Turn Off Ads?
Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 LastLast

Thread: Cincinnati Bengals-Pittsburgh Steelers 2016 Playoff Thread

Re: Cincinnati Bengals-Pittsburgh Steelers 2016 Playoff Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    Why wasn't he drafted?

His brain doesn't work.
    Okay. Noted. But to call the team "criminally insane" is either uninformed or just good old fashioned trolling.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Actually, the Bengals fan brand took a huge hit with this post.
    haha glad I have so much sway on the Bengals fan brand, whatever that's supposed to be.

Why wasn't he drafted?

His brain doesn't work.
    Teams would be lining up at the door to sign Burfict if the Bengals released him.

The refs seemed to be giving the Bengals the choice of two narratives Saturday night:
    a) Rise above the typical Steeler dirtiness and limp into New England minus Bernard of course.
    or
    b) Lose your cool and dish it back in spades.

After Hill fumbled the ball, Burfict and Jones clearly chose "b." Which is fine with me I guess. At that point, they either play soft while Ben dinks and dunks down to kick the winning FG, or they headhunt and send a very direct message to the Steelers and to the refs, and the NFL for that matter:

Bring that typical Steeler dirty play, and refs feel free to call a one-sided game, that's fine. But there will be consequences. There is no more paper tiger. Lead with the helmet, knock our player out, and then no call? Fine, but payback is a mother though... have fun limping into Denver.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 01-11-2016 at 10:57 AM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Ummmm, no it's not. The reality is that suddenly Bengals fans in this thread are evoking "letter of the law" arguments concerning a hit that NEVER gets flagged given the type of play that it was.
    Pay attention, Sven. The entire discussion for about 15 pages has been equal enforcement of penalties (or lack thereof). Hitting with the crown of the helmet is a penalty. Period. End of story. The fact that it doesn't get called, but should, is the argument.

6. Likes:

Redsfaithful (01-11-2016),RiverRat13 (01-11-2016),WMR (01-11-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I'm glad Marvin Lewis is staying.

Nobody is calling for Tomlin to be fired, even though his players were completely out of control, including two coaches, including apparently giving a game ball to Porter.

A lot of Cincinnati sports fans crave national approval, so they're quick to call Burfict dirty, call for Marvin to be fired, etc. I'm not playing into that. That was a massive screw job and the Bengals shouldn't apologize when they were wronged.

The only thing a Bengal did wrong last night was Jeremy Hill fumbling, and Adam Jones should have kept his composure, even though Porter shouldn't have been on the field.

Looking forward to Landry Jones playing Peyton Manning with Antonio Brown sitting on the sideline.
    You really don't think Burfict's was dirty? At all?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Teams would be lining up at the door to sign Burfict if the Bengals released him.

The refs seemed to be giving the Bengals the choice of two narratives Saturday night:
    a) Rise above the typical Steeler dirtiness and limp into New England minus Bernard of course.
    or
    b) Lose your cool and dish it back in spades.

After Hill fumbled the ball, Burfict and Jones clearly chose "b." Which is fine with me I guess. At that point, they either play soft while Ben dinks and dunks down to kick the winning FG, or they headhunt and send a very direct message to the Steelers and to the refs, and the NFL for that matter:

Bring that typical Steeler dirty play, and refs feel free to call a one-sided game, that's fine. But there will be consequences. There is no more paper tiger. Lead with the helmet, knock our player out, and then no call? Fine, but payback is a mother though... have fun limping into Denver.
    The problem is Ben was not dinking and dunking down the field. The pass to Brown was terrible and the Steelers were nearly out of time.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Pay attention, Sven. The entire discussion for about 15 pages has been equal enforcement of penalties (or lack thereof). Hitting with the crown of the helmet is a penalty. Period. End of story. The fact that it doesn't get called, but should, is the argument.
    Sorry I can't allow you to speak about this as it hurts the Bengal Brand...
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

10. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (01-11-2016)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Then Bengals built their identity around the criminally insane. And WHADDAYA KNOW, they melt down like idiots under the pressure. It isn't a conspiracy.
    Our white quarterback didn't rape anyone. Or two.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Okay. Noted. But to call the team "criminally insane" is either uninformed or just good old fashioned trolling.
    Is everyone who doesn't agree with you a troll?
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    You really don't think Burfict's was dirty? At all?!?
    If you don't call it both ways, what are we arguing about?

