the only team in America to play freshman. Ask him and he'll tell you. Nevermind that the 3rd youngest team in the country just beat you. Face it Calipari can only win when he has true NBA all star talent and even then he usually cant get the job done. Hes just not a good in game coach. Can recruit like no other but cant coach a lick. Kentucky fans will lose patience pretty quick if he doesn't bring home a championship next few years. People in Columbus already questioning Urban Meyer after he just won a national championship. Just what happens in big time programs.

Quote Originally Posted by jhowdy54 View Post
    Calipari has freshman and Kentucky is the only team in America to play freshman. Ask him and he'll tell you. Nevermind that the 3rd youngest team in the country just beat you. Face it Calipari can only win when he has true NBA all star talent and even then he usually cant get the job done. Hes just not a good in game coach. Can recruit like no other but cant coach a lick. Kentucky fans will lose patience pretty quick if he doesn't bring home a championship next few years. People in Columbus already questioning Urban Meyer after he just won a national championship. Just what happens in big time programs.
    From where I sit, Cal is getting the job done.

But expanding on what I posted above about the Bucks. Most projections I saw pre-season had them finishing 8th or lower in the B1G. I figure if they go 10-8 or better yet 11-7 they will be in the dance.

It was fun to watch the UK game, but this is still a team with a lot of holes that aren't just youth related. There still is no three point sharp shooter, Lyle turns the ball over too much and is slow of foot, and their best post player is 6'5". The bench is not bad, not much drop off from the starters, but then is that a good thing? But really, there is no top tier talent currently on the roster and has not been since the Sullinger, Craft, Thomas class. They just don't have enough basketball players on the team.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    It was fun to watch the UK game, but this is still a team with a lot of holes that aren't just youth related. There still is no three point sharp shooter, Lyle turns the ball over too much and is slow of foot, and their best post player is 6'5". The bench is not bad, not much drop off from the starters, but then is that a good thing? But really, there is no top tier talent currently on the roster and has not been since the Sullinger, Craft, Thomas class. They just don't have enough basketball players on the team.
    Interesting observation.

BTW, what do they got on the way for next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Interesting observation.

BTW, what do they got on the way for next year?
    I am not sure. I do not follow at that level.

I am not sure. I do not follow at that level.
    Well a couple of bigs so far....

http://espn.go.com/colleges/basketba...194/class/2016

They are young, getting better as the season goes along. They played a monster of a schedule this season and a few games where they just couldn't get over the hump. They have developed so far this season, a few early season games they lost will be killer, but in the end I think they will be paying like one of the best 32 teams in the country. Whether or not their resume warrants a bid is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    They are young, getting better as the season goes along. They played a monster of a schedule this season and a few games where they just couldn't get over the hump. They have developed so far this season, a few early season games they lost will be killer, but in the end I think they will be paying like one of the best 32 teams in the country. Whether or not their resume warrants a bid is another story.
    Check with Purdue and IU from last year.

I think the Kentucky win is coloring your view. They barely beat Northern Illinois the game right before that. They are better than they were when they lost to the two nobodys, I'll concede that. But they do not have any consistent outside presence, and that is going to make it a long conference season, I'm afraid. They desperately need shooters, for what, since Diebler graduated. Why he is unable or unwilling to recruit shooting guards is mysterious.

I think the Kentucky win is coloring your view. They barely beat Northern Illinois the game right before that. They are better than they were when they lost to the two nobodys, I'll concede that. But they do not have any consistent outside presence, and that is going to make it a long conference season, I'm afraid. They desperately need shooters, for what, since Diebler graduated. Why he is unable or unwilling to recruit shooting guards is mysterious.
    Not really, I have seen them play quite a bit this season. They beat UK, played well against Virginia, and have had some pretty tough losses a team like UConn. This season Thad really loaded up on their schedule, and replacing pretty much 5 starters was a tough task. I am impressed with Giddens and Thompson in the post, they are raw, but that was to be expected. Giddens has made more hustle plays in one year than Amir Williams did in 4 (being a little facetious here.) Lyle turns the ball over too much, their outside shooting can be spotty at times, but the talent is there. Talented guys like Bates-Diop who will grow as the season goes along. They have lost a few games they shouldn't have, but they have played a pretty monster of a schedule so far.

It wouldn't surprise me if they lost a couple of games they shouldn't down the stretch but also rose up and beat a few teams you didn't see coming.

Not really, I have seen them play quite a bit this season. They beat UK, played well against Virginia, and have had some pretty tough losses a team like UConn. This season Thad really loaded up on their schedule, and replacing pretty much 5 starters was a tough task. I am impressed with Giddens and Thompson in the post, they are raw, but that was to be expected. Giddens has made more hustle plays in one year than Amir Williams did in 4 (being a little facetious here.) Lyle turns the ball over too much, their outside shooting can be spotty at times, but the talent is there. Talented guys like Bates-Diop who will grow as the season goes along. They have lost a few games they shouldn't have, but they have played a pretty monster of a schedule so far.

It wouldn't surprise me if they lost a couple of games they shouldn't down the stretch but also rose up and beat a few teams you didn't see coming.
    They desperately need two shooting guards, one to start and one to come in off the bench. Until that arrives, this team is flawed. And that has been the story since Diebler and Buford left. They get a shooting guard out there on the floor, and this is a top 10 team again. But right now, they have two more big guys coming in. Not sure what the method to the madness is at this point, its as if Thad has adopted a fetish for trying to win with recruits from the Island of Misfit Toys.

Turn Off Ads?