Turn Off Ads?
Page 58 of 67 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 ... LastLast

Thread: Royals interested in Bruce?

Re: Royals interested in Bruce?

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    Bruce for Verdugo, Barnes and Calhoun methinks.
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

2. Likes:

sdwagers (06-27-2016),Tom Servo (06-27-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!
    I 'd be happy to take the job, outta my way DickyWalt.
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

Watching some video of Nyquin this season with Cleveland, he's interesting. He seems to have a good, compact swing and can generate some power. So it's weird that his AAA stats were pretty pedestrian. His ceiling might be "just" a Seth Smith though, which is productive but of course ideally you're looking for an everyday guy.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Nick Cafardo:

Jay Bruce, OF, Reds — Bruce, 29, is having a very good season and would be a high-end acquisition. Some believe he’s got Giants written all over him, and perhaps he does as the Giants pursue a bat with Hunter Pence out for a while. Bruce has a .281 average with 16 home runs, 55 RBIs, 17 doubles, and 6 triples. He has scored 43 runs and is third in the National League with a .585 slugging percentage. He’s also just four home runs and three doubles shy of becoming just the 11th player in major league history to collect 20 homers, 20 doubles, and 6 triples prior to the All-Star break. Of the previous 10, eight are in the Hall of Fame. Not to mention, Bruce plays good defense. The one thing some scouts worry about is a second-half dropoff. Over his career, Bruce has hit .255/.805 in the first half, and .241/.765 in the second. It’s not uncommon, but must be factored in if you’re going to give up a lot to get him.
    (given the article's length I quoted the entire thing about Bruce)
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Nick Cafardo:

(given the article's length I quoted the entire thing about Bruce)
    I wonder if he got that from Richard Justice, who said the same thing about Bruce's defense a week or two ago.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    I wonder if he got that from Richard Justice, who said the same thing about Bruce's defense a week or two ago.
    Possibly. I wonder if that's the prevailing thought among scouts as well.

That said, I think one of the best indicators of trading partners is past trades and the Reds dealt Leake and Byrd to the Giants in separate deals last season, so why not? I'd like Arroyo and Mac Williamson with Susac as a throw in. Stay away from Jarrett Parker. If the Reds are interested in a pitcher at all, Coonrod added MPH to his fastball this year and his star is rising fast. Has helium, you might say.

Word is that Reddick is also on the market, but the sports guys here in the bay area say the A's would want to extract a premium from the Giants for trading within the market.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

My ideal deal with the Giants (not my starting point of course) would be:

Williamson
    Okert
    Susac

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Deal with the Tribe and I want one of Frazier, Zimmer or Nyquin. If it's Nyqin I want sweetener. If they say no, seems like there are several other suitors to turn to.

As I said before, if WallyDick can't turn Bruce into a very good young bat - they need to be gone.
    But why not take a TOR arm? It's not the bats that are killing the Reds, it's the pitching. Granted, taking Bruce out of the offense is a major blow, but assuming Winker gets healthy, he already has that spot filled. Plus, the Reds have Schebler who deserves a chance at everyday playing time in the bigs if Winker is not ready. Right now, the rotation of DeSclafani, Finnegan, Reed, Lamb and Straily is solid, but Bauer (or a similarly talented SP) would arguably be the best of the bunch and then the bottom starter could be moved to AAA for depth or into the bullpen.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    My ideal deal with the Giants (not my starting point of course) would be:

Williamson
    Okert
    Susac
    Not nearly enough top end talent in this deal for me to deal Bruce. The FO needs to be getting back a top-50 prospect or a solid, young regular for Bruce. I don't see that in your deal.

Sadly I think most of you are overvaluing what other GMs would give up for Bruce.

He's having a good year, but is coming off two terrible years, and is known for his inconsistency. Any GM that gives up a top piece or two, only to see Bruce fall apart in the last two months, would be in danger of losing his job.

I think often times we're so disappointed with the trades we make because we value our own players a bit too much. I would lower expectations. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

13. Likes:

gilpdawg (06-28-2016),REDREAD (06-27-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Sadly I think most of you are overvaluing what other GMs would give up for Bruce.

He's having a good year, but is coming off two terrible years, and is known for his inconsistency. Any GM that gives up a top piece or two, only to see Bruce fall apart in the last two months, would be in danger of losing his job.

I think often times we're so disappointed with the trades we make because we value our own players a bit too much. I would lower expectations. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.
    Hard to see the Reds getting three real prospects for Bruce. Plus the salary relief the Reds obviously want.

The best way to approach this deal is that the Reds must get full salary relief (no Reds contribution) and one top 100 or better type prospect. Plus more, but not expecting the "more" to be too valuable.

15. Likes:

Mitri (06-27-2016),REDREAD (06-27-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Hard to see the Reds getting three real prospects for Bruce. Plus the salary relief the Reds obviously want.

The best way to approach this deal is that the Reds must get full salary relief (no Reds contribution) and one top 100 or better type prospect. Plus more, but not expecting the "more" to be too valuable.
    honestly... I think Bruce is worth an A and B level prospect. Anything else is gravy and kudos if it happens.
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

17. Likes:

Tom Servo (06-27-2016)

assuming he keeps hitting I think the Reds can get a very good return for Bruce. the other team gets 1.5 years of Bruce at a very reasonable salary. how many 850+ OPS bats are out there on the trade market? not many. there will be multiple teams who want to win it all who pony up to make improvements in the next 35 days.

I've learned that, over the last couple of years, what I think a player is worth in trade and what the Reds will settle for are usually two vastly different things.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

20. Likes:

corkedbat (06-27-2016),membengal (06-29-2016),Ron Madden (06-27-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I've learned that, over the last couple of years, what I think a player is worth in trade and what the Reds will settle for are usually two vastly different things.
    Hence the underwhelming package I suggested from the Giants earlier. I actually think that's on par with a Verdugo(MLB #93)/Barnes(Dodgers #11) package.

Turn Off Ads?