Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: RIP Prince

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: RIP Prince

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Me... saw him in July of 1976 at Riverfront

IT WAS AWESOME
    I saw him with Ray Cooper at the Coliseum in the 1990s.

He played by himself with just a piano for the first half then Ray joined in with a rumble of the gong.

I mean this when I say it was a religious experience.

Best concert I ever saw.

Levon gives me chills to play on the piano, I learned it note for note.

I broke up with a girl after listening to "Someone Saved My Life Tonight." That's how powerful music is, especially his early stuff.

2. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-25-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

http://newsthump.com/2016/04/22/dave...-****-indoors/

Level 5 safety measures are being placed upon musician Dave Grohl.

The lead singer of the Foo Fighters and also something to do with Nirvana, Dave Grohl now ranks among the ever-shrinking number of great musicians still in existence.

“So he’s not allowed out of the house,” confirmed music preservationist, Simon Williams.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

5. Likes:

bucksfan2 (04-25-2016),Donder (04-22-2016)

I was going to bring him up. I would probably cry if he died. I would.

He's been there for me a lot.

I'm not much of a Prince fan. I think the Purple Rain album is genius, I think everything after is overrated, Batman was terrible. When Doves Cry is one of the best songs ever written. And no bass line to boot. Purple Rain was the summer between my freshman and sophomore year in high school. It was one of those times you never forget, it was everywhere. Everywhere. Lots of wonderful memories tied up with that album.

But what I love is the way people react over losing musicians. It makes me not feel alone in my love for it, that's for sure.

He is getting all this love and respect and that really makes me happy. True appreciation of what he meant to so many.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 04-22-2016 at 07:35 PM.

7. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-25-2016)

Lots of great Prince stories, but this one has a sports connection. It's a Kevin Seifert Facebook post, so I am just quoting the whole thing. I hope that is okay.

Finally, that time when Sid met Prince....
    It started with a phone call, the kind Bob Hagan has taken thousands of times in his role as the Vikings' public relations director, during the final week of January in 2007.
    Sid Hartman, a Star Tribune columnist and the legendary dean of Minnesota media, had a request. Someone had told Sid that the halftime performer for Super Bowl XLI had a Minnesota connection.
    "He said, 'Hey, I want to say hello to that Prince guy,'" Hagan recalled this week. "Can you set that up? I want to say hello.'"
    If you've never heard of Sid, you should know that he has been working for Minnesota newspapers for 84 (!) years, ever since he began as a 12-year-old delivery boy in 1932. He still writes three columns per week, going strong at age 96, and over the years Sid has demonstrated an incredible ability to learn and adjust to the culture.
    So I'm sure Sid had heard of Prince, if for no other reason than they both grew up in Minneapolis and had lived there most of their lives. But for Sid, a request to say hi to Prince was no different than asking if he could get a few minutes with Randy Moss. He had no idea how eccentric Prince was, nor how unlikely it would be that he would stop and make small talk with a sportswriter at the Super Bowl.
    Hagan agreed to help, or at least to try. He had Sid meet him at the Miami Convention Center on the day Prince was scheduled to give his Super Bowl "press conference." (I wrote about that event in an earlier post.)
    Hagan's NFL credential got them backstage, and they talked their way past a second wave of security. A third security officer was less willing. Finally, Hagan said: "I know you probably don't know this man, but other than Prince, he's the most famous guy in our state."
    The officer relented, and now Sid and Hagan were walking down a hallway toward the "green room," where Prince was preparing for what would be a 12-minute performance in front of reporters. Then they saw him. The superstar -- Prince, not Sid -- was walking the other way and surrounded by his bodyguards.
    And Sid did what he always does. He chased down the guy he wanted to talk to.
    "Hey Prince! Prince! Hey, Prince!" is the way Hagan remembers Sid flagging him down.
    At that moment, everything stopped. The bodyguards looked over and saw an 87-year-old sportswriter trying to get a little personal time with one of the quirkiest celebrities of our times.
    "The seas just parted," Hagan said. "And Prince turned around, really slow, to see who this was."
    Prince looked at Sid.
    Sid looked at Prince.
    "Hello, Mr. Hartman," Prince said. "How are you?"
    Everyone -- the bodyguards, other staffers, Hagan -- stood there, mouths agape. They couldn't decide whether it was more stunning that someone had the audacity to chase down Prince, or that Prince had responded in kind.
    Sid and Prince stood there and chatted for what Hagan remembers was three or four minutes.
    "Prince was very polite and they had a very, very cordial talk," Hagan said. "I think Prince brought up some local sports with him."
    Prince left to conduct his "press conference," and Sid walked out to watch his new close, personal friend.
    I heard about the meeting an hour or so later and found Sid at the convention center. I told him how incredible it was that he had met and had a normal conversation with Prince.
    "He was a nice guy," Sid said, as if he had just gotten a few minutes with Daunte Culpepper.
    I wondered if Sid knew how big this was.
    "Sid," I said, "do you realize how few people on this planet have had a personal five-minute conversation with Prince? He doesn't do that kind of thing."
    "Yeah?" Sid asked, brightening up.
    "Yeah," I said.
    And Sid strode away, head held high, a bounce in his step. I felt confident I'd established the significance of the event. And Prince? Who knows. Maybe we'll ask him one day in heaven. Rest in peace, sir.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

