Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Are there any movies that should not be remade?

Re: Are there any movies that should not be remade?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    So I'm going to put that one aside for a minute and bring up another contemporary western that needs more love: Open Range.
    It's one of my absolute favorites. The only movie that I've ever paid to see twice on the big screen, and I was at Walmart the day it came out on DVD. I love this movie.

...but holy smokes is the final gun fight awesome. You can make a real argument that it's the greatest western gunfight ever put on film.
    I think you could make the argument that it's the best gunfight put on film for any genre. IMO it even rivals the gunfight in Heat.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I wouldn't have thought anyone would attempt a remake of Ben-Hur, but here it comes. The trailer didn't look too bad.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I wouldn't have thought anyone would attempt a remake of Ben-Hur, but here it comes. The trailer didn't look too bad.
    The Charlton Heston version of Ben-Hur is itself a remake of a silent film from 1925, which was considered an epic in its day and the movie that put MGM on the map. The 1925 version of Ben-Hur was the most expensive film of the silent era, and the chariot scene was remade nearly shot-by-shot in 1959.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    The Charlton Heston version of Ben-Hur is itself a remake of a silent film from 1925, which was considered an epic in its day and the movie that put MGM on the map. The 1925 version of Ben-Hur was the most expensive film of the silent era, and the chariot scene was remade nearly shot-by-shot in 1959.
    I forgot about that (the rumors that a stuntman died during the silent version).
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Good stuff Klu.......also if I remember right there were several future stars in that version. I am thinking Lionel Barrymore, Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks, and Joan Crawford.

The silent film chariot scene is pretty amazing. It's no CGI (obviously) and no camera work tricks just stunt man and horses in a completely insane setup.

8. Likes:

Big Klu (06-18-2016)

Saw the first preview for The Magnificent Seven. Yeah, I'll go see it.

Saw the first preview for The Magnificent Seven. Yeah, I'll go see it.
    I will not. Sacrilege.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I will not. Sacrilege.
    ...The "original" Mag7 was a remake too.

Was that sacrilege?

Was that sacrilege?
    Probably because Ant Man wasn't one of the original Mag 7?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

13. Likes:

Raisor (06-20-2016)

Was that sacrilege?
    Eh, it's more of an homage to Seven Samurai. This is going to be a remake of the mag 7.

the new Ghostbusters looks promising... (LOL)

Might as well remake Cool Hand Luke with Jennifer Lopez in the lead role as "Cool Hand Lo." "I never seen a woman eat 50 egg salad sandwiches."

Casablanca remade perhaps with Jim Carrey and Reese Witherspoon? No wait, better yet... With Chris Pine and Zooey Deschenel. Comeback Actor(s) of the Year 2017 anyone? Anyone?

Or maybe "Aladdin Redux" with Robin Williams reprising his role as the genie via taped archive footage from outtakes of the original Aladdin. Actions figures at McDonalds... the whole sha-bang.

How about Blues Brothers 2020 with Jaden Smith and Miley Cyrus as "Jake and Elwoodia." "We're on a mission from Gosh."

All jokes aside though, nothing to worry about here as long as there are still plenty of comic books for Hollywood to regurgitate on auto-pilot ad-nauseum.
    Last edited by Bob Sheed; 07-01-2016 at 12:00 PM.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

16. Likes:

Kingspoint (07-05-2016),kpresidente (07-17-2016)

I don't think they should remake The Crow. I know that there's been a lot of talk, and a lot of names attached to the project at one time or another, but I really think that Brandon Lee's death on set adds a certain mystique to that film that could never be replicated via a remake.

As for Casablanca, I recall hearing at one time that a remake was in the works that would have starred Kevin Costner and Catherine Zeta Jones. I'm glad that never came to fruition.

Something else that I find funny is the fact that the whole remake/reboot phenomenon really kicked into high gear after the Hollywood writer's strike ended and they got their money. Guess there was no need to come up with new ideas after that.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    As for Casablanca, I recall hearing at one time that a remake was in the works that would have starred Kevin Costner and Catherine Zeta Jones. I'm glad that never came to fruition.
    Only if it is made by Michael Bay!
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?