Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

2016 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

Happy Draft Day everyone!
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-09-2016 at 07:51 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Likes:

Cannon (06-09-2016),DocRed (06-09-2016),Edd Roush (06-09-2016),Gallen5862 (06-09-2016),lollipopcurve (06-09-2016),nmculbreth (06-09-2016),reds1869 (06-09-2016)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2016 Draft Day Thread (Day 1)

Let the madness begin!
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Really crossing my fingers we get the future set-up guy we need!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

6. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (06-09-2016),CySeymour (06-09-2016),NC Reds (06-09-2016)

I was so excited about today for months and now .... Meh

My prediction is Senzel. My preference would be Rutherford or Moniak.
    Last edited by Benihana; 06-09-2016 at 07:47 AM.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'm very happy with the idea of Senzel. RH Votto-like/lite at 3B then shoot for the moon at 35/43.
    "If I wanted you to understand I would have explained it better."
    - Johan Cruyff, RIP

10. Likes:

DocRed (06-09-2016),Edd Roush (06-09-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    My prediction is Senzel. My preference would be Rutherford or Moniak.
    My prediction is Puk.

I'd be happier with Senzel, Lewis, or Moniak.

I'm hopeful that the supplemental pick is a steal and not a savings pick.

If they go cheap at 35, 43, or with their 3rd rounder, I'm far less likely to be as involved and understanding a fan of the team. This is the time to spend.

Exciting day. We're fortunate the Reds have such a huge pool this year -- should be fun.

Not sweating the #2 pick at all. They'll get a good prospect there. The real intrigue for me is 35/43. Seeing how the whole first round plays out, leading up to 35/43, will make for some good drama.

13. Likes:

Benihana (06-09-2016),Redeyecat (06-09-2016)

Keith Law's final mock is Puk to Reds. Interestingly, he says the Braves may go Ian Anderson at 3. That would be a shocker.

Also Law mentions the Reds are very high on Moniak, which is the first time I've heard that. I still think Reds will go Puk or Senzel, unfortunately.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    My prediction is Puk.

I'd be happier with Senzel, Lewis, or Moniak.

I'm hopeful that the supplemental pick is a steal and not a savings pick.

If they go cheap at 35, 43, or with their 3rd rounder, I'm far less likely to be as involved and understanding a fan of the team. This is the time to spend.
    If there is something we know, it is the Reds are going to spend their draft pool money, they have every year. Really what does it matter what order they spend that pool money in? They are going to do it, period

16. Likes:

RiverRat13 (06-09-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Keith Law's final mock is Puk to Reds. Interestingly, he says the Braves may go Ian Anderson at 3. That would be a shocker.

Also Law mentions the Reds are very high on Moniak, which is the first time I've heard that. I still think Reds will go Puk or Senzel, unfortunately.
    I like Moniak and would be happy to have him as the Reds pick, but I don't see a huge difference between he and Senzel other than the high school/college thing and that Moniak plays the outfield (with questions about arm strength). Both are supposed to be advanced hitters with some scouts having questions about their potential power production. The first part is more important to me than the latter.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by SYCMiniBus View Post
    Really what does it matter what order they spend that pool money in?
    Good God, yes.

Pay the difference-makers-- Senzel, Rutherford, Perez, top talent that slips.

You have to wonder if the possibly serious arm injury to Vincent Velasquez is changing the conversation in the Phillies draft room. That system is pretty thin on arms with Mark Appel also looking problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I like Moniak and would be happy to have him as the Reds pick, but I don't see a huge difference between he and Senzel other than the high school/college thing and that Moniak plays the outfield (with questions about arm strength). Both are supposed to be advanced hitters with some scouts having questions about their potential power production. The first part is more important to me than the latter.
    I think the difference being that Moniak is a potential gold glove CF with + speed and still has more room to grow into power and fill out. Senzel is mostly filled out already and profiles for average defence at 3rd. If their bats are the same level Moniak provides much more value defensively and on the basepaths.
    "If I wanted you to understand I would have explained it better."
    - Johan Cruyff, RIP

21. Likes:

Rojo (06-09-2016)

Puk still makes the most sense for the Phillies. I think they've just been trying to drive his price down with Moniak/Lewis negotiations.

With all this talk about top talent slipping to the #35 and beyond, I feel better about about the Reds picking someone other than Puk. You'd have to think Puk is looking for at least $1MM or more than Senzel.

Turn Off Ads?