Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Academy Award nominations are out

Re: Academy Award nominations are out

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    So you'd say the same thing of every role DDL has taken? It's a showy role inside a showy movie, not a showy role in another cookie-cutter by the numbers biopic...
    If you look closely at DDL roles, they aren't that showy in themselves, he just makes them great. For instance, if Matthew McConaughey played Daniel Plainview, the movie would probably suck, and he would have been ridiculed for it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Did you download the Revenant or see it in theater?
    Theater last night. But I don't think how I saw it would have changed how I felt about the movie overall.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Theater last night. But I don't think how I saw it would have changed how I felt about the movie overall.
    I just think that movie is going to lose a lot on the small screen. The scenery was incredible to me and the fact they used absolutely no artificial lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Yeah, the 0 for 40 streak the Academy is riding of no minority nominations each of the last two years is unfortunate. However, I think they did a pretty good job this time around and not sure who I would add/remove to solve that. Really, the bigger problem is the lack of high-ranking positions held in Hollywood by women and minorities. The Academy, with its public influence, can help shape that, but they have to be given the movies to do it
    Straight Out Of Compton and Dope could have easily gotten a slew of nominations. But I agree the bigger problem is that there are too few diverse movies are being made.

I just think that movie is going to lose a lot on the small screen. The scenery was incredible to me and the fact they used absolutely no artificial lighting.
    As I noted, the cinematography was incredible. The acting was fantastic. The movie was solid, but it's not great.

That they used no artificial light is cool, but it doesn't really change anything for me. I care about the end result, not how you got there. At least in terms of deciding how to value the movie compared to others.

7. Likes:

757690 (01-14-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    If you look closely at DDL roles, they aren't that showy in themselves, he just makes them great. For instance, if Matthew McConaughey played Daniel Plainview, the movie would probably suck, and he would have been ridiculed for it.
    I'd have to disagree. Christy Brown and Abraham Lincoln were just as (if not more) showy as Hugh Glass.
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-14-2016)

Floored that Ridley Scott didn't get a director nom for The Martian. I thought that was a given.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

As I noted, the cinematography was incredible. The acting was fantastic. The movie was solid, but it's not great.

That they used no artificial light is cool, but it doesn't really change anything for me. I care about the end result, not how you got there. At least in terms of deciding how to value the movie compared to others.
    I wasn't trying to change your mind, i was just stating my opinion as to why I think it will lose something going to the small screen.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Straight Out Of Compton and Dope could have easily gotten a slew of nominations. But I agree the bigger problem is that there are too few diverse movies are being made.
    Straight Outta Compton? Brother, please.

I really liked Dope. It's problem was that it was a small crowd-pleaser that got released too early. The Academy rarely goes for that type and it had nothing to do with race...

I wasn't trying to change your mind, i was just stating my opinion as to why I think it will lose something going to the small screen.
    Agreed. Actually, I think almost every film made for the big screen loses something for the small screen. But that's especially true of something like this. I haven't seen The Revenant yet, but it sounds like a must see in theaters for precisely these reasons.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

The one role from a person of color most people are calling a nomination snub would be Idris Elba in Beasts of No Nation.

This whole discussion is interesting to me, because I still think Sean Penn (i am sam) was robbed in favor of Denzel Washington (Training Day) in 2001 when the Academy got political.
    Last edited by ac084c; 01-14-2016 at 01:31 PM.
    I don't like to sound egotistical, but every time I stepped up to the plate with a bat in my hands, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the pitcher.
    -Rogers Hornsby

15. Likes:

757690 (01-14-2016),RedEye (01-14-2016),_Sir_Charles_ (01-23-2016)

Idris Elba = another Oscar snub in Beasts of No Nation.

Though that may have had more to do with the way the movie was released than the subject matter. I think he'll get his eventually. The guy is too good an actor in everything he does.

EDIT: Whoa ac084c, I think our posts were simultaneous!

17. Likes:

757690 (01-14-2016),ac084c (01-14-2016),Chip R (01-14-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Agreed. Actually, I think almost every film made for the big screen loses something for the small screen. But that's especially true of something like this. I haven't seen The Revenant yet, but it sounds like a must see in theaters for precisely these reasons.
    I guess my question would be, at least as it related to my original comment, how would it change the story? The cinematography was great. The acting was great. The movie was simply solid. Seeing it on a 120 foot screen or on a 4 foot screen wasn't going to change what I didn't think was great about that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ac084c View Post
    I'd have to disagree. Christy Brown and Abraham Lincoln were just as (if not more) showy as Hugh Glass.
    I'll give you Christy Brown. That's the definition of Oscar bait.

But Lincoln could have been played a multiple of ways, including very straightforward and boring. Lewis brought a new perspective on him and really created a new character that a doubt too many other actors could do with that role. There is no guarantee that the actor who played Lincoln would get an Oscar, based on the script.

I guess my question would be, at least as it related to my original comment, how would it change the story? The cinematography was great. The acting was great. The movie was simply solid. Seeing it on a 120 foot screen or on a 4 foot screen wasn't going to change what I didn't think was great about that movie.
    I understand. I guess I don't think you can separate story from the overall viewing experience. How you see something affects what you think of it. You might be able to get the story just from reading the screenplay too, but you wouldn't get the overall effect and amplification that the director intended to certain scenes -- especially in a film like this one, where we are less talking about complex plot twists than we are about intense experiences and the grandeur of natural scenery.

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-14-2016)

Turn Off Ads?