Again- you want the storyline. The gritty, tough tackling Steelers win!

Everyone else shut up and stop making excuses about the refs calling it one way but not another way.

They pulled someone's hair, dude.

Pulled their hair-

Their coach steps on the field of play. In years past and Sunday.

That's the sign of an organization that will do anything to win. <<<<<<Narrative

Bengals? Shut up and take your medicine, the NFL wants to make sure you are Susan Lucci.

"Context... flow of the game... rarely called.."

Some people really will buy a narrative hook, line and sinker.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

15. Likes:

757690 (01-11-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The problem is Ben was not dinking and dunking down the field. The pass to Brown was terrible and the Steelers were nearly out of time.
    I agree. Burfict never should have laid him out. If you watch the replay, the WR Brown gets "alligator arms" and crouches down a bit, because he knows 55 is coming. Taz should have known this and played the ball instead of the man. But that's some real hindsight there. We are analyzing a split second decision (albeit a poor one) in a dirty game that the refs let get out of control by not flagging for the Bernard KO.

Burfict is 25. He could be our James Harrison for the next 5-7 years. And I hope he is. He's the first Bengals LB since as long as I can remember that gives the Steelers WRs alligator arms. I love it. The only thing better would be if it was Hines Ward laying on that turf seeing stars instead of Brown. Ask Kevin Huber or Keith Rivers or most recently Gio Bernard what they think about "honest hard nosed Steeler football."

Its the same old garbage NFL narrative in regard to the Steelers that either needs to be changed, or there will be a lot more like last Saturday.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 01-11-2016 at 11:11 AM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Just heard this exact argument on Mike & Mike. Ryan Clark and Golic said that the Shazier play is very rarely called even tho it is in the rule book. Everyone agrees it shoulda been a penalty!
    If they qualified the remarks to say that leading with the crown of the helmet against an opponent's torso is rarely called, I could see the argument. But leading with the crown of the helmet making contact into another player's helmet? In this day and age? I'm sorry but that's total baloney. That has been called repeatedly for the past 5-7 years without hesitation. You simply do not see, in this day and age of concussions, officials not calling helmet to helmet contact like that.

Which is why the no-call and the CBS no-care was all the more perplexing.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

18. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (01-11-2016),Bob Sheed (01-11-2016),Dom Heffner (01-11-2016),RiverRat13 (01-11-2016)

http://deadspin.com/vontaze-burfict-...ium=socialflow

I am not posting this for the article, but for the video of Burfict using his knee to ram the shoulder of Ben on the ground. I thought the narrative was that it was just a tackle? Roethlesberger is clearly on the ground and tackled and THEN Burfict knees him in the shoulder? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    I agree. Burfict never should have laid him out. If you watch the replay, the WR gets "alligator arms" and crouches down a bit, because he knows 55 is coming. Taz should have known this and played the ball instead of the man. But that's some real hindsight there. We are analyzing a split second decision (albeit a poor one) in a dirty game that the refs let get out of control by not flagging for the Bernard KO.

Burfict is 25. He could be our James Harrison for the next 5-7 years. And I hope he is. He's the first Bengals LB since as long as I can remember that gives the Steelers WRs alligator arms. I love it. The only thing better would be if it was Hines Ward laying on that turf seeing stars instead of Brown. Ask Kevin Huber or Keith Rivers what they think about "honest hard nosed Steeler football."
    I agree. I won't defend Burfict's hit. But you know what? He got flagged, he'll get fined, he'll get suspended, which are the penalties in place for his actions. But I'm not going to make anything more out of it, despite the calls for his head from everyone outside of Cincinnati (and some in). He plays an extremely violent game in an extremely violent manner. He keeps that violence on the field. He's one of the more knowledgeable and studious players we have on defense. And when he steps out of line and goes too far, the league will deal with it - just like anyone else.

Turn Off Ads?