Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We're Moving To Cincinnati

We're Moving To Cincinnati

Despite the trend to move away from The Queen City I just accepted a job offer with a company in Cincinnati and will be joining them March 1st.

We are looking for a modest home 2-4 BR, 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 bath, Two car Garage...decent neighborhood with parks and stuff for our two 5 year old boys to enjoy...

Suburban Ohio area preferred but would also consider driving the bridges too.

Open to any sort of situation from Rent to Purchase to Land Contract, Lease to own, etc.

Not afraid of doing some renovations (will need the name of Electrician, Plumber, HVAC, Roofers, Window Replacement, Landscape, Etc...any sort of service company you would recommend for that sort of work.)

Also open to recommendations of neighborhoods to consider...neighborhoods to stay away from.

Also would like recommendations of any Christian Protestant Churches in the area...Denomination isn't a real big priority.

Help us discover the fun things for our family to do together...what parks, places, events and happening will we want to make sure we take in?

How about used car dealers? Which ones do I for sure want to check out their inventory and who do I want to stay away from? Auto Mechanic...same thing!

All of us know the big name brand pizza and hot dog places but what are some great neighborhood pizza, hot dog, coffee, ice cream, food places that may or may not be famous that we should try at least once?

I know this is a long post asking for a lot of info...some critical...some for gaining our bearings. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by MartyFan; 02-22-2016 at 05:00 PM.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

2. Likes:

Joseph (02-23-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: We're Moving To Cincinnati

Make the first choice

east

west

north

south

in-town

All other things fall out of that

What part of town is work in? That can be a big factor.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Make the first choice

east

west

north

south

in-town

All other things fall out of that
    Lets go east
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

7. Likes:

Dom Heffner (02-24-2016)

The offices are in Colerain...I will be focusing my B2B efforts in Amelia, Anderson, Batavia, Milford, Loveland and Hyde Park
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    What part of town is work in? That can be a big factor.

9. Likes:

Dom Heffner (02-24-2016),westofyou (02-22-2016)

March 1st is just around the corner so my guess is you'll have to rent someplace first. This is the best apartment I've ever lived in:

http://www.wellingtonplace-apts.com/

Two floors and great access to the highway. As I recall they do month to month leases. Each bedroom has its own full bath

This is a recently renovated house in the Kings School district on the NE side

https://www.sibcycline.com/Listing/C...d-Twp-OH-45040

It's been on the market a long time so I know they'd entertain any interest. It's a long story but since it didn't sell, a flipper took it over and renovated it from top to bottom so I'm sure it's immaculate.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    Despite the trend to move away from The Queen City I just accepted a job offer with a company in Cincinnati and will be joining them March 1st.

We are looking for a modest home 2-4 BR, 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 bath, Two car Garage...decent neighborhood with parks and stuff for our two 5 year old boys to enjoy...

Suburban Ohio area preferred but would also consider driving the bridges too.

Open to any sort of situation from Rent to Purchase to Land Contract, Lease to own, etc.

Not afraid of doing some renovations (will need the name of Electrician, Plumber, HVAC, Roofers, Window Replacement, Landscape, Etc...any sort of service company you would recommend for that sort of work.)

Also open to recommendations of neighborhoods to consider...neighborhoods to stay away from.

Also would like recommendations of any Christian Protestant Churches in the area...Denomination isn't a real big priority.

Help us discover the fun things for our family to do together...what parks, places, events and happening will we want to make sure we take in?

How about used car dealers? Which ones do I for sure want to check out their inventory and who do I want to stay away from? Auto Mechanic...same thing!

All of us know the big name brand pizza and hot dog places but what are some great neighborhood pizza, hot dog, coffee, ice cream, food places that may or may not be famous that we should try at least once?

I know this is a long post asking for a lot of info...some critical...some for gaining our bearings. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Congrats and good luck! Regarding the bold part I though Cincy was going thru some sort of re-birth??? No?

The offices are in Colerain...I will be focusing my B2B efforts in Amelia, Anderson, Batavia, Milford, Loveland and Hyde Park
    Loveland is nice. Anything much further east than that and you're setting yourself up for a pretty gnarly drive to get to Colerain. 275 is pretty much a catastrophe around the north side of the loop, particularly at evening rush hour. Hyde Park is also nice, but you'll get a lot more bang for your buck in the burbs.

What sort of price range do you have in mind for a home?

What kind of schools do you have in mind for your kids? Public/private? Small/large? Etc.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 02-22-2016 at 06:42 PM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I'm from Mariemont, I have some real estate friends if you need names.

Remember this, the further east you go the smaller the roads will get, especially during rush hour

15. Likes:

MartyFan (02-24-2016)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Colerain? Welcome to my part of town (sort of - I'm right on the edge near Miamitown) during work hours.

Hyde Park would be the easiest drive of that bunch. I wouldn't want to make the drive from any of the other places on a daily basis though.

17. Likes:

MartyFan (02-24-2016)

I have lived in Anderson on the east side, and now live in Delhi on the west side. Both neighborhoods have been great, and the kids seem to enjoy both. If you're looking for a fantastic realtor, I highly recommend Jim Hood http://www.southernohiomls.com/ He got me in almost the exact house I was looking for quite quickly. Avoid Westwood. 11 of he worst months of my life were spent there.

As far as churches go, I've started attending Crossroads https://www.crossroads.net/ and really enjoy it there. They have a kids club that our kids love. It's a bit more modern style as far as churches go, but that's what I enjoy. It's definitely a Christ centered organization though.

Aglamesis Brothers is a great local spot for ice cream. It's an old soda fountain set up. Again, the kids tend to enjoy it there http://www.aglamesis.com/
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

19. Likes:

MartyFan (02-24-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I have lived in Anderson on the east side, and now live in Delhi on the west side. Both neighborhoods have been great, and the kids seem to enjoy both. If you're looking for a fantastic realtor, I highly recommend Jim Hood http://www.southernohiomls.com/ He got me in almost the exact house I was looking for quite quickly. Avoid Westwood. 11 of he worst months of my life were spent there.
    Hey, I resemble that remark (16 years and counting).

I can't really speak to some of the other stuff but there is usually something to do every weekend around here. Washington Park behind Music Hall usually has some kind of event going on most weekends when it's warm. A lot of parks have movie nights. The Museum Center is great - especially for kids. Newport has the Aquarium with Newport on the Levee right next to it. The Zoo is great. If you like hockey, the Cyclones play at U.S. Bank Arena and tickets are relatively cheap. There's King's Island and The Beach water park. And, not to toot my own horn but, Cincinnati has four different 1860s base ball teams that play from April to October. One team or the other is usually playing every weekend. It's family entertainment. Usually the only cost is admission to the park. You can sit close to the action and bring your own chairs, food and drink. The players are always willing to answer questions about the differences between modern day baseball and 1860s base ball.

As for places to eat, Zip's in Mount Lookout and Terry's Turf Club which is in the Hyde Park/Mount Lookout area but closer to the river are known to be the best spots for hamburgers. I personally am not a fan of LaRosa's pizza but the natives swear by it. Dewey's Pizza is a good local chain. The Root Beer Stand in Sharonville is a good little joint for hot dogs. We probably have some old threads on here (though nothing specific in the archives) that will give you some insight about food and drink.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

21. Likes:

MartyFan (02-24-2016)

Zip's is pretty good!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

23. Likes:

MartyFan (03-05-2016),wolfboy (02-23-2016)

If you are working in Colerain and living on the east side you are going to have one heck of a commute.

25. Likes:

Chip R (02-23-2016),dabvu2498 (02-23-2016),dougdirt (02-23-2016),KittyDuran (02-24-2016)

Turn Off Ads?