Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: East Coast Family Oriented Beach Town Suggestions

East Coast Family Oriented Beach Town Suggestions

Hello Redszone.

The wife and I are trying to plan a trip for mid July (the week of the Republican National Convention to be specific, Cleveland is going to burn and we want to be far away).

We would like to stay in a beach town, but it needs to be somewhat close, like 8-10 hours tops, because of our little guy. We figure we will drive for an hour or two, stop, get out, etc, drive for another hour or two, etc and repeat until we are about halfway to the destination and stay for the night, do the same thing in the morning.

Anyways, what suggestions do you have for a more laid back beach community? We have been to North Myrtle Beach before, which I actually enjoyed, and think it would work out well, but would be nice to stay somewhere else.

Has anyone been to Virginia Beach, Ocean City, or any of the towns in Delaware? I have heard Virginia Beach and Ocean City can get pretty rowdy. Not what we are looking for.

Anyways, I appreciate any advice you may provide, and I thank you in advance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: East Coast Family Oriented Beach Town Suggestions

Look into the outer banks in NC, beautiful place, very family oriented. Not as much to do other than beach as other places (there is Hatteras, Kitty Hawk Wright Bros etc but nothing really recreational or entertainment wise outside that), but some good food options and very relaxing. Opposite of Myrtle Beach.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Look into the outer banks in NC, beautiful place, very family oriented. Not as much to do other than beach as other places (there is Hatteras, Kitty Hawk Wright Bros etc but nothing really recreational or entertainment wise outside that), but some good food options and very relaxing. Opposite of Myrtle Beach.
    Yeah, Outer Banks definitely sounds great, but I just think it would be too far away.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Yeah, Outer Banks definitely sounds great, but I just think it would be too far away.
    Without looking at a map its closer than Myrtle? Is there much difference to Va Beach? I only know NC beaches and Myrtle and area around there so cant offer more than those areas. Good luck and hope you find a great place!
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

In Delaware I would recommend Bethany Beach. Its very much family oriented and subdued. Its also the next major beach north of Ocean City, MD so you will get all the same stuff, without it being crowded and much cheaper. I would avoid Dewey and Rohoboth. They are more younger people with no kids looking to party.

In New Jersey, I would recommend Cape May or Wildwood Crest. They are pretty family oriented, you don't have to pay for beach tags* and also based on when you are going they are also very large compared to most of the other beaches in NJ. Cape May its probably like a quarter mile from the start of the beach to where the water is so there is plenty of room to spread out..

nce you get north of there Wildwood and North Wildwood again you are getting into more of a younger party crowd. Avalon and Stone Harbor are also very nice but very expensive.

In almost all of the beaches in NJ you have to pay for tags to go on the beach. Most rental places will provide them for you so its not a big deal. Its not even that they are super expensive. I think Ocean City NJ they are like $20 bucks for the season, but it is more of one more thing you need to remember to bring on top of all the other stuff you are slogging to the beach.

Ocean City, NJ was pretty tame when I went there. Fun boardwalk there at the time (maybe since destroyed by hurricane?). I'm not sure what age your son is that would require you to do that sort of driving plan?!? If he's young enough, he'll sleep, and if he's a bit older get a couple of movies and you're set.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Ocean City, NJ was pretty tame when I went there. Fun boardwalk there at the time (maybe since destroyed by hurricane?). I'm not sure what age your son is that would require you to do that sort of driving plan?!? If he's young enough, he'll sleep, and if he's a bit older get a couple of movies and you're set.
    He's 4 1/2 months old right now, will be about 7 1/2 months old when we want to do the trip.

We just get paranoid of him being in the car seat too long. We are first time parents so we are afraid of everything.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Try Cape May, NJ.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

He's 4 1/2 months old right now, will be about 7 1/2 months old when we want to do the trip.

We just get paranoid of him being in the car seat too long. We are first time parents so we are afraid of everything.
    He'll sleep. Don't wake him. Drive the whole way.

North Carolina and Grand Strand, SC. There are several beaches to choose from from Morehead City, NC to Charleston, SC. Even further down into Georgia, it's still nice and affordable. I have stayed at Pawleys Island, SC many times; it's far enough from Myrtle Beach that it feels uncrowded, yet close enough to do things kids like, such as putt putt, Ripley's, etc. And in between the two is Murrell's Inlet, with great seafood. An hour and a half south is Charleston, which actually may be an easier reach than Pawleys because of Interstates 26. Isle of Palms is quite nice in that area.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

12. Likes:

Eric from NC (04-24-2016)

I lived in Va. Beach for about 40 of my 47 years and I love it, but it's a big city (pop. 400,000-plus) that sells itself as a resort "town." If you want to be away from crowds, stick to the north end of the oceanfront. Problem with that is most of the restaurants, etc., are toward the south end but that's only a few miles away. I'm partial to the beaches along the Chesapeake Bay where it's typically less crowded, but in July it'll be pretty crowded everywhere, at least on the weekends. I used to live on the Bay, across the main drag (Shore Drive) from Lynnhaven Inlet and a walking/bike path that leads into First Landing (formerly Seashore) State Park. It's still my favorite part of the city. First Landing has a campground on the Bay side of the street too, if you're into that sort of thing.

If you decide VB is in the running, let me know if you want any more detailed info.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

14. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (04-22-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    North Carolina and Grand Strand, SC. There are several beaches to choose from from Morehead City, NC to Charleston, SC. Even further down into Georgia, it's still nice and affordable. I have stayed at Pawleys Island, SC many times; it's far enough from Myrtle Beach that it feels uncrowded, yet close enough to do things kids like, such as putt putt, Ripley's, etc. And in between the two is Murrell's Inlet, with great seafood. An hour and a half south is Charleston, which actually may be an easier reach than Pawleys because of Interstates 26. Isle of Palms is quite nice in that area.
    I've been to Charleston, love that area.

I've been to Charleston, love that area.
    Folly Beach, about a 20-minute drive from downtown Charleston, is a great little beach town. And Ocracoke Island in NC is beautiful. Both of these may be a longer drive than what you're looking for though.
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Folly Beach, about a 20-minute drive from downtown Charleston, is a great little beach town. And Ocracoke Island in NC is beautiful. Both of these may be a longer drive than what you're looking for though.
    I'm going to die in Ocracoke. We've developed a 10-year plan to be able to live there. After that, I'm never leaving.

But yeah, I wouldn't want to do that ferry ride with a baby.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I'm going to die in Ocracoke. We've developed a 10-year plan to be able to live there. After that, I'm never leaving.

But yeah, I wouldn't want to do that ferry ride with a baby.
    I don't blame you one bit except...hurricanes. But I've definitely heard worse ideas.

Good point about the ferry ride.
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?