Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18586465666768
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1020

Thread: 2016 NFL Season

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: 2016 NFL Season

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2011/06/08/ken-anderson

The HOF case for Ken Anderson

It's long, but a worthwhile read.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Likes:

RedsBaron (01-29-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    You may want to take another look at what the post was responding to. Sea Ray was attempting to use Elway's "comebacks" as a way to separate Elway from Roethisberger; apparently as a trump card as he doesn't seem to believe that things like every day performance matters (y'know those newfangled "sabermetric" concepts like yards, touchdowns, etc.).

All I showed was that Roethisberger is not lacking in a history of comebacks and game-winning drives. While I think that needs to be added to any discussion, it's certainly not the primary reason a QB is good or not.

So far in this discussion, dubc has stated that having a great running back hurts a QB's numbers, Sea Ray emphatically disagrees with that. Sea Ray states that comebacks are really important, but you dispute that.

You might not realize it, but you're really only arguing with each other. Now you're at odds with Sea Ray (not me) about whether or Ken Anderson was a good or bad QB due to meager "comeback" totals. I think he was and should at least belong in the Hall of Very Good.

Again, I think you all need to get together and get your stories straight before continuing.
    LOL....this guy!!!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post

That was a good read. I've always felt that Anderson was underappreciated and I think that article demonstrated that he matched up pretty well versus his contemporaries (which is something I think we already knew even in 2011). That being said, I don't see him stacking up well enough against all QB's (numbers, accomplishments, etc.) to be much more than a look. Hall of Very Good.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    LOL....this guy!!!
    So, do you agree with Sea Ray that having a great running game helps a QB's numbers? That's the opposite of your earlier point regarding Terrell Davis' effect on Elway. I also see that you didn't respond to the correlation data. Hmn.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    He's a Bengals top 10 QB, if that's what you mean and he's probably in the top 10 of guys named "Anderson". He's a QB who played like he was born and bred for the Hall of Very Good.

Ken Anderson- Career NFL Rank

Passing Yards- 35th
    Completions- 38th
    Passing TD- 42nd
    Completion %- 51st
    QB Rating- 49th
    4th Quarter Comebacks- 105th
    Game-Winning Drives- 88th
    Super Bowl Appearances: 1
    Super Bowl Victories: 0

Feel free to post the "many metrics" you're talking about. Anderson was an historically significant player for the Bengals, but falls just short of the HOF. Not enough performance. Not enough hardware.

You can't further Sea Ray's argument even if you wanted to because you disagree with him. I'm just stating that it's pretty funny to see folks crawl out of the woodwork with completely contrary, yet supposedly meaningful, arguments in support of the same points. You guys can't even get your collective poop in a group enough to not disagree with each other, but you think you're making progress with me? Yeah, no.

I'm not sure you know what it may or may not be a measure of; only that your guy isn't as high on the list as you want him to be to validate whatever point it is you're trying to make. Bias-first stuff often ends up like that, Dom. Sorry.
    Steel- it's just not a measurement of anything.

I dont know what else to tell you.

Other than there is an NFL referee who cant sleep at night and will take to the grave with him calls that changed the outcome of a Super Bowl.

Your Ben Roethlisberger fathead won't lose its adhesiveness, all is okay.

Save your essays for the Steeler's board.

Ben was not a top 10 QB in the NFL most years he played- so he's definitely not a top 10 QB of all time. And if he played better during the game, he wouldn't need to "come back."

This is your coach, man. I want you to stop and think about this for a bit. Just think about this and what an embarrassment this is to your city, your fans.

Look at this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1697.PNG 
Views:	63 
Size:	229.2 KB 
ID:	11901

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0b261934b947f4bb35ad91973942a122.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	11903

--Ted Williams

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Interesting.

I was aware of several reported offers for Elway during the '83 draft, and also aware that Elway had eventually agreed to play for the Colts -- only to have Bob Irsay (One of the worst NFL owners of all-time), still bitter over Elway's initial snubbing of the Colts, go over the GM's head to engineer the deal of Elway to Denver. But I wasn't aware of this.

According to two people with knowledge of a potential pre-draft trade, the Colts had reached a deal to send the No. 1 pick of the 1983 draft to the Raiders -- only to have the deal blocked by NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle.

"We almost had Elway, but Pete Rozelle voided the trade," former Raiders personnel man Ron Wolf told The Star-Ledger last week. "We had the trade set up with Baltimore, but Pete wouldn't let it happen."

Rozelle and Raiders owner Davis spent many years in the 1980s in courtrooms over the Raiders' move from Oakland to Los Angeles, among other issues. Simply put, the two didn't like each other.

Ernie Accorsi, then the GM of the Colts, now the Giants' GM, confirmed a deal was in place with the Raiders that would have netted Baltimore an unprecedented three No. 1 picks and two No. 2s. One of the No. 1s, Accorsi said, would have been the sixth overall, which the Raiders had arranged to acquire from the Bears.

"Yeah, it's never been written, but I was going to make the deal only if it included getting back a top 10 pick," Accorsi said. "I wanted to make sure we still got (Hall of Fame quarterback) Dan Marino. I wasn't going to trade Elway for anything less than the best package ever."

Wolf said he didn't know the details of the almost-trade, but said he was was told by someone in the Colts' organization that "it was much better" than what Baltimore later received from the Broncos for Elway after the draft. That deal included back-up QB Mark Hermann, tackle Chris Hinton and a first-round draft pick.
    http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/4...to-the-raiders
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

^^^^^Wow. What an interesting story, Rev.

Vida Blue comes to mind with the Reds.

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-29-2017)

Excellent article.
    In my prior post I said I thought Anderson should outrank Fouts, and that article reinforced that opinion. I also liked the term "deadball era" to apply to the NFL of 1970-77. Anyone who simply compares passing stats to that era to today's era as if the game hasn't changed lacks understanding.
    However the article also caused me to revise my own opinion of Anderson. I no longer regard him to be a borderline HOF candidate. He clearly should be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Case closed.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (01-29-2017)

Interesting.

I was aware of several reported offers for Elway during the '83 draft, and also aware that Elway had eventually agreed to play for the Colts -- only to have Bob Irsay (One of the worst NFL owners of all-time), still bitter over Elway's initial snubbing of the Colts, go over the GM's head to engineer the deal of Elway to Denver. But I wasn't aware of this.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/4...to-the-raiders
    Interesting. The questionable integrity of the office of the NFL Commissioner has long roots.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Attempted Rapes: 0
    The one stat Steel won't talk about!
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    The one stat Steel won't talk about!
    Had security block the door while he did it....just ick.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Had security block the door while he did it....just ick.
    I've seen kids in Columbus in Roethlisberger jerseys - how do you just wave that off and move forward with indoctrinating your kid to love the guy?
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I'm closing this thread for two reasons:

1) It has reached 1000 posts
    2) The last several pages of posts have consisted of repeated baiting and flaming from multiple different directions.

Please start a new thread and refrain from personal attacks and baiting of users.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

20. Likes:

bigredmechanism (02-04-2017),cumberlandreds (01-30-2017),redhawkfish (01-29-2017)

Turn Off Ads?