Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 50th Anniversary of Pet Sounds

50th Anniversary of Pet Sounds

The greatness of this album was explained to me for years. I like the Beach Boys, so I didn't push back. But I'm also generation Punk Rock, so I don't think I really got it. It's "produced", it's glossy, it features (egads) strings and harmonies.

Then I got old. And I got it.

So I listen to it every couple of months. And it's magical. Truly.

http://www.vox.com/2016/5/16/1167594...th-anniversary

Like every time I listen to it I like it more than the last time.

It changed the game. Lennon and McCartney supposedly raced back to the recording studio to record Sgt. Pepper. And that's great. Sgt. Pepper is a fantastic album. I loved it before I could appreciate Pet Sounds. But as an adult Pet Sounds feels more authentic to me -- like I'm listening to a genius who realized the potential of the modern recording studio -- while holding on to his rapidly diminishing hold on reality.
    Last edited by Rojo; 06-04-2016 at 09:13 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 50th Anniversary of Pet Sounds

It was disruptive in a huge way.

One of the most important albums in Rock history
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    The greatness of this album was explained to me for years. I like the Beach Boys, so I didn't push back. But I'm also generation Punk Rock, so I don't think I really got it. It's "produced", it's glossy, it features (egads) strings and harmonies.

It changed the game. Lennon and McCartney supposedly raced back to the recording studio to record Sgt. Pepper. And that's great. Sgt. Pepper is a fantastic album. I loved it before I could appreciate Pet Sounds. But as an adult Pet Sounds feels more authentic to me -- like I'm listening to a genius who realized the potential of the modern recording studio -- while holding on to his rapidly diminishing hold on reality.
    If you haven't seen "Love & Mercy" I really recommend it.

School's out. What did you expect?

5. Likes:

westofyou (06-07-2016)

Love and Mercy was my favorite film of last year

Wilson must have really influenced Billy Sherrill too, his production of late 60's early 70's Country is straight out of the Pet Sounds playbook

There is no greater evocation of all the conflicted inner feelings associated with being young.

Great quote: "Wouldn't It Be Nice" is a happy song about not getting what you want".
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

9. Likes:

Chip R (06-10-2016),IslandRed (06-08-2016),marcshoe (06-08-2016),Rojo (06-08-2016)

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post

I love the Beach Boys, and as a young lad, I wore out the Endless Summer double album (which was relatively new at the time, not that I'm old or anything). But Pet Sounds was a little over my head back then. It was probably a decade later before I listened to it and really heard it.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

11. Likes:

marcshoe (06-08-2016),RFS62 (06-09-2016)

Going to see Brian Wilson perform Pet Sounds at the Fox Theater in Detroit on my birthday this fall.

I am PUMPED.

Going to gorge on Pegasus Tavernas beforehand. WOY knows what I am talking about.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-09-2016),marcshoe (06-08-2016),westofyou (06-10-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I love the Beach Boys, and as a young lad, I wore out the Endless Summer double album (which was relatively new at the time, not that I'm old or anything). But Pet Sounds was a little over my head back then. It was probably a decade later before I listened to it and really heard it.
    Early teens, I somehow managed to listen to Endless Summer constantly when riding my bike up and down the road. Maybe I had a basket; I don't remember. And yeah, I'm old enough that it was maybe a year or two old.

Pet Sounds, once you get into it, is so different. I've always found it brilliantly, overwhelmingly, sad.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Going to see Brian Wilson perform Pet Sounds at the Fox Theater in Detroit on my birthday this fall.

I am PUMPED.

Going to gorge on Pegasus Tavernas beforehand. WOY knows what I am talking about.
    Strong choice, although I think Pizza Papalis has better deep dish than any of the spots in Chicago...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Strong choice, although I think Pizza Papalis has better deep dish than any of the spots in Chicago...
    Then you have never been to Piquad's.

There is a Pizza Papalis in Toledo, meh.

17. Likes:

BillDoran (06-17-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Then you have never been to Piquad's.

There is a Pizza Papalis in Toledo, meh.
    I have! It's a nice imitation of Detroit-style in Chicago with what they do to the edges of crust. I'll still take Buddy's (and I don't care if it has multiple locations)...

19. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (06-10-2016)

I actually prefer New York style pizza.

With that said, I have a lot of Greek blood running through my veins so I will choose Pegasus Tavernas over deep dish pizza every day of the week and thrice on Sunday.

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (06-10-2016)

Phenomenal album. Game changer. My favorite song off the album is the haunting "God Only Knows".

I was down at my sister's this week and borrowed the book on Brian Wilson "Wouldn't It Be Nice: My Own Story".
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

23. Likes:

Chip R (06-17-2016),marcshoe (06-17-2016)

Turn Off Ads?