Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 53 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Walk Up: 2016 Draft Discussion Continued Part III

Re: Draft Walk Up: 2016 Draft Discussion Continued Part III

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This organization needs TALENT. Whether it's from the mound of the plate/field doesn't really matter.
    Plus teams will pay for pitching. If we have 'too many' top end arms that's easily rectified by trading one or two for impact bats.
    "If I wanted you to understand I would have explained it better."
    - Johan Cruyff, RIP

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

How soon following the draft can players be traded? I know it used to be a year prior to the Trea Turner situation, but I believe that's changed.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I have noticed that the Reds seem to like Gators based on last offseason where they noted DeSclafani and Crawford were both guys they had interest in coming of out college before trading for them.

I also think the Buckley bashing is a bit out of hand at this point. I think we could use a fresh pair of eyes and the whole shebang could use a shakeup, but man, you'd think the guy never oversaw a single successful player developed the way Redszone talks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    How soon following the draft can players be traded? I know it used to be a year prior to the Trea Turner situation, but I believe that's changed.
    After the World Series is the new rule.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

BillDoran (05-27-2016),WrongVerb (05-27-2016)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

For those of you who are bashing Buckley and what he's done, I'd enjoy something comparing what he's done, over the the first three rounds to some other scouting directors around baseball. I haven't done an in depth look or anything, but I think the rate at which he's drafted players and turned them into big leaguers is probably going to fair well with just about anyone else. What he's missing is that true superstar in his drafts. Anyone up for the task?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    This organization needs TALENT. Whether it's from the mound of the plate/field doesn't really matter.
    I will never understand this logic. Every organization needs both pitching and batting/fielding talent. The Reds currently have a lot of young pitching talent and no batting talent. The best hitting prospect the Reds have is having a season at AAA where he is displaying no power. The Reds need bats. It's so obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
    Plus teams will pay for pitching. If we have 'too many' top end arms that's easily rectified by trading one or two for impact bats.
    Everyone always says it's easy to trade young pitching for young hitting. Trading is never easy IMO.

9. Likes:

mth123 (05-27-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I will never understand this logic. Every organization needs both pitching and batting/fielding talent. The Reds currently have a lot of young pitching talent and no batting talent. The best hitting prospect the Reds have is having a season at AAA where he is displaying no power. The Reds need bats. It's so obvious.
    I agree 100% with this and your next post. I would not feel good at all with our FO trying to trade for impact bats, look at the last few trades. Plus, at #2, assuming the scouts do their job, you have the best chance of getting that impact position guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    I agree 100% with this and your next post. I would not feel good at all with our FO trying to trade for impact bats, look at the last few trades. Plus, at #2, assuming the scouts do their job, you have the best chance of getting that impact position guy.
    Yep, I also don't understand the mindset of "Lets draft another pitcher, we can just trade one of these other pitchers in our organization the team has spent years developing for a bat."

Uhh...What? How does that make sense?

Yep, I also don't understand the mindset of "Lets draft another pitcher, we can just trade one of these other pitchers in our organization the team has spent years developing for a bat."

Yep, if Reds fans haven't noticed by now, teams aren't in a hurry to part with big time bats. It would take Reed or Rob Steve to get anything close to what we can get with the #2 pick and we aren't getting rid of either of them. This is our best chance, as a small market team, to acquire a future superstar. Which is why I prefer Lewis, Perez, or Moniak to Senzel, their higher ceilings.

I'd be cool with Puk if he's the Reds' top guy. Feels like we've bee overlooking him based on our collective thirst for a stud offensive prospect.

There's no such thing as too much pitching, and this org certainly isn't close to it.

What's hard to understand about it? If the best talent available is a pitcher why wouldn't you take it? You're getting too hung up on the idea that we NEED a bat. Yes, a bat would be nice, but teams built on pitching can go far too, and given that we're going to have a very low pick again next year and we still have some enticing trade chips (Bruce mostly, potentially Bailey, but also young pitchers out the wahoo especially if we take another one).

There are a few teams out there that need pitching and have an 'excess' of potentially good to great bats. Boston, Houston and Texas could all use pitching and have no shortage of nice potential bats. It wouldn't be stretch to make a play for Bregman, Benintendi or Brinson.

Not to mention, again, that given how volatile the draft is we could just as easily get a 'superstar' bat at 35/43. Just look at the top 20 batters in the league over the last 3 years how many were drafted in the top 5? Prospect projection and development isn't actually a science.
    Last edited by Cannon; 05-27-2016 at 02:49 PM.
    "If I wanted you to understand I would have explained it better."
    - Johan Cruyff, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Cannon View Post
    What's hard to understand about it? If the best talent available is a pitcher why wouldn't you take it? You're getting too hung up on the idea that we NEED a bat. Yes, a bat would be nice, but teams built on pitching can go far too, and given that we're going to have a very low pick again next year and we still have some enticing trade chips (Bruce mostly, but also young pitchers out the wahoo especially if we take another one).

There are a few teams out there that need pitching and have an 'excess' of potentially good to great bats. Boston, Houston and Texas could all use pitching and have no shortage of nice potential bats. It wouldn't be stretch to make a play for Bregman, Benintendi or Brinson.
    I understand, but we already have a minor league system built on pitching with 1 bat who is reaaaaaallllly struggling at AAA right now.

What if you believe the best pitcher available has Cy Young potential while the best hitter projects to be maybe a tick above average for his position?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

17. Likes:

redsmetz (05-27-2016)

I understand, but we already have a minor league system built on pitching with 1 bat who is reaaaaaallllly struggling at AAA right now.
    He's reaaaaaallllly not struggling. Look at the BB to K numbers and his BABIP in May. He's actually hitting over .300 for the last 5 games as well.

We went through this last year when he was hitting .229/.343/.314 in AA for the entire season going into June 1st. He'll be fine.

19. Likes:

cincyinco (05-27-2016),Edd Roush (05-27-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    What if you believe the best pitcher available has Cy Young potential while the best hitter projects to be maybe a tick above average for his position?
    I'd say you're looking at a different draft class if that were the case. Nobody has distinguish himself above the others from what I've seen. If there isn't a clear cut choice I'd take the hitter this year.

Turn Off Ads?