Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No haggle car buying?

No haggle car buying?

I'm looking at buying a new truck because I want it, not because I need it. As such I'm really trying to get a pretty good deal on it...IE I'm probably trying to screw the dealer a little. My last experience in buying a new car a few years ago I basically did the same thing, named my price and wouldn't back off it until the dealer caved. This time around though I'm being hit with a whole spiel about things being 'no haggle'. I found one I really liked online over in Lexington that was about 3000 grand above my line-in-the-sand price I'd set. It was a 58k truck that they'd discounted down to about 48k online and I want to pay 45k. They basically aren't budging.

Maybe I'm being old school, maybe I'm being greedy, probably both. But I'm curious if others are experiencing this sort of situation when buying a new car, are they giving you a price and not moving off it any?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Likes:

kpresidente (03-28-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    They call me "chef"

Re: No haggle car buying?

Chain yourself to their sign and don't leave until they knock off the 3 grand.

5. Likes:

BillDoran (02-25-2016)

If you're trading something in, that's where you're more likely to find wiggle room.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

7. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (02-26-2016)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Maybe I'm being old school, maybe I'm being greedy, probably both. But I'm curious if others are experiencing this sort of situation when buying a new car, are they giving you a price and not moving off it any?
    I actually just bought my first car from a dealership two weeks ago. It was pretty much no haggle. I went with a 2015 that had just over 10,000 miles on it, so it wasn't a brand new car, but it was fairly close. No trade in and they tried to sell me some upgrades (nicer stereo, installing a backup cam) for $1800. They wouldn't even haggle on those two things, so I passed.

As I said, I don't have any past experience with it, but they were pretty firm in their price. I shopped around a lot, and I got a real deal on the car compared to what others were asking for incredibly similar cars. Perhaps that's why they weren't willing to haggle on the price - there really wasn't much room there.

Good luck. Hopefully you can get the truck.

A lot wont haggle much to see if you will break first. My grandpa was the master of negotiating with dealers like this-I would be embarrassed at times when he would talk, but damn if he wouldn't almost always get his way in the end. The last truck he helped me get we walked in and he talked to the guy a while, finally told him what we were going to buy the truck for and the dealer responded he couldn't do that. My g-dad replied "I understand- I don't want you to lose your job, no hard feelings, when it has sat too long and you guys are ready to take my offer give me a call and if we haven't bought something else from someone else yet we got a deal". We walked out the door, got in our car and were pulling out when the dealer ran out with paperwork and keys.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

10. Likes:

goreds2 (02-29-2016)

I wouldn't put any stock in the "no haggle" buzzword. It's just an attempt to get people to let their guard down, to get them to pay more.

Dealers know they're not likely to make much money selling new cars. They make most of their money through their financing and service departments. Dealers want to sell new cars to turn people into customers for those more profitable departments.

In your situation, I would start by asking to see the invoice price and go from there. If you don't know much about invoice prices, I recommend reading the article below.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/pr...ar-buying.html

12. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-25-2016),KittyDuran (02-25-2016)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

If you're looking to buy a new car use truecar.com. You basically put what you're looking for with color & options you're wanting. Then it tells you what dealerships around you have something similar. You can then print out a certificate and take it to that dealer and they will honor that price. The price is just above invoice, which is way better than paying MSRP.

Also, if you're looking to buy a Ford. Join Mustang Club of America. You pay $50 for a year subscription. When you go to the dealer first thing you say is "Im a member of MCoA and I qualify for Xplan, do you honor that", if they do you pay invoice plus a max $249(? if not it's pretty close) doc fee. Awesome deal. I used that last year when I bought my new Mustang. MSRP was just over 35K, out the door I was at just over 31K after tax, tags, & license. Works with any Ford vehicle!
    Last edited by dubc47834; 02-25-2016 at 03:30 PM.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

14. Likes:

dougdirt (02-25-2016),Joseph (02-27-2016)

Mrs fan wrecked my car late last summer. USAA sent me to Truecar.com. Way less haggling and a pretty good deal

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Mrs fan wrecked my car late last summer. USAA sent me to Truecar.com. Way less haggling and a pretty good deal
    Did you use the USAA car buying service? If so, how was your experience?

I'm in the market for a new car. I've been doing my research for the past couple months through USAA and other sites. I've noticed things have changed a lot since I last bought a car, as I previously found that the Internet was an amazing resource that could be used to play dealers off each other. My current car, a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT, we were able to buy for about $8000 under MSRP because we played 5 different dealers off each other using the internet. Now it seems most of the dealer sites tie into each other so that most dealers are offering the same deal, pretty much right around invoice give or take $100. USAA uses the TrueCar pricing, so that helps give me a good idea of where these offers are. So now I'm delving deeper into USAA's offerings and wondering if it's worthwhile to use them for financing.

