Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Making a Murderer

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Making a Murderer

Appellate Courts sit as panels. Usually three judge panels, sometimes larger depending on circumstances. I don't like any situation where an unelected judge overturns the ruling of an elected judge or a jury of citizens, but at least a panel of judges insulates the process from the political whims or beliefs of a single individual.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 08-14-2016 at 10:44 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Likes:

marcshoe (08-15-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I will take this a step further. Dassey's first council, should spend time in jail for his part in the trial. I understand there are good lawyers and there are bad lawyers, but incompetent lawyers I have no time for. Dassey's conviction was a direct result in incompetent council, it was at the hand of an interrogator that Dassey's own council hired. Any time there that type of questioning, any attorney would not have allowed Dassey to incriminate himself, he would not have paid someone to get a confession out of Dassey, a good attorney would have gotten Dassey ruled to be mentally disabled and unfit to be tried in the nature he was.

IIRC one of the grounds for appeal is unfit council, which his first attorney was, and the only reason Dassey was in jail was because his family was poor. Secondly, Dassey spent 10 years in jail, 10, he went from a high school kid who only cared about getting home to watch the WWE, to a guy who spent his youth in jail. His attorney was directly responsible for the loss of those 10 years. That attorney should have some consequences, watching the taped video confession will make your skin crawl, especially when you consider that was a kid who was having his youth taken away because of an idiot lawyer.

IMO we need to change something in our criminal justice system. We need to stop putting feathers in our cap for the number of convictions we get, and start looking at the number of guilty people sent to jail and the number of innocent people we do not try. Getting a conviction of an innocent person is one of the worst things our society does.

5. Likes:

Rojo (08-18-2016)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I will take this a step further. Dassey's first council, should spend time in jail for his part in the trial. I understand there are good lawyers and there are bad lawyers, but incompetent lawyers I have no time for. Dassey's conviction was a direct result in incompetent council, it was at the hand of an interrogator that Dassey's own council hired. Any time there that type of questioning, any attorney would not have allowed Dassey to incriminate himself, he would not have paid someone to get a confession out of Dassey, a good attorney would have gotten Dassey ruled to be mentally disabled and unfit to be tried in the nature he was.

IIRC one of the grounds for appeal is unfit council, which his first attorney was, and the only reason Dassey was in jail was because his family was poor. Secondly, Dassey spent 10 years in jail, 10, he went from a high school kid who only cared about getting home to watch the WWE, to a guy who spent his youth in jail. His attorney was directly responsible for the loss of those 10 years. That attorney should have some consequences, watching the taped video confession will make your skin crawl, especially when you consider that was a kid who was having his youth taken away because of an idiot lawyer.

IMO we need to change something in our criminal justice system. We need to stop putting feathers in our cap for the number of convictions we get, and start looking at the number of guilty people sent to jail and the number of innocent people we do not try. Getting a conviction of an innocent person is one of the worst things our society does.
    Convictions are the number of guilty people. Ask the lawyers.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/17/us/mak...ase/index.html

(CNN)A federal appeals court Thursday blocked the release of Brendan Dassey, the teen whose confession became a subplot in Netflix's "Making a Murderer."
    The ruling represents a win for Wisconsin Attorney General Brad Schimel, who had fought the release.

Now 27, Dassey was set to be freed under the supervision of the US Probation Office, but Schimel filed a motion Tuesday seeking a stay of US Magistrate Judge William Duffin's decision to release Dassey pending the appeal of his 2007 murder conviction.

Say what you will about Steven Avery, but Brendan Dassey did not / does not belong in jail. He's clearly got a low IQ and was coerced into confessing by less than ethical detectives and even his own legal counsel.

Talk about a total screw job. And the state of Wisconsin is doing their absolute best to make sure their egregious error is not undone.
    Last edited by The Operator; 11-17-2016 at 10:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

8. Likes:

bucksfan2 (11-18-2016),Dom Heffner (11-17-2016),Razor Shines (11-18-2016)

So no one has watched Part II yet? Man, if only Avery had the resources Zellner has, he'd be a free man. I still think Hillegas is the killer and have thought so from the GET GO.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    So no one has watched Part II yet? Man, if only Avery had the resources Zellner has, he'd be a free man. I still think Hillegas is the killer and have thought so from the GET GO.
    SPOILER

Zellner pretty much backs away from Hillegas in favor of Brendan's stepdad and brother, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    SPOILER

Zellner pretty much backs away from Hillegas in favor of Brendan's stepdad and brother, no?
    I saw that, but I still think he was involved in some way.

Turn Off Ads?