9. Likes:

Redsfaithful (04-25-2016),RiverRat13 (04-23-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    We still have a number of titans left who I don't think have been mentioned. Not all stars of "rock" by any means, many in other genres, but:

Stevie Nicks
    Madonna
    Willie Nelson
    Aretha
    Diana Ross
    Al Green

...though, while I think there's tremendous music being made these days, I'm guessing the days of a musician who is truly great AND ALSO a superstar a la Michael Jackson, Prince, even Bowie, are coming to an end. The way music is disseminated now has changed this, for better or worse.
    Stevie Wonder is angry that we skipped him

11. Likes:

Raisor (04-23-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Loretta makes me smile.

When I was a little guy living in Mt Washington, my mom would hand me that thing you move around logs with and I'd stand up on the fireplace mantle (like it was a stage) and sing "Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man" as a duet with her.
    I need to see her in concert before its to late.

I have "Coal Miners Daughter " memorized.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I need to see her in concert before its to late.

I have "Coal Miners Daughter " memorized.
    She was here in February and I made some excuse not to go. Dumb.

None of us have mentioned Stevie Wonder

As punishment I will now listen to Stevie Wonder non-stop for the rest of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    None of us have mentioned Stevie Wonder

As punishment I will now listen to Stevie Wonder non-stop for the rest of the day.
    Boogie on, Reggae Woman is one of my favorite songs ever.

I had a good friend in high school (named Phil) that would always say to his mom when she was mad at him mid-lecture/yell "Mom. Mom. .... You are the apple of my eye." And she would stop and smile every time. Was hilarious. Coincidentally today is the 15th anniversary of his death. I'll never forget good memories like that, though. Thanks to Stevie!

16. Likes:

Raisor (04-23-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Stevie Wonder is angry that we skipped him
    My username on another message board is Sir Duke.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

18. Likes:

marcshoe (04-23-2016),Revering4Blue (04-25-2016),westofyou (04-23-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    My username on another message board is Sir Duke.
    THAT's my fav Stevie song.

It was my first ever favorite song. My aunt bought me the 45 and I played it until the grooves were gone.

John Foggerty.

RIP Prince.

If Prince can die, I suppose any of us can.

Thankful I got to see him last year. My wife got us tickets at the Palace here in Louisville, really great seats. He started off with 9 or 10 of his biggest hits non stop, then he slowed down and played some of the newer stuff, more hits, interacted with the fans, everything you could want.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    If Prince can die, I suppose any of us can.
    yeah, it's not a good sign

So, are we gonna let the elevator bring us down?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?