Turn Off Ads?
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738

Thread: 2016 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

Re: 2016 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Really? That makes me concerned for the state of track and field in Iowa.
    It's gone downhill since my nephew graduated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Likes:

M2 (06-10-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    It's not much of a "guess" when the topic is athletes testing positive for PEDs and nonsense excuses. You'll be right 99 times out of 100 (or more).
    Typically there aren't global tainting issues to consider. In this instance it was worth considering.

If we "tainted" card was used on Sharapova, I would agree with you. That's someone with a regulated diet and such. If she tests positive, not much you can argue.

"So Fla Red"

"Cardinals internal notes on Delvin Perez "Already engaged in team conditioning program"

I will not engage in any St Louis PEDbirds innuendo.

I'm sure he is a gritty, lunch pail kid, always ready to play hard and to the edge but within the rules... Pittsburgh Stealer or Pedbird. Phrase applies to either...

6. Likes:

BillDoran (06-10-2016),Patrick Bateman (06-10-2016)

I'm very happy with Senzel and Trammell (a distant relative of Alan??? j/k) but not thrilled with Okey. Too many catchers too high in the draft. Have they given up on Tyler Stephenson?

Draft Day 1 Thoughts:

Will Craig picked in round 1. Sweet!! Go Deacs!

To the Pirates? Sonofa...

77 guys drafted yesterday. 7 are from metro ATL high schools.

Cardinals first 3 picks are named Delvin, Dylan and Dakota? I already want to punch each one of them in the nose.

Quote Originally Posted by cobike View Post
    Too many catchers too high in the draft. Have they given up on Tyler Stephenson?
    You want depth. If Stephenson doesn't pan out the Reds need another option (other than Chadwick Tromp, whom we all love unconditionally). Okey's more of a grit guy, which can work behind the plate. Nothing wrong with having him and Stephenson, who's probably going to repeat at Dayton next season, working separate rails.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

10. Likes:

BillDoran (06-10-2016),Edd Roush (06-10-2016)

(other than Chadwick Tromp, whom we all love unconditionally)
    They're forming in straight line
    They're going through a tight wind
    The kids are losing their minds
    Chadwick Tromp!

They're piling in the back seat
    They're generating steam heat
    Pulsating to the back beat
    Chadwick Tromp!
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

12. Likes:

BillDoran (06-10-2016),Hypnotoad (06-10-2016),M2 (06-10-2016),ThatPitchIsDunn (06-13-2016),WrongVerb (06-10-2016)

You want depth. If Stephenson doesn't pan out the Reds need another option (other than Chadwick Tromp, whom we all love unconditionally). Okey's more of a grit guy, which can work behind the plate. Nothing wrong with having him and Stephenson, who's probably going to repeat at Dayton next season, working separate rails.
    But with a high 2nd round pick? After spending a first last year on Stephenson? Also it seemed a reach for me. I didn't see Okey anywhere on the best-available lists (was watching MLBN). I am admittedly gunshy on this catcher-first strategy after seeing the Reds come away with next to nothing after taking Mes and Grandal so high in consecutive years.

Also it seemed a reach for me. I didn't see Okey anywhere on the best-available lists (was watching MLBN).
    Must have been looking at the wrong lists bruh, Okey was considered a possible 1st rounder and he was right around #50 overall on both BA and MLB.com's lists.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

15. Likes:

Edd Roush (06-10-2016),WrongVerb (06-10-2016)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Must have been looking at the wrong lists bruh, Okey was considered a possible 1st rounder and he was right around #50 overall on both BA and MLB.com's lists.
    Prior to the draft, draftsite.com had the Reds taking Okey at 43. They nailed that one and Senzel. Missed by 2 spots on Wentz.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Okey dokey. I can't verify the best-available lists I saw last night. Maybe I missed him. However, no one in this thread said one word about Okey before he got drafted at #43. Sounds like some Monday morning quarterbacking to me.

Okey dokey. I can't verify the best-available lists I saw last night. Maybe I missed him. However, no one in this thread said one word about Okey before he got drafted at #43. Sounds like some Monday morning quarterbacking to me.
    I'd have selected someone else, but I can't work myself up to throw furniture about the Okey pick. The went hitter, athlete, grit with their first three picks. Bit of a smorgasbord. All three were well-regarded.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Right, Okey may not have been the pick most of us would have taken, but he sounds like a sure fire catcher - meaning he'll remain at that position and not be moved off - and he doesn't appear to have been what you'd call a reach by any means. The Reds were linked to a few catchers as I recall. They were obviously looking to draft that position at some point. They got someone who looks solid.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Turn Off Ads?