Page 1 of 53 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Walk Up: 2016 Draft Discussion Continued Part III

Draft Walk Up: 2016 Draft Discussion Continued Part III

My current top 4

Senzel
    Puk
    Lewis
    Rutherford
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Draft Walk Up: 2016 Draft Discussion Continued Part III

Perez wouldn't be my first choice, mostly because I'm risk averse and like Nick Senzel's chances of being an average regular with star upside, but it's easy to see the appeal... he's an exceptional athlete, a great defender, has the physical skills to hit and the kind of frame that may lend itself to power production at some point down the line and do so at SS.

I understand favoring another player at #2 but I'm not sure I can wrap my head around being upset with the Reds if he's their guy at #2.

My current top 5:

1 Rutherford or Moniak (tie)

(Gap)

3 Puk
    4 Perez
    5 Lewis/Groome/Ray (tie)
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-27-2016 at 12:15 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

My top 5:

Senzel
    Moniak
    Lewis/Rutherford
    Perez or Puk

Fingers crossed that a big HS bat like Carter Kieboom, Will Benson, Nolan Jones, Alex Kirilloff, or Drew Mendoza fall to the Reds at #35.

My top targets:

Underslot at #2:
    1a. Mickey Moniak
    1b. Delvin Perez
    3. Nick Senzel

Overslot at #35 for one of the high school pitchers who fall:
    1. Joey Wentz
    2. Matt Manning
    3. Forrest Whitley

Overslot at #43:
    1. Carter Kieboom
    2. Drew Mendoza

7. Likes:

Redeyecat (05-26-2016)

1 -Moniak
    2- Puk/Lewis/Senzel/Rutherford
    3 - Pint/Groome
    4 - Perez

I am enamored with Moniak, think Puk can help more quickly than others, but would be absolutely ok with any of the people listed in 1-2. Although I favor Moniak, think Rutherford makes people regret passing on him.

What are the chances that they get cute and pick someone none of us has heard of?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Not to dash any hopes, but it really doesn't sound like the Reds are in on Moniak and Rutherford. This dude covers the So Cal prospect scene, he indicates the Reds presence scouting those guys is essentially non-existent.

https://twitter.com/Socal_prospects
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

11. Likes:

lollipopcurve (05-27-2016)

My top 5:

1. Perez
    2 (tie) Moniak and Rutherford (figure there's no real reason to sort it out as long as Perez stays at #1)
    4. Lewis
    5. Puk
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    What are the chances that they get cute and pick someone none of us has heard of?
    He'd have to a real life Sidd Finch for us not to have heard of him, though they could be in love with a HS arm like Manning, Anderson, Whitely, Garrett or Wentz.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Not to dash any hopes, but it really doesn't sound like the Reds are in on Moniak and Rutherford. This dude covers the So Cal prospect scene, he indicates the Reds presence scouting those guys is essentially non-existent.

Never like to hear the organization isn't mining SoCal. They've got to have an area guy or two, right?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

For me I can't really decide between Kyle Lewis and Mickey Moniak at #1 right now.

2nd - Moniak/Lewis/Senzel
    35th - Quantrill/N. Jones/Benson
    43rd - Kieboom/Marsh/Burdi

That seems extremely narrow minded by the FO, if true.
    "If I wanted you to understand I would have explained it better."
    - Johan Cruyff, RIP

Add this to the long, growing list of reasons the Reds should strongly consider moving on from Buckley (if there is any merit to it whatsoever).
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    My top 5:

1. Perez
    2 (tie) Moniak and Rutherford (figure there's no real reason to sort it out as long as Perez stays at #1)
    4. Lewis
    5. Puk
    Good list. I pick Moniak before Perez, but it could go either way. And I think Ray's jumped ahead of Senzel for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Add this to the long, growing list of reasons the Reds should strongly consider moving on from Buckley (if there is any merit to it whatsoever).
    No way to know if this is true, but if it is, Buckley should be fired immediately. Inexcusable to not check out 2 of the top 10 prospects in the draft when you have the #2 pick. Absolutely inexcusable.

18. Likes:

Number_Fourteen (06-03-2016)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I'd be absolutely shocked if that were remotely close to true. The Reds go heavy in SoCal every year. To the point that I've seen it suggested that they go too heavy there in the past and fall in love with guys from there.

Doing some digging - what that guy is actually saying is that the Reds haven't seen the guys since late March, not that they haven't seen them or weren't scouting them quite a bit before.

I can guarantee the Reds have seen both guys play, a whole bunch, in the past year. They just don't see them being candidates here, apparently.

And yes, M2, the Reds have a local scout in SoCal and a Scouting Supervisor in SoCal.

20. Likes:

BillDoran (05-27-2016),Number_Fourteen (06-03-2016)

Turn Off Ads?