Turn Off Ads?
Page 56 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6465253545556575859 LastLast

Thread: WWE Talk Pt. II: It's not a good thread, it's not a bad thread, it's THE thread...

Re: WWE Talk Pt. II: It's not a good thread, it's not a bad thread, it's THE thread..

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    Mic Foley said that even some legends might be making appearances soon going after the 24/7 belt. fighting for the Title soon as well. Slyder the announcers last night were saying what you said about bell hops etc attacking him for the belt.
    Think they'd do a throw back of having RTruth say he got pinned by Little Jimmy and he ran off with the belt?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: WWE Talk Pt. II: It's not a good thread, it's not a bad thread, it's THE thread..

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Bayley winning MITB was perfect booking.

Bayley cashing in was even better. She's got the 2nd best top rope elbow drop right now just behind Kairi Sane. Well ahead of Rollins, Elias et al.
    Bayley isn't interesting as a champ. Bayley is interesting chasing a championship.

She's also about as pure of a babyface character as they have working on the roster. The MITB briefcase is, fundamentally, a heel prop. The real storyline with her and winning MITB was the crisis of confidence required to cash in on someone when they can't fight back or is in an otherwise precarious situation. Or the debate between "doing the right thing" (announcing your challenge ahead of time) v. cashing in and getting a guaranteed win.

They took the quick pop and "moment" at the PPV (which was cool), but now they're left with Bayley is a generic face champion and no real direction to her storyline or character arc beyond "Stay on top of the mountain."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Bayley isn't interesting as a champ. Bayley is interesting chasing a championship.

She's also about as pure of a babyface character as they have working on the roster. The MITB briefcase is, fundamentally, a heel prop. The real storyline with her and winning MITB was the crisis of confidence required to cash in on someone when they can't fight back or is in an otherwise precarious situation. Or the debate between "doing the right thing" (announcing your challenge ahead of time) v. cashing in and getting a guaranteed win.

They took the quick pop and "moment" at the PPV (which was cool), but now they're left with Bayley is a generic face champion and no real direction to her storyline or character arc beyond "Stay on top of the mountain."
    This, cashing in MITB at MITB is the dumbest thing ever. MITB is all about the chase with the case.

I'm so tired of the cardboard cut with the monotone promos. I wish they'd done something along the lines of Charlotte loses she cannot be in ANY Women's title picture for 1 year and force the writers to do SOMETHING ELSE with her. At the rate WWE is cramming Charlotte into the title picture she'll break her dad's record by his 72nd birthday!

All 5' (Alexa) nothing has finally gotten out of my doghouse because she's done something other than being in the title picture and entertaining while she done it. She was almost as bad. Granted I think she's been hurt most of that but she's shown more ability outside the ring than Charlotte's done in YEARS.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

With AEW continuing to pick up former WWE talent, and landing a TV deal for this fall, its going to get interesting.

I actually bought "Double or Nothing" over the weekend -- first legitimate "PPV" I've bought since law school.

Vince McMahon and WWE should be scared out of their minds right now.

The productions values on the show were WWE-level without the annoying camerawork that WWE thinks is good for their product, the workrate was at NXT-level or better for most matches, and they have legitimate name-brand star power with guys like Chris Jericho and (now) Jon Moxley. They can back that up with guys who *will* be stars like Omega, the Bucks, and MJF as soon as the cable TV spotlight gets on them.

The other thing no one wants to talk about is that there is an entire generation of guys in WWE that are *not* WWE lifers -- guys like Owens, Zayn, Balor, Rusev, Cesaro, etc. were stars on the indy circuit before making the jump. I find it hard to believe they watched that show this weekend and didn't come away thinking "There's an alternative out there between life on the indy's and life under the iron fist of a 70+ year old man and his toadies running the E."

Things are gonna get really, really interesting here.

8. Likes:

M2 (05-28-2019),Tom Servo (05-31-2019)

I actually bought "Double or Nothing" over the weekend -- first legitimate "PPV" I've bought since law school.

Vince McMahon and WWE should be scared out of their minds right now.

The productions values on the show were WWE-level without the annoying camerawork that WWE thinks is good for their product, the workrate was at NXT-level or better for most matches, and they have legitimate name-brand star power with guys like Chris Jericho and (now) Jon Moxley. They can back that up with guys who *will* be stars like Omega, the Bucks, and MJF as soon as the cable TV spotlight gets on them.

The other thing no one wants to talk about is that there is an entire generation of guys in WWE that are *not* WWE lifers -- guys like Owens, Zayn, Balor, Rusev, Cesaro, etc. were stars on the indy circuit before making the jump. I find it hard to believe they watched that show this weekend and didn't come away thinking "There's an alternative out there between life on the indy's and life under the iron fist of a 70+ year old man and his toadies running the E."

Things are gonna get really, really interesting here.
    My son said glowing things about it. Anytime you put the Young Bucks against the Lucha Bros, you've got a winner.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    With AEW continuing to pick up former WWE talent, and landing a TV deal for this fall, its going to get interesting.
    I watched highlights of Double or Nothing. Some of the things they are doing is absolutely amazing. The Rhodes match was incredible!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

Not gonna spoil it for anyone, but if you are even remotely a fan of pro wrestling, Jericho's podcast interviewing Jon Moxley (nee Dean Ambrose) is an absolute must listen.

12. Likes:

dubc47834 (05-31-2019),Tom Servo (05-31-2019),TRF (06-05-2019)

So Heyman running RAW and Bischoff running SmackDown. For real, not kayfabe. That’s certainly one way to respond to spiraling ratings and general product malaise.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    So Heyman running RAW and Bischoff running SmackDown. For real, not kayfabe. That’s certainly one way to respond to spiraling ratings and general product malaise.
    Much as I love Heyman, isn't there someone less fossilized who maybe could bring a fresh perspective to the table? For instance, what if you gave one show to the Lucha Underground folks (and maybe Mike Quackenbush thrown in) and another to Gabe Sapolsky (the killer booker who runs Evolve and who founded ROH)? At some point they have to move beyond the 1990s.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Much as I love Heyman, isn't there someone less fossilized who maybe could bring a fresh perspective to the table? For instance, what if you gave one show to the Lucha Underground folks (and maybe Mike Quackenbush thrown in) and another to Gabe Sapolsky (the killer booker who runs Evolve and who founded ROH)? At some point they have to move beyond the 1990s.
    Vince is running back to the people he went to war against in the 90s to fight his war for him in 2019. In a sense, the Alliance won.

But I agree with you -- everything about the product needs a massive, massive shakeup. They need outside perspective and outside voices that don't need to clear things through a 73 year-old man. They did barely 5,000 tickets at the PPV on Sunday, and half that for RAW and Smackdown respectively. The ship is on fire and running aground, and the people in charge think the answer is more Shane McMahon putting himself over on live television.

16. Likes:

M2 (06-27-2019)

If Raw is going back to the attitude era stuff then Heyman is the right fit IMO.

This also brings up the question what is going to happen to TNA? They have been barely hanging on before AEW Got Started Up, now that it has, capturing that small market may be key.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I hope it ends the 390842 camera cuts each segment. That crap hurts my eyes and you lose so much on the action.

William Arthur Ward

19. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    If Raw is going back to the attitude era stuff then Heyman is the right fit IMO.

This also brings up the question what is going to happen to TNA? They have been barely hanging on before AEW Got Started Up, now that it has, capturing that small market may be key.
    I've read they found a new TV home. I wish ROH had half the production values IMPACT! has. If the two ever decided to merge, that would be a force. Look at IMPACT!'s videos on youtube and you can clearly see what I mean.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?