Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Taking my mother-in-law to the game

Taking my mother-in-law to the game

Hi everyone. I'm new here, and I'll admit up front I'm from the SF Bay Area and a life-long Giants fan. Boo, hiss!!! Yes, it's been ridiculous, and sorry (a little) about 2012. Please just keep in mind that prior to 2010 the Giants last won the World Series when I was in my mother's womb, 56 years earlier. An awful lot of my life I envied you Reds fans, and honestly, the Reds have always been my 2nd favorite non-Giants teams (after the A's).

Anyway, I married an Ohio girl, and my mother-in-law is a Reds fan. So when we come out to Cincinnati for Mother's Day this year, we'll be going to the May 4th Reds-Giants game. However, my mother-in-law recently had knee surgery, and at 83 she's not recovering real quick. So I'm looking for advice on parking and seats in order to minimize the amount of walking she needs to do. She doesn't have a handicapped parking placard btw.

Thanks!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Taking my mother-in-law to the game

You've got alotta nerve comin' in here and asking a question like that.

You see that number under my name? Yeah, 2006. You know what that means, new guy? Can you begin to fathom the idea of what it means? It means that only six short years after this site was created (a little more than a quarter of two decades) and one year after I forgot the password and email address for my first user name, I created this user name and began posting, sparingly, especially in terms of quality. So yeah, respect is what that means.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 03-24-2016 at 01:39 AM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

4. Likes:

Paddy (03-24-2016)

Stat geek...and proud

To minimize walking you'd want low in the upper section and high in the lower sections. There's elevators to get upstairs so don't worry about that. Parking....I'd park in the big garage off Mehring Way and you can take an elevator up to street level.

6. Likes:

Paddy (03-24-2016)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Simply stating the obvious here - but call the Reds ticketing office. Explain the situation to them and they can probably help you a lot more than we can with generic ideas of what seating to get. They will know exactly what's available, perhaps even getting seating at the top of a section that doesn't require going up/down any steps because of the knee issue.

8. Likes:

Paddy (03-24-2016)

http://mlb.mlb.com/cin/ballpark/info...?content=guide

Here is a ton of good information. Look under "A" for an accessable drop-off/pick-up zone. There is also a ballpark telephone number in the "A" section. And then under "W" for wheelchair assistance. It sounds as if they will have a wheelchair available to take your mother-in-law to her seat, and then pick her up when she is ready to leave.

10. Likes:

Paddy (03-24-2016)

Thanks, everyone, this helps a lot. I've been to Great American Ballpark before, but paid no attention to this issue since it didn't impact us then.

My mother-in-law is much too proud to use a wheelchair, but knowing where the accessible drop-off is helped a lot in seat selection, as does knowing where to park close-by.

We got seats in 129, row JJ -- near the entrances closest to the accessible drop-off on Nuxhall, only 6 rows down from the main concourse, and on the aisle.

I'm hella stoked (gratuitous California lingo thrown in for your amusement).

fyi, if the rotation plays out as planned, Cueto would be pitching that series opener on Monday night, then Samardzija, followed by Peavy--and much of the bullpen--for the game we're going to (my wife wanted a day game; I would have preferred to try to see Cueto...). So even if the rotation gets pushed back at all, Cueto should pitch in that series.

Turn Off Ads?