Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jermaine Curtis

Jermaine Curtis

Looking at the OBP thread, and seeing who's developing in the system, it shows Jermaine Curtis as leading the Int'l League. His numbers all around beg a look at a promotion with Suarez scuffling badly. Short sample size, but why not flip them on the MLB roster giving Suarez a chance to regroup. Curtis may have warts that you here on the minors board may know of. Curtis is 28, so a move sooner that later, would be worth a look.

2. Likes:

Kc61 (05-30-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jermaine Curtis

Send Pacheco out. Do not reward below average performing even in a rebuilding year ....even if it is just a bench player. You have 2 Catchers, his only need was for a possible 3rd.
    I am sure he is a good guy but rewarding that with a roster spot, just like Cotham because you have to show something for the Chapman trade I guess.....is why this FO gets few plaudits
    and a lot of befuddlement in it's approach to roster moves. Chuckie said this a few months ago......it is almost as if the 1990's Mike Brown is running this organization.

Pacheco has been a major leaguer since 2011. 1146 PAs.

His lifetime, major league OPS is .677, not bad for a bench guy.

This year, he hasn't hit, but it's only been 48 PAs.

I think the Reds would say that, based on his track record and versatility, Pacheco is worth keeping on the bench for awhile longer.

One of the problems evaluating bench players is that one slump over a small sample of at bats makes them look terrible. They sometimes don't get the fuller chance. But their career stats may show more value.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-30-2016 at 09:22 PM.

Alright, Curtis/ Pacheco swap then? Curtis needs to be brought up.

7. Likes:

Tuff Nut (05-31-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by '69 & Vine View Post
    Alright, Curtis/ Pacheco swap then? Curtis needs to be brought up.

I agree. Jermaine Curtis was leading the league in batting avg. for the first couple months of the season as well and is still at 326. That coupled with a 440 obp means he can help the big boys right now.

9. Likes:

'69 (05-31-2016),Old school 1983 (05-31-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Pacheco has been a major leaguer since 2011. 1146 PAs.

His lifetime, major league OPS is .677, not bad for a bench guy.

This year, he hasn't hit, but it's only been 48 PAs.

I think the Reds would say that, based on his track record and versatility, Pacheco is worth keeping on the bench for awhile longer.

One of the problems evaluating bench players is that one slump over a small sample of at bats makes them look terrible. They sometimes don't get the fuller chance. But their career stats may show more value.
    He also spent the most of those at-bats in Colorado.

Relative to the league, his career has been summarized as being a terrible hitter, however, one who is versatile including being able to catch.

Without Mes on the roster, I don't get why Pacheco is on the team.

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-31-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    He also spent the most of those at-bats in Colorado.

Relative to the league, his career has been summarized as being a terrible hitter, however, one who is versatile including being able to catch.

Without Mes on the roster, I don't get why Pacheco is on the team.
    Because we have to have a terrible 25th guy that screams versatility with no redeeming offensive qualities. Wilson Valdez, Miguel Cairo, Hanrahan, Schumaker, Pacheco.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Seriously though, when does Curtis get a shot? I get that he is 29, but he has had a monsterous OBP his entire minor league career and only 5 MLB PA's.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

For whatever reason Jermaine is a guy who has been pegged as AAAA and now, at 29, his chances are slim and none
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Seriously though, when does Curtis get a shot? I get that he is 29, but he has had a monsterous OBP his entire minor league career and only 5 MLB PA's.
    Can't you basically say the same thing about Selsky?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Can't you basically say the same thing about Selsky?
    Yes and no. Curtis profiles a little better. Doesn't have the same pop as Selsky, but Selsky doesn't exactly have a ton of pop. Curtis walks as often as he strikes out, can play around the field more.

17. Likes:

CySeymour (07-13-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    For whatever reason Jermaine is a guy who has been pegged as AAAA and now, at 29, his chances are slim and none
    The reality is he is probably not much different than Ivan Dejesus at the big league level, but might as well give him a shot, see if he is a useful utility guy to hang onto, since Dejesus has shown not to be.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yes and no. Curtis profiles a little better. Doesn't have the same pop as Selsky, but Selsky doesn't exactly have a ton of pop. Curtis walks as often as he strikes out, can play around the field more.
    And that's why we pay Doug the big bucks to provide this type of info.

Thanks, Doug.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    There are players at Curtis' age who are highly experienced and can dominate AAA pitchers. But the team personnel may conclude that the player won't be successful in the majors.

I think Curtis may get called up if Cozart is traded. But if the Reds believed he is part of the future, he would be a Red by now.

Beware drawing too many conclusions from minor league stats. There is usually a context.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    There are players at Curtis' age who are highly experienced and can dominate AAA pitchers. But the team personnel may conclude that the player won't be successful in the majors.

I think Curtis may get called up if Cozart is traded. But if the Reds believed he is part of the future, he would be a Red by now.

Beware drawing too many conclusions from minor league stats. There is usually a context.
    I definitely agree with you there. I am not expecting much from him, but it just seems odd that he has 5 major league PA's to his name and still hasn't had a call this year with as bad as the Reds have been. He has generally put up a good avg/obp throughout his whole minor league career, even before he was older and experienced. Based on his games played numbers in the Cardinals system I would assume he has been bit with a lot of injuries as well. I just want to see if he is in fact a AAA guy or perhaps a useful utility guy going forward.

Turn Off Ads?