Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Jay Bruce hopes swing tweak leads to more success in 2016

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Jay Bruce hopes swing tweak leads to more success in 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I've been saying it for years. Doug can say whatever he wants about the mechanics of swings, but there are some ugly mechanical swings out there and guys are still raking. Jay Bruce just isn't the smartest player out there. He's not Nuke Laloosh dumb, he's more Rube Baker dumb.
    It's not about mechanics, it's about swing path. Bruce's swing path produces lots of high fly balls. When those don't go over the fence, they go for outs too often. Of course, that swing path is one reason Bruce does hit 30 bombs every year. But, the point was, if he wants to improve his average, lowering his hands is going to likely take a slight bit of loop out of his swing, resulting in (likely) less of those types of fly balls.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Votto's spray chart shows that he can beat the shift, which no one does against him anyway on a regular basis, without bunting.

Bruce, fine. Bunt away.

Joey Notto.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    I've been saying it for years. Doug can say whatever he wants about the mechanics of swings, but there are some ugly mechanical swings out there and guys are still raking. Jay Bruce just isn't the smartest player out there. He's not Nuke Laloosh dumb, he's more Rube Baker dumb.
    I've been saying this for years, unless you actually know Jay Bruce and have talked to him and have a real idea about his intelligence your opinion on his intelligence is crap.

5. Likes:

Always Red (03-09-2016),CySeymour (03-09-2016),dougdirt (03-09-2016),Edd Roush (03-09-2016),marcshoe (03-10-2016),Mitri (03-09-2016),Raisor (03-09-2016),ScotlandRed (03-10-2016),Tom Servo (03-09-2016),TRF (03-09-2016),Wonderful Monds (03-09-2016)

That's enough.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Votto's spray chart shows that he can beat the shift, which no one does against him anyway on a regular basis, without bunting.

Bruce, fine. Bunt away.

Joey Notto.
    Seriously. Who shifts on Votto?

8. Likes:

Raisor (03-09-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Seriously. Who shifts on Votto?
    It makes sense to shift on Votto. When he hits grounders, he pulls them. When the ball is in the air, he uses the entire field. Very few players hit grounders the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by wlf WV View Post
    The 2013 shift drastically reduced his overall BABIP and he has never recovered.
    um not really. In 2014 it clearly shows that his shift BABIP was up near .300.

Bruce's 2015 is really weird. Most think he had a poor year, and maybe he did. He was also 2nd on the Reds in XBH's behind Frazier and ahead of Votto. The real complaint is he made an out 5% more of the time than we like.

meh.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

If intelligence is what it took, Einstein would have made a helluva ball player.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

12. Likes:

goreds2 (03-10-2016)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It makes sense to shift on Votto. When he hits grounders, he pulls them. When the ball is in the air, he uses the entire field. Very few players hit grounders the other way.
    Just to extrapolate on that, then would you not shift on every LHH?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    um not really. In 2014 it clearly shows that his shift BABIP was up near .300.

Bruce's 2015 is really weird. Most think he had a poor year, and maybe he did. He was also 2nd on the Reds in XBH's behind Frazier and ahead of Votto. The real complaint is he made an out 5% more of the time than we like.

meh.
    Racking up XBH is a good thing. So kudos to him for that. But by just about every other way you judge a hitter he had a below average to poor season. I say that respectfully. It's just to defend his 2015 one has to really bend over backwards, evaluating him or cherry picking things in ways that we don't usually grade a hitter's season.

So for me, it's not meh. It was unacceptable and will hurt any club he is on going forward if he repeats it.

I would have to look it up but the shift that I see getting placed on Votto is more of a 3rd & SS shift towards the middle as opposed to an actual shift...

I am only going on memory here but I recall several times that 3rd baseman would play more towards SS and the SS would slide to the middle....of course they do not do it all the time like they do against Jay but it does happen more often than would would think given the Votto is a machine....

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Just to extrapolate on that, then would you not shift on every LHH?
    For the most part, you probably should.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Racking up XBH is a good thing. So kudos to him for that. But by just about every other way you judge a hitter he had a below average to poor season. I say that respectfully. It's just to defend his 2015 one has to really bend over backwards, evaluating him or cherry picking things in ways that we don't usually grade a hitter's season.

So for me, it's not meh. It was unacceptable and will hurt any club he is on going forward if he repeats it.
    He was having a nice season until August, and I maintain he hid an injury. That was a drastic dropoff.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?