The other thing I've been wondering is if people have had success using USAA to sell their current car. I might want to try that too.

So here's something I just need to get off my chest. My G6 is a decent car, but we've had it for 10 years and I'm to the point in my life where I'd like a car with some more modern amenities. Plus, I think my car officially qualifies as a "beater." Two months ago, I took it in to the dealer who we'd had a long history with and had treated us well in the past to check out a problem with the heater. Turns out the water pump had gone bad and needed to be replaced. Oh, and there was a bad control arm bushing on one side and a bad ball joint sleeve on the other side. Total repairs, $1500. So I asked them how much they would give me in trade if I just decided to be done with the car and get a new one. In the past, they would just send a guy out, to give it the once-over, knowing it's not something they're going to sell, but probably either junk out or send a long to a budget used car dealer, they'd at least offer me $1000 for my trouble. But this time they sent out a guy who went into the entire history of the car, pulling up all our old service records and grilling me on every single repair we ever had done. After about an 1 and a half hours, which was about 1 hour longer than I wanted to discuss the issue, he comes back and says, "Well, we can't sell it in it's current state, so we'll give you $200 in trade." It felt like a real slap in the face. One of his issues was that, right after we had bought it it 2006, it was in a major accident where someone hit my wife, which required $10,000 to repair (all covered by insurance). The dealer did all the repairs and promised that they stood by them all. At $10,000 for repairs, I flat out asked them if it made sense to do the repairs or just ask for the money to use toward buying another car. Our guy told us that their repairs would be so good that when we traded it in later, they would treat it as if it had never been in an accident. So we had the car fixed, and the repairs were very good. Never really had any issues other than normal wear and tear. Kept taking it to that dealer for repairs because they always seemed to deal with us straight. Now it seemed like they were using all that information they had collected about our car against us.

When we bought the car, the dealer was a Pontiac, Olds, and Buick dealer. Since the GM bail out and GM getting rid of Pontiac and Olds, we've noticed gradual changes in the dealer and how they do business. I don't know if it's connected, I think not. I think it's more likely that there's been a changing of the guard from the older generation in the dealer's family to the younger generation. The older folks in the sales and service department were more willing to work with you on cost of repairs if you could show things like regular oil changes and that you were taking care of the car. They seemed intent on building a trust relationship in order to keep you coming back. I'd say in the past 3-4 years, a lot of those guys have retired or moved on. The woman who sold us the car originally, who was just awesome to deal with, had taken a position that allowed her to work from home to be with her young children. The guy at the body shop who made all those guarantees had moved on to bigger and better things. Much of the sales staff was new and basically the only guy who recognized us as a long-time customer was the service guy who did the estimate for us, telling us it would be $1500 to fix. When I came back and told him what the guy in sales told me they would give me for the car, he just shook his head, said "I understand. Thank you for your business, I'll get your car ready for you. There are a few shops you can talk to that might be able to do the repairs more reasonably." The look in his eyes pretty much told me he knew he probably wouldn't see me again and it was kind of sad.

In the end, I had the repairs done at two separate shops and got completely new control arm assemblies on the front end and a new water pump for less than half of what the dealer wanted for the repairs. The car runs well, but has some cosmetic damage, mainly dents and scratches, a few tiny blemishes with the first hints of rust, but no major rust spots. Engine is good and has had regular oil changes for its entire life. No issues with the automatic transmission. Brakes good, new tires, 170,000 miles on the odometer. It was in a major accident in 2006, but nothing since and you can't tell it was ever in an accident. I do have a "D" sticker (for Germany) on the back to cover up a spot where last year a disgruntled former employee of my office keyed the a-word in to the paint (he keyed 3 of our cars total). Has remote start, but one of the annoying things about the car is that the key fobs no longer work, so you can't remote start or unlock the car. All unlocking must be done old school, with the key in the door, and it only has a keyhole on the driver's door. So if I want to put my kids in the car, I have to go all the way to the driver's door, unlock the door, open it, and hit the unlock button to unlock all the other doors. It runs mechanically runs well, but has all those idiosyncrasies that are fine for a young person in need of cheap wheels but kind of a pain in the butt for a guy in his forties constantly hauling his kids around.

I test drove a Subaru Legacy a while back and, once I get my car buying war chest together, I think I might go that route. The question is, what to do with my current car. The salesman at the Subaru dealership was pretty on the level and basically printed out the page from kbb.com that would give me an idea on a trade. He actually suggested trying Craigslist to see if I could get a better deal, but I've never sold a car private party before. So I'm intrigued by this car buying service. I wonder if it will get me something more akin to a private party transaction or fall more inline with what I could get in trade.

Okay, long rant over. The search for a new car has been consuming me for the past few months. I have a pretty good idea of what I want. Now it's just getting what I need to get that car together and then getting the best sale price on the new car and the best sale/trade in on the old. Based on what I've seen, it looks like the sale price on the new car is going to be pretty standard. It's going to be on the financing and trade/private sale where I might be able to find my deal.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I'm sorry that happened to you Yachtzee. That sucks. Your experience is another example of why you should never trust the word of a dealer.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Did you use the USAA car buying service? If so, how was your experience?

I'm in the market for a new car. I've been doing my research for the past couple months through USAA and other sites. I've noticed things have changed a lot since I last bought a car, as I previously found that the Internet was an amazing resource that could be used to play dealers off each other. My current car, a 2006 Pontiac G6 GT, we were able to buy for about $8000 under MSRP because we played 5 different dealers off each other using the internet. Now it seems most of the dealer sites tie into each other so that most dealers are offering the same deal, pretty much right around invoice give or take $100. USAA uses the TrueCar pricing, so that helps give me a good idea of where these offers are. So now I'm delving deeper into USAA's offerings and wondering if it's worthwhile to use them for financing.

The other thing I've been wondering is if people have had success using USAA to sell their current car. I might want to try that too.

So here's something I just need to get off my chest. My G6 is a decent car, but we've had it for 10 years and I'm to the point in my life where I'd like a car with some more modern amenities. Plus, I think my car officially qualifies as a "beater." Two months ago, I took it in to the dealer who we'd had a long history with and had treated us well in the past to check out a problem with the heater. Turns out the water pump had gone bad and needed to be replaced. Oh, and there was a bad control arm bushing on one side and a bad ball joint sleeve on the other side. Total repairs, $1500. So I asked them how much they would give me in trade if I just decided to be done with the car and get a new one. In the past, they would just send a guy out, to give it the once-over, knowing it's not something they're going to sell, but probably either junk out or send a long to a budget used car dealer, they'd at least offer me $1000 for my trouble. But this time they sent out a guy who went into the entire history of the car, pulling up all our old service records and grilling me on every single repair we ever had done. After about an 1 and a half hours, which was about 1 hour longer than I wanted to discuss the issue, he comes back and says, "Well, we can't sell it in it's current state, so we'll give you $200 in trade." It felt like a real slap in the face. One of his issues was that, right after we had bought it it 2006, it was in a major accident where someone hit my wife, which required $10,000 to repair (all covered by insurance). The dealer did all the repairs and promised that they stood by them all. At $10,000 for repairs, I flat out asked them if it made sense to do the repairs or just ask for the money to use toward buying another car. Our guy told us that their repairs would be so good that when we traded it in later, they would treat it as if it had never been in an accident. So we had the car fixed, and the repairs were very good. Never really had any issues other than normal wear and tear. Kept taking it to that dealer for repairs because they always seemed to deal with us straight. Now it seemed like they were using all that information they had collected about our car against us.

When we bought the car, the dealer was a Pontiac, Olds, and Buick dealer. Since the GM bail out and GM getting rid of Pontiac and Olds, we've noticed gradual changes in the dealer and how they do business. I don't know if it's connected, I think not. I think it's more likely that there's been a changing of the guard from the older generation in the dealer's family to the younger generation. The older folks in the sales and service department were more willing to work with you on cost of repairs if you could show things like regular oil changes and that you were taking care of the car. They seemed intent on building a trust relationship in order to keep you coming back. I'd say in the past 3-4 years, a lot of those guys have retired or moved on. The woman who sold us the car originally, who was just awesome to deal with, had taken a position that allowed her to work from home to be with her young children. The guy at the body shop who made all those guarantees had moved on to bigger and better things. Much of the sales staff was new and basically the only guy who recognized us as a long-time customer was the service guy who did the estimate for us, telling us it would be $1500 to fix. When I came back and told him what the guy in sales told me they would give me for the car, he just shook his head, said "I understand. Thank you for your business, I'll get your car ready for you. There are a few shops you can talk to that might be able to do the repairs more reasonably." The look in his eyes pretty much told me he knew he probably wouldn't see me again and it was kind of sad.

In the end, I had the repairs done at two separate shops and got completely new control arm assemblies on the front end and a new water pump for less than half of what the dealer wanted for the repairs. The car runs well, but has some cosmetic damage, mainly dents and scratches, a few tiny blemishes with the first hints of rust, but no major rust spots. Engine is good and has had regular oil changes for its entire life. No issues with the automatic transmission. Brakes good, new tires, 170,000 miles on the odometer. It was in a major accident in 2006, but nothing since and you can't tell it was ever in an accident. I do have a "D" sticker (for Germany) on the back to cover up a spot where last year a disgruntled former employee of my office keyed the a-word in to the paint (he keyed 3 of our cars total). Has remote start, but one of the annoying things about the car is that the key fobs no longer work, so you can't remote start or unlock the car. All unlocking must be done old school, with the key in the door, and it only has a keyhole on the driver's door. So if I want to put my kids in the car, I have to go all the way to the driver's door, unlock the door, open it, and hit the unlock button to unlock all the other doors. It runs mechanically runs well, but has all those idiosyncrasies that are fine for a young person in need of cheap wheels but kind of a pain in the butt for a guy in his forties constantly hauling his kids around.

I test drove a Subaru Legacy a while back and, once I get my car buying war chest together, I think I might go that route. The question is, what to do with my current car. The salesman at the Subaru dealership was pretty on the level and basically printed out the page from kbb.com that would give me an idea on a trade. He actually suggested trying Craigslist to see if I could get a better deal, but I've never sold a car private party before. So I'm intrigued by this car buying service. I wonder if it will get me something more akin to a private party transaction or fall more inline with what I could get in trade.

Okay, long rant over. The search for a new car has been consuming me for the past few months. I have a pretty good idea of what I want. Now it's just getting what I need to get that car together and then getting the best sale price on the new car and the best sale/trade in on the old. Based on what I've seen, it looks like the sale price on the new car is going to be pretty standard. It's going to be on the financing and trade/private sale where I might be able to find my deal.
    Try CarMax...you basically take your car to them, they give you a quote on what they will pay for it which is good for 7 days I believe. I've known a few people who have used it and they both have said it's better than trading it in and just below out right selling it. Quick and fairly painless! You should a least look into it!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

19. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-29-2016),goreds2 (02-29-2016),Yachtzee (02-29-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Try CarMax...you basically take your car to them, they give you a quote on what they will pay for it which is good for 7 days I believe. I've known a few people who have used it and they both have said it's better than trading it in and just below out right selling it. Quick and fairly painless! You should a least look into it!
    I can vouch for that. We took our 2004 Mitsubishi Endeavor to them and they gave us $2000 for it. It was leaking gas and had a huge problem with the condensation leaking back into the cabin of the vehicle which I suspected caused the gas tank to rust. We told them up front about those two things and still got what I thought was a very fair price. I was hoping for about $500 actually with those problems. We used that $2000 for a down payment of the vehicle we bought from them, a Toyota Highlander.
    CarMax we have found is a very good experience. The last two cars we have bought from them. I don't like haggling at all and don't want a pushy salesman trying to sell us something we don't really want. Both times we looked at their cars online. Picked out two or three to test drive and chose the one we liked best after the test drives. Also was able to get the car registered and tagged there so I didn't have to go to the DMV and wait a half day in line to do that. You really can't beat them IMO.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

21. Likes:

The Operator (03-01-2016)

Didn't finance w USAA. Got better terms from the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Actually, thanks for reminding me about them. I've actually used them before myself, back when I was living in Chicago. I had just gotten married and we didn't need 2 cars because we were living in the city and trying to find parking for just one car was a big enough pain as it was. Got a deal I was pretty happy with. I had wanted to look into using them again after we moved to NE Ohio, but for the longest time we didn't have one. But they opened one up a few years back on the east side of Cleveland, so I'll have to check it out. I can at least get a baseline appraisal and know what I can get from them before talking trade or third party sale.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Didn't finance w USAA. Got better terms from the dealer.
    Ok. I haven't gotten to the point where we're talking financing yet, but I figured I'd ask. They always say to get financing squared away before going to the dealer, but every time I've talked to a bank beforehand, the dealer always comes through with a better rate.

Today I went down to one of the Subaru dealers in the area because they were offering a $50 Visa gift card if you test drive a Subaru and the offer expired today. They actually have a sales rep at the dealer who is in charge of handling inquiries through the USAA Car Buyers Service. We talked and test drove a car, and then she said that when we're ready, just make a request through USAA regarding the model, options, and color we're looking for and the request goes directly to her. It was nice to get a heads up as far as who I would be talking to beforehand.

Turn Off Ads?