Turn Off Ads?

Thread: RIP Jim Simpson

RIP Jim Simpson

The longtime sports broadcaster, Jim Simpson, has died. He did just about everything for NBC,ESPN,CBS and other outlets. I remember him being the PBP announcer of NBS's Game of Week for,usually, the back up game. He also did lots of NFL games for NBC and Olympics. I had forgotten he worked for ESPN in their first years on the air. A very good announcer who never really got the credit he deserved.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/1...-first-dies-88
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RIP Jim Simpson

Yes he was a very good announcer. I am remember in the early years of ESPN he was their top play by play announcer on several sports like college football and college basketball.

Another voice from my youth silent, I remember him doing the AFC games on NBC and then ESPN.

Thanks for giving this a mention, I didn't hear about it elsewhere.

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (01-15-2016)

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

I was a big fan of the USFL back in the day - likely, the only only one here to admit it - and remember Simpson best as teaming with Paul Maguire on ESPN's USFL broadcasts. I'll echo the sentiments of the OP that Simpson was terribly underrated/overlooked as a Sportscaster. I also feel the same way about Charlie Jones, who is also no longer with us.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I was a big fan of the USFL back in the day - likely, the only only one here to admit it - and remember Simpson best as teaming with Paul Maguire on ESPN's USFL broadcasts. I'll echo the sentiments of the OP that Simpson was terribly underrated/overlooked as a Sportscaster. I also feel the same way about Charlie Jones, who is also no longer with us.
    I loved watching USFL